Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Calen Addison (D) and Nikolay Kulemin (F) to PTO's

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Well then you might be confusing a PTO with signing a player in free agency.
Sorry, but that is not the case, and if were being honest with ourselves the vast majority of free agent signings this team makes are extremely underwhelming as well outside of a few bright spots like Giroux, Gonchar, Hasek and MacArthur.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sorry, but that is not the case, and if were being honest with ourselves the vast majority of free agent signings this team makes are extremely underwhelming as well outside of a few bright spots like Giroux, Gonchar, Hasek and MacArthur.
This is last years PTO's. A whole bunch of nothing.

And the year before.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Nik Kool-Aid Man is coming for that roster spot.
kool-aid-man-oh-yeah.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Icelevel

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont think you totally grasp the type of players who are available on PTO's. Perhaps you can give an example of a player right now that would be any better than say Addison to bring in on a PTO?

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
This is last years PTO's. A whole bunch of nothing.

And the year before.

Some of these guys ended up signing contracts and being useful players, and Danton Heinen almost scored 20 goals last year and would've been tied for 4th on this team. The point I'm making is that this team barely ever tries to get skilled players regardless if they are available for drafting, in free agency, or signing PTO contracts in the summer. It's almost always a reach on replacement-level players.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I dont think you totally grasp the type of players who are available on PTO's. Perhaps you can give an example of a player right now that would be any better than say Addison to bring in on a PTO?
Right now with a month to go, there isn't a huge list of players left but some names that immediately come to mind are Shattenkirk, Barrie (Gone), Giordano, JVR, etc.

Feel free to check out the list of available players yourself:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Right now with a month to go, there isn't a huge list of players left but some names that immediately come to mind are Shattenkirk, Barrie (Gone), Giordano, JVR, etc.

Feel free to check out the list of available players yourself:
You want Tyson Barrie? Guys soft as butter and slow could not stay in the lineup in Nashville on the downside of his career.

Giordano is 41 years old and cant keep up 0 interest.

JVR was invisible in the playoffs because he was too slow 0 interest.

Shattenkirk was an option but they went for the younger faster player that they have familiarity with in the organization in Sexton. That still has some potential upside and may be open to a two way deal.

Id prefer Addison quite easily over Barrie and Giordano and its not close.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Some of these guys ended up signing contracts and being useful players, and Danton Heinen almost scored 20 goals last year and would've been tied for 4th on this team. The point I'm making is that this team barely ever tries to get skilled players regardless if they are available for drafting, in free agency, or signing PTO contracts in the summer. It's almost always a reach on replacement-level players.
A couple useful players, but the vast majority both years were nothing burgers, so most teams are doing the same, at least wrt to your criticism isolated to the PTO's.

We aren't even 365 days in to the new regime, so we'll see what happens in the future. I think Ullmark is a hell of a get if he can be re-signed. I'd rather him over almost any UFA this year. They're 1 year removed from PD handing out the worst UFA contract in team history to Korpisalo and are mostly capped out, so a reserved approach made sense. Priority 1 was moving Korpisalo's contract and bringing in someone competent, which was done in one deal, so big marks there imo. A couple guys brought in as UFA's with not a lot of cap to work with. Team has sucked 7 years in a row so tough sell to any UFA's. By all accounts it sounds like SS tried with all the big RD UFA's but none were interested, so tough circumstances. I have no interest in defending Melnyk/Dorion, we got what I expected from those clowns and a non cap ceiling spending team.

Reactions: LiseL

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You want Tyson Barrie? Guys soft as butter and slow could not stay in the lineup in Nashville on the downside of his career.

Giordano is 41 years old and cant keep up 0 interest.

JVR was invisible in the playoffs because he was too slow 0 interest.

Shattenkirk was an option but they went for the younger faster player that they have familiarity with in the organization in Sexton. That still has some potential upside and may be open to a two way deal.

Id prefer Addison quite easily over Barrie and Giordano and its not close.
Well, you got him, because as mentioned several times since this PTO was announced, he is likely the league's worst defensive player who has 0 value to this team because he can't provide offense at ES, and will not get any PP time on this team. There were better players available before today but usually, they get taken earlier rather than later such as Vrana. Another half-decent option for defense could be Justin Schultz as well.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
A couple useful players, but the vast majority both years were nothing burgers, so most teams are doing the same, at least wrt to your criticism isolated to the PTO's.

We aren't even 365 days in to the new regime, so we'll see what happens in the future. I think Ullmark is a hell of a get if he can be re-signed. I'd rather him over almost any UFA this year. They're 1 year removed from PD handing out the worst UFA contract in team history to Korpisalo and are mostly capped out, so a reserved approach made sense. Priority 1 was moving Korpisalo's contract and bringing in someone competent, which was done in one deal, so big marks there imo. A couple guys brought in as UFA's with not a lot of cap to work with. Team has sucked 7 years in a row so tough sell to any UFA's. By all accounts it sounds like SS tried with all the big RD UFA's but none were interested, so tough circumstances. I have no interest in defending Melnyk/Dorion, we got what I expected from those clowns and a non cap ceiling spending team.
I agree with most of what you just said, but at least trying to get someone with a chance of contributing instead of just a body for pre-season would be nice.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree with most of what you just said, but at least trying to get someone with a chance of contributing instead of just a body for pre-season would be nice.
I think that's fair, but I just don't see a lot of that on that list and Ottawa is not a top destination so likely not option a,b or c for most. I see names with former glory that likely don't bring much of what we need. Shattenkirk is one I'd have liked, but I don't think he's there yet and seems to be holding out either for a contract or a PTO with specific teams. Giordano is washed imo. Barrie/Schultz seem fine, but aren't a great fit and would likely be released as well. Bortuzzo was one that seemed possible but he got a guaranteed deal.

I also think the roster is basically set, so unless you can upgrade on an existing roster player, I don't know that it matters and I think management recognizes that, especially with Kulemin obviously just being a token invite.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We have to remember if the Sens actually sign another Dman.. He will either be able to push JBD/Hamonic/Kleven for a job in the 6 or he will be a 7/8 Dman

Our depth is worse on the left side than it is on the right (Guenette, Matinpalo) .. If we are looking at bringing in an 8th D to be on the roster we should be looking at someone that can play both ideally but should be able to play the left side. An injury on the left side hurts us. If Chabot goes down for a couple-few games here and there we want someone who can step in and give us some reasonably quality minutes and should be able to defend 1st and foremost. We hopefully won't need the player to play 60 games we realistically could need him for 20-25 and it would be nice not to sink because we have no one that has shown he can play

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's got actual upside everyone of those players are on the downside of their career. Alot of people mad about a pto for an 8th d man that had 30 points as a 22 year old in the NHL. Just here to bitch and moan I guess. Can tell no one here has actually watched the player Hale certainly hasnt. But being mad at it because it's not Shattenkirk or Schultz is hilarious. They haven't even signed him!!! That's the best part of he doesn't play well he just gets cut.

Maybe try harder to find something you're upset about.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He's got actual upside everyone of those players are on the downside of their career. Alot of people mad about a pto for an 8th d man that had 30 points as a 22 year old in the NHL. Just here to bitch and moan I guess. Can tell no one here has actually watched the player Hale certainly hasnt. But being mad at it because it's not Shattenkirk or Schultz is hilarious. They haven't even signed him!!! That's the best part of he doesn't play well he just gets cut.

Maybe try harder to find something you're upset about.
If the worst team in the league can't find upside in a young RHD, I'm not sure what Ottawa sees in him aside from a pre-season body which is fine. Given the young age of this team, a veteran with playoff experience isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not sure why you think I'm upset, is that what you say to anyone who disagrees with you?

I think that's fair, but I just don't see a lot of that on that list and Ottawa is not a top destination so likely not option a,b or c for most. I see names with former glory that likely don't bring much of what we need. Shattenkirk is one I'd have liked, but I don't think he's there yet and seems to be holding out either for a contract or a PTO with specific teams. Giordano is washed imo. Barrie/Schultz seem fine, but aren't a great fit and would likely be released as well. Bortuzzo was one that seemed possible but he got a guaranteed deal.

I also think the roster is basically set, so unless you can upgrade on an existing roster player, I don't know that it matters and I think management recognizes that, especially with Kulemin obviously just being a token invite.
Bortuzzo was likely one of the better options, and as mentioned by SOA - a lefty would've been preferable as well if Klevin isn't ready for prime time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I personally would have liked Shattenkirk but apparently he wants to play for the Oilers so had to scrap the bottom of the barrel instead. Shattenkirk became quite reliable over time

Absolutely not, he isnt as good a puck carrier shooter or skater. If Brannstrom could skate like Addison he would probably be a legit NHL D man.

"absolutely not" lol of course. Which is probably why Erik Brannstrom was signed by a Top contender on July 2nd while Addison was let go by the worst team in the NHL as a RFA and is now invited on a PTO by another one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Addison started playing in the NHL older than Brannstrom so let's compare since they are 21 y/o

EB : 233 Games, 7 Goals, 65 Pts (10 PPP) = 0.28 PPG but still 0.24 PPG at ES
CA : 149 Games, 6 Goals, 50 Pts (27 PPP) = 0.34 PPG but only 0.15 PPG at ES

Last 2 seasons, out of 271 D-men with at least 500 ES mins, Brannstrom has the 55th lowest xGA/60 (2.47) while Addison has the 227th (3.06) and from what I see, was even more sheltered than Brannstrom, like one of the easiest job in the NHL and still terrible defensively. Brannstrom had an easier job than average but did really well with the minutes given.

Even offensively, out of 271 D-men with at least 500 ES mins, Brannstrom has the 58th highest xGA/60 (2.94) while Addison has the 239th (2.26). It seems very clear who is he better player.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I personally would have liked Shattenkirk but apparently he wants to play for the Oilers so had the scrap the bottom of the barrel instead. Shattenkirk became quite reliable over time

"absolutely not" lol of course. Which is probably why Erik Brannstrom was signed by a Top contender on July 2nd while Addison was let go by the worst team in the NHL as a RFA and is now invited on a PTO by another one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Addison started playing in the NHL older than Brannstrom so let's compare since they are 21 y/o

EB : 233 Games, 7 Goals, 65 Pts (10 PPP) = 0.28 PPG but still 0.24 PPG at ES
CA : 149 Games, 6 Goals, 50 Pts (27 PPP) = 0.34 PPG but only 0.15 PPG at ES

Last 2 seasons, out of 271 D-men with at least 500 ES mins, Brannstrom has the 55th lowest xGA/60 (2.47) while Addison has the 227th (3.06) and from what I see, was even more sheltered than Brannstrom, like one of the easiest job in the NHL and still terrible defensively. Brannstrom had an easier job than average but did really well with the minutes given.

Even offensively, out of 271 D-men with at least 500 ES mins, Brannstrom has the 58th highest xGA/60 (2.94) while Addison has the 239th (2.26). It seems very clear who is he better player.
You quoted a post then went on a tangent about something that the conversation wasn't about.

The 'absolutely not' was about Addisons skating vs Branntsrom not the entire package of the player. Addison is faster more explosive and more fluid. If branntsrom could skate like that he would be a regular nhl player potentially a top 4 d man.

No teams wanted Branntsrom for more than a try out deal. Barely better than a PTO at basically league minimum. He is a borderline NHL player. Who is better defensively and has better compete than Addison as i have stated in this thread multiple times...... Yes Brannstrom is the better more proven player. But he doesn't skate better.

Neither move the needle on a playoff team and probably wouldn't dress unless there are injuries.

Try reading the conversation before wasting paragraphs of text.

'Bottom of the barrel' EVERY PLAYER ON A PTO IS BOTTOM OF THE BARREL.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You quoted a post then went on a tangent about something that the conversation wasn't about.

Damn, are you trolling or you're being serious? You were the one quoting me lmao... then complain that I am quoting you... I mean anyone can go back in the conversation and see for themselves...

Very simple : I posted in post #27 without quoting anybody, then you quoted me in post #37.

I said in that post #27 "Brannstrom is vastly superior in all other facets", I was not talking about skating, you're the one who decided it was about skating lmao. I am responding to "absolutely not" because it was your response to my statement that had nothing to do with skating. I didn't have any interest to talk specifically about skating. Still not clear? I talked about PP so when I said facets I was talking about PK, ES off, ES def, etc, obviously.

The 'absolutely not' was about Addisons skating vs Branntsrom not the entire package of the player. Addison is faster more explosive and more fluid. If branntsrom could skate like that he would be a regular nhl player potentially a top 4 d man.

No teams wanted Branntsrom for more than a try out deal. Barely better than a PTO at basically league minimum. He is a borderline NHL player. Who is better defensively and has better compete than Addison as i have stated in this thread multiple times...... Yes Brannstrom is the better more proven player. But he doesn't skate better.

Neither move the needle on a playoff team and probably wouldn't dress unless there are injuries.

Try reading the conversation before wasting paragraphs of text.

'Bottom of the barrel' EVERY PLAYER ON A PTO IS BOTTOM OF THE BARREL.

So basically, you're accusing me of doing what you just did lol, now that's another level of special

So of course Bert's content is golden and my content is a "waste". So what about you leave me post my crap in peace and that goes for every other poster in the same boat?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Damn, are you trolling or you're being serious? You were the one quoting me lmao... then complain that I am quoting you... I mean anyone can go back in the conversation and see for themselves...

Very simple : I posted in post #27 without quoting anybody, then you quoted me in post #37.

I said in that post #27 "Brannstrom is vastly superior in all other facets", I was not talking about skating, you're the one who decided it was about skating lmao. I am responding to "absolutely not" because it was your response to my statement that had nothing to do with skating. I didn't have any interest to talk specifically about skating. Still not clear? I talked about PP so when I said facets I was talking about PK, ES off, ES def, etc, obviously.

So basically, you're accusing me of doing what you just did lol, now that's another level of special

So of course Bert's content is golden and my content is a "waste". So what about you leave me post my crap in peace and that goes for every other poster in the same boat?
You really need to start reading. You said 'Brannstrom is superior in all aspects' I pointed out that his skating is absolutely not better. Then you turned that into a conversation about he entire player. Honestly take a minute and just read before spouting senseless bable.

Reactions: aragorn and Masked

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You really need to start reading. You said 'Brannstrom is superior in all aspects' I pointed out that his skating is absolutely not better. Then you turned that into a conversation about he entire player. Honestly take a minute and just read before spouting senseless bable.

ok you need to stop trolling

"And well if we didn't like Brannstrom, we sure not going to like Addison. The guy can PP and that's it, Brannstrom is vastly superior in all other facets"

I was never talking about any physical trait or particular skill.

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ok you need to stop trolling

"And well if we didn't like Brannstrom, we sure not going to like Addison. The guy can PP and that's it, Brannstrom is vastly superior in all other facets"

I was never talking about any physical trait or particular skill.
Or stop sticking to what actually happened...... Its easy to follow its right in this thread.

Reactions: Masked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad