Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Calen Addison (D) and Nikolay Kulemin (F) to PTO's

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
How the hell did they pick 38 y/o Kulemin ; hasn't played in the NHL since 2017/18 ; after 7 straight years in the KHL . Talk about digging deep.

Maybe they can turn him into a scout.

I don't see a fit with Addison . He is more mobile than JBD or Hamonic but that's about it

I am glad they now have a framework and processes to help with their decisions.
I am sure it does not contain the word "panic-moves" in it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wait, what? Kulemin hasn't played in the NHL since 2017-18! Talk about a ghost of the past

And well if we didn't like Brannstrom, we sure not going to like Addison. The guy can PP and that's it, Brannstrom is vastly superior in all other facets

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Kulemin is just a warm body that likely has a relationship with Staios/Poulin they doing him a favour with the PTO.

Reactions: BigRig4

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People on twitter saying he’s the right sided Branny. Branny on his offside is better than Addison

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Addison can't defend and if he's not getting PP time, which he shouldn't on a team with Chabot/Sanderson, he's not providing much value.

Not a guy I probably want paired with Kleven on the bottom pair. If we were going to go the PMD route Klingberg/Shattenmirk would have been better.

Kulemin PTO is amusing. Probably just a faovur called in by someone.
Addison skates way better than both of those players and if there is an injury he is a way better option to run a PP than anyone else on the team outside of Chabot and Sanderson. Addison has actual talent, he's bigger and better offensively than Brannstrom he's an adequate replacement not as good a defender though. I think he is going to make the team as the extra guy assuming Hamonic is done. According to some guys I know that played with him he's got alot of talent in the right role he could succeed only 24 years old. Still room for growth for a player with his skillset. Sexton knows him so thats probably how this came together.

I see we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Don't expect any of these two to stick around.
Guy loves Brannstrom but thinks Addison is bottom of the barrel. The irony. Given your infatuation with small skill I think you are going to be a big fan once you start watching him. He can fly and has skill.

Wait, what? Kulemin hasn't played in the NHL since 2017-18! Talk about a ghost of the past

And well if we didn't like Brannstrom, we sure not going to like Addison. The guy can PP and that's it, Brannstrom is vastly superior in all other facets
Absolutely not, he isnt as good a puck carrier shooter or skater. If Brannstrom could skate like Addison he would probably be a legit NHL D man.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Addison skates way better than both of those players and if there is an injury he is a way better option to run a PP than anyone else on the team outside of Chabot and Sanderson. Addison has actual talent, he's bigger and better offensively than Brannstrom he's an adequate replacement not as good a defender though. I think he is going to make the team as the extra guy assuming Hamonic is done. According to some guys I know that played with him he's got alot of talent in the right role he could succeed only 24 years old. Still room for growth for a player with his skillset. Sexton knows him so thats probably how this came together.

Guy loves Brannstrom but thinks Addison is bottom of the barrel. The irony. Given your infatuation with small skill I think you are going to be a big fan once you start watching him. He can fly and has skill.

Absolutely not, he isnt as good a puck carrier shooter or skater. If Brannstrom could skate like Addison he would probably be a legit NHL D man.

You're way off on Addison. He's not a good skater and is not better offensively than Brannstrom.

People get fooled by the numbers he put up in 22/23 and think he's better than he is because he got to QB Minnesota's top PP.

When he's not getting fed 3 minutes of PP time a game, which he won't be here, he's not producing enough to make up for his lack of defensive game.

Certainly not the type of player I want paired with a rookie Tyler Kleven. Need someone who can provide some stability beside him.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Addison is a cheaper Brannstrom. He's a more 'established' guy than JBD, but JBD fits the team needs better.

Even if he skates better than JBD, he's just a 7th D that gives JBD a benchmark to surpass at camp

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You're way off on Addison. He's not a good skater and is not better offensively than Brannstrom.

People get fooled by the numbers he put up in 22/23 and think he's better than he is because he got to QB Minnesota's top PP.

When he's not getting fed 3 minutes of PP time a game, which he won't be here, he's not producing enough to make up for his lack of defensive game.

Certainly not the type of player I want paired with a rookie Tyler Kleven. Need someone who can provide some stability beside him.
Not a fit with Kleven for sure. There are still better PTO options than Addison. I know Giordano's best days are behind him but he has a ton of experience and would be a good mentor and he can play both R & L. Dermott has more experience and could offer some NHL experience insurance on either side. If they wanted a PMD there ; there were and still are better PTO options.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not a fit with Kleven for sure. There are still better PTO options than Addison. I know Giordano's best days are behind him but he has a ton of experience and would be a good mentor and he can play both R & L. Dermott has more experience and could offer some NHL experience insurance on either side. If they wanted a PMD there ; there were and still are better PTO options.
Ive heard all I need. Waaay better than brannstrom.

I have not watched Addison much. So I need to defer to the people that was him A LOT. People watching a lot of Minnesota and sharks. Practically following Addison around. They know.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I have not watched Addison much. So I need to defer to the people that was him A LOT. People watching a lot of Minnesota and sharks. Practically following Addison around. They know.
Not sure why Brannstrom is being brought up at all... He wasn't an option at a league minimum contract. He better hope he's better than Addison if he wants to stay on an NHL roster. Addison is here for training camp , same as Kulemin; He isn't here to run a PP where he had some success.. People seem to like these supposed offensive D that are good at the other team's blue line but have no clue how to defend. Not a good partner to put beside Kleven.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He can absolutely fly. What are you talking about. You clearly have never watched him.

Melnyk style, you hate to see it.
Absolutely nothing they have done is melnyk esque this offseason. Melnyk also hated Russians.

Not better than Brannstrom different. A much larger defenisve liability. Better offensively. Probably not a player you're gonna play much if you're up in a game. Defense can be taught he has the physical tools to defend not sure if he has the mental ability.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely nothing they have done is melnyk esque this offseason. Melnyk also hated Russians.
I was referring to the quality of players that Ottawa signs to PTOs, which these are very much in line with. Melnyk hated russians but Ottawa did have plenty of Russians on the team with him in charge. See: Volchenkov, Kovalev, Gonchar, Zaitsev, Filatov, Sokolov, etc.

PTO'S SINCE 2015:

2015: None

2016: Matt Bartkowski, Chris Carlisle, Kyle Flanagan, Scott Greenham, Guillaume Lépine, Bryan Pitton

2017: Charles-David Beaudoin, Chris VandeVelde, Brendan Woods

2018: Jack Skille

2019: Scott Sabourin

2020: Francois Brassard

2021: Tyler Ennis

2022: Derrick Brassard, Michael Dal Colle

2023: Josh Bailey

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He can absolutely fly. What are you talking about. You clearly have never watched him.

I adamantly disagree. He's a mediocre skater. Similar to Brannstrom in that it's not good enough for a tiny defenseman to be successful in an offensive D role at the NHL level, even if it worked at lower levels.

Difference between the two is that Brannstrom can actually defend reasonably well, which makes him capable of justifying a roster spot if he's not getting big PP minutes and offensive opportunity.

Reactions: Xspyrit

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was referring to the quality of players that Ottawa signs to PTOs, which these are very much in line with. Melnyk hated russians but Ottawa did have plenty of Russians on the team with him in charge. See: Volchenkov, Kovalev, Gonchar, Zaitsev, Filatov, Sokolov, etc.

PTO'S SINCE 2015:

2015: None

2016: Matt Bartkowski, Chris Carlisle, Kyle Flanagan, Scott Greenham, Guillaume Lépine, Bryan Pitton

2017: Charles-David Beaudoin, Chris VandeVelde, Brendan Woods

2018: Jack Skille

2019: Scott Sabourin

2020: Francois Brassard

2021: Tyler Ennis

2022: Derrick Brassard, Michael Dal Colle

2023: Josh Bailey
What type of player are you expecting to get in a PTO? Addison is 24 and played in the league the last 2 years. Doesn't seem like he is similar to any of those.

I adamantly disagree. He's a mediocre skater. Similar to Brannstrom in that it's not good enough for a tiny defenseman to be successful in an offensive D role at the NHL level, even if it worked at lower levels.

Difference between the two is that Brannstrom can actually defend reasonably well, which makes him capable of justifying a roster spot if he's not getting big PP minutes and offensive opportunity.
No debate Brannstrom has a better compete level and is better defenisvely. Addison is much more fluid faster and explosive. It's obvious frankly.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
What type of player are you expecting to get in a PTO? Addison is 24 and played in the league the last 2 years. Doesn't seem like he is similar to any of those.

No debate Brannstrom has a better compete level and is better defenisvely. Addison is much more fluid faster and explosive. It's obvious frankly.
Probably players who aren't aren't completely useless/worst at their position, or out of the league shortly afterward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad