Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Calen Addison (D) and Nikolay Kulemin (F) to PTO's

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So what? We now need BERT's approval to talk about what we want to talk?

I posted without quoting anybody, post #27. It's that simple.
I mean you could be open to the fact that Brannstrom isnt better than Addison in every single way while still being the superior player. Thats all, and open to the fact that Brannstrom isnt very good in general at the NHL level based on him only getting a one year 900k deal and the sens let him walk. That there likely isnt a big difference between these two players. They are NHL tweeners, in the right situation they can get by if not they could struggle. They both dont dress in a playoff teams top 6 d men if they are a contender.

Reactions: aragorn and Masked

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I guess the obvious comment is both of these PTO players we picked up seem underwhelming. We could use a defensive D-man for the bottom pair, but that’s not Addison. And I have no idea if Kulemin is still a NHL capable player which is probably what a lot of other people are thinking as well.

Its hard to know what to think when you don’t have all the background and facts, but from the optics perspective we could say we were hoping for more.

Brannstrom could have been an option I suppose, but not with an AAV of $2 m +.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Interesting that Addison is Branny 2 but right shot.
An offensive option to pair with kleven the gorilla.
Defo a tweener but we'll see.
Dunno the thinking behind grandpa kulemin though

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Addison is going to be an interesting addition if he makes the team as depth. Was Kulemin that leaf player who got into hot water for something? I doubt he makes it, maybe Belleville.

Reactions: BigRig4

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Interesting that Addison is Branny 2 but right shot.
An offensive option to pair with kleven the gorilla.
Defo a tweener but we'll see.
Dunno the thinking behind grandpa kulemin though
Kleven’s puck moving skill might be underrated.

Defo?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
theres-a-name-ive-not-heard-in-many-years.gif

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Addison does not strike me as a Green/Staios guy. Maybe they want him on a two-way for Belleville?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Also….if we could get some sens productions like that Becoming Wild video that would be incredible.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Addison does not strike me as a Green/Staios guy. Maybe they want him on a two-way for Belleville?

I keep hearing about how certain players are "Green type guys", or not (not just from you). Do anyone of us really know what he's looking for as a coach?

All I've really heard about Green is that he's very detail oriented. I don't think that just applies to physical players. I heard from someone on here that he wasn't big MacEwen fan, for example. As a rookie Quinn Hughes got the 2nd most TOI/game, then led the team in that category after that under Green.

We won't know until we see the team in action for a good 20-40 games what Green is looking for in players, but if I had to bet I'd say it will be players who are highly coachable. I'm certainly not saying Addison will be that guy but we won't know what kind of players Green will favour on the Sens.

Reactions: BondraTime

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Addison is better than JBD, but his style doesn't seem to be what someone like Kleven would need to succeed. I'd put JBD as more suited for that and overall has what Staios seems to want for the roster so I think JBD will be our 3RD to start the season

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Addison is better than JBD, but his style doesn't seem to be what someone like Kleven would need to succeed. I'd put JBD as more suited for that and overall has what Staios seems to want for the roster so I think JBD will be our 3RD to start the season
He's better offensively, but isn't good enough to have an offensive role in the NHL. He's poor at everything else.

You're not playing him up a goal
Not playing him down a goal
Not playing him in a close game
Not playing him on PP1 or PP2
Not playing him on the PK1 or PK2
Doesn't fill a physical role

He's got no role in the NHL, you can't survive in the league without any kind of role.

You could sub him in for 30/40 games, if you need too, but there are better options within every organization.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hope that Addison can be a good player for us, but I don't see where the optimism comes from for people thinking he'll beat out JBD for that bottom pair spot,

even looking strictly at offence, JBD does about as much as he does at 5v5, he's done nothing outside the PP and he won't get that here.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He's better offensively, but isn't good enough to have an offensive role in the NHL. He's poor at everything else.

You're not playing him up a goal
Not playing him down a goal
Not playing him in a close game
Not playing him on PP1 or PP2
Not playing him on the PK1 or PK2
Doesn't fill a physical role

He's got no role in the NHL, you can't survive in the league without any kind of role.

You could sub him in for 30/40 games, if you need too, but there are better options within every organization.
I don't disagree with you, but i'm also not putting JBD in any of the situations above aside from PK1.

JBD isn't physically bullied as much as Addison so I think he'll end up on the roster unless Addison's puck moving out of his own zone really impresses the management.

My opinion of him being better than JBD is solely based on him having played more games and been given more responsibility relative to JBD (more ice time mainly), but I fully except JBD to outperform him and be our 3RD with Addison being our 7th D

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I hope that Addison can be a good player for us, but I don't see where the optimism comes from for people thinking he'll beat out JBD for that bottom pair spot,

even looking strictly at offence, JBD does about as much as he does at 5v5, he's done nothing outside the PP and he won't get that here.

Gotta think maybe they think he'll be a Belleville/two way contract that can QB the PP down there.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think Kulemin is better than MacEwen and if he hustles hard enough, might be able to get in half a season as a 4th line RW. We'll see what happens.

I also think Addison makes the team and alternates with Hamonic/JBD during the season. Addison might even force us to waive JBD, I think he's a clearly better dman.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Addison will end up as a depth player, likely starting in Belleville if he is signed at all to work his way up IMO. Nobody is going to push anyone around who is Kleven's partner because Kleven will be there in an instant to put an end to it especially if it is his UND buddy JBD. I think they are going to make a good shutdown pairing in time.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Gotta think maybe they think he'll be a Belleville/two way contract that can QB the PP down there.

The 50 NHL contract max may factor into what happens. They're at 49 contracts right now, and I have a hard to time seeing them going to 50 just keep a guy like Addison in Belleville. I think he either comes in a steals JBD's job - at which point they probably look to move JBD - or he'll be released.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The 50 NHL contract max may factor into what happens. They're at 49 contracts right now, and I have a hard to time seeing them going to 50 just keep a guy like Addison in Belleville. I think he either comes in a steals JBD's job - at which point they probably look to move JBD - or he'll be released.
Yakemchuk and Andonovski won't count against the 50 contract limit once they're re-assigned to their junior clubs so it's more like 47.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I assume most of these guys get PTOs for reasons other than being seen as important players in the NHL. Favors to agents, training camp fodder/competition, potential injury replacements if multiple guys go down, depth AHL players etc.

I'd be shocked if either have any relevance on the NHL team this year. At absolute best one of them occasionally logs 8-12 mins/game for short periods of time because something else went wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad