Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Pens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiteLight*

Pittsburgh's the 4th highest scoring team in the league, with two of the 5 best offensive players in the league.

I understand the need to "score to win", but you're not going to beat them 7-6... you need to play solid defence (or get ridonkulous goaltending) to beat teams like that.

And anyways, all that being said, if Maclean thought he needed to shelter his barely-20 year old rookie defenceman against a team that can throw Crosby and Malkin at you back-to-back, to avoid putting a kid into a situation he thought might be too much for him while he's still learning the game at the pro level, I can understand that decision as a long-term strategy.

Ceci has proven to be able to handle 2nd pair minutes and situations. All situations. He can play against scoring lines. He's done it before and looked good. I get that Malkin/Crosby is a whole other beast, but again, it's the same thing MacLean has been doing all season (and unsuccessfully): playing vets who don't deserve it/aren't playing well/aren't good to begin with over young deserving players.

Just try something new Mac and have faith in the young guys.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
more bs without stats

they disappeared well before they played with spezza.

Zibby has 1 goal in his last 13 games

Michalek has 0 goals in his last 13 games

and how many games has Spezza been back for?

WhiteLight*

Did Gryba shoot and eat your pet deer or something? Your bias is quite unsubstanciated by the advance stat numbers. Maybe you are the board of PETA? Is that it?

I like guys who can transition the puck. Sue me

The Pens top lines would move pucks to Ceci's side, where Methot can't do a lot to help out.

I really don't see the issue. Ceci is super solid

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
and how many games has Spezza been back for?

wait so spezza coming back means zibby stops trying?

wow if that is his mentality then i am not sure i want him on this team..of course no one thinks like that cause it is stupid

the way i see it his line got a bit of a boost thinking that they NEED to step up with spezza down.

That line didnt too well once spezza returned actually Stone + Spezza were much better.

It is unrealistic to ask Zibby to be a 2nd line center at his age

WhiteLight*

Well, today I learned that all it takes is 24 games in the NHL to prove a projected career arc.

Someone needs to tell Shane O'Brien about this.

He hasn't done enough to be taken out of that role. He's been successful so far, no reason to randomly start giving him 10 min a game. None. Mac veteran bias, as per usual

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Its a shame Da Coco didn't play more. So lovely to watch.

I've been impressed by DaCosta this time around. After his early stint at the start of the year I figured he would wash out without ever cracking the roster. He may be earning the right to stick around for a bit. It would suck though if we have to send him down for roster spot reasons when Stone is healthy (not sure where we are at ATM).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He hasn't done enough to be taken out of that role. He's been successful so far, no reason to randomly start giving him 10 min a game. None. Mac veteran bias, as per usual

gryba is bigger better and tougher right now

didnt know gryba was a vet

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I like guys who can transition the puck. Sue me

I really don't see the issue. Ceci is super solid

You better go on EBAY and see if there are any Ceci cards for sale to add to your collection. You better take off the rose colored glasses man. Ceci is good two way but certainly not better than Gryba defensively.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
ceci hasnt shown much offense he is still learning how to play offense in the nhl

He's focusing on defense first, which is what he should be focusing on to stay in the NHL year. You see bursts of skill and speed on occasion but that will come out more next year once he's more comfortable with the NHL speed.

WhiteLight*

You better go on EBAY and see if there are any Ceci cards for sale to add to your collection. You better take off the rose colored glasses man. Ceci is good two way but certainly not better than Gryba defensively.

Better than Gryba all around. that's what important

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Anyone else notice how much Crosby and Malkin were cheating over their own blueline? Anyone notice how their team was actually capable of getting the puck up and to them consistently?

Top offensive players tend to play that way. Crosby and Malkin are both better than Spezza, but Malkin especially plays a similar game. They are, of course, on vastly different teams.

Also I hope Da Costa is here to stay. So good. Too bad he can't buy icetime.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He's focusing on defense first, which is what he should be focusing on to stay in the NHL year. You see bursts of skill and speed on occasion but that will come out more next year once he's more comfortable with the NHL speed.

that is fine but gryba has been better defensively recently

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
wait so spezza coming back means zibby stops trying?

wow if that is his mentality then i am not sure i want him on this team..of course no one thinks like that cause it is stupid

the way i see it his line got a bit of a boost thinking that they NEED to step up with spezza down.

That line didnt too well once spezza returned actually Stone + Spezza were much better.

It is unrealistic to ask Zibby to be a 2nd line center at his age

Wow you really like to put words into people's thoughts just to try and prove your point. If you want me to dumb it down for you I can? How many minutes was Zibanejad's line getting when Spezza was playing with Stone? Spezza can no longer carry a line and is also a liability on the defensive side of things so, you can't keep giving him important minutes.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Gryba was fine tonight. I don't expect perfection from big 5/6 D. What I do expect is for them to try to stay out of trouble as much as possible, and lay on the body when they get the chance. He did that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad