OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh right! I am picking up the Kona N in an hour.

It's the only one that fits in my right garage. It has an indent and is not as long as the left side garage.
You will have fun wuth that car, congrats. Bring it to Calabogie and have a blast. The N series are well tuned for some track fun

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I hadn't heard of Hyundai's N series until this summer and now I'm seeing it everywhere. They look pretty nice.

They're pretty cool. It's like the economy brand version of RS(Audi), M (BMW), and AMG (Mercedes-benz).

Obviously not quite as powerful or fast those cars, but has similar adjustable performance features. Adjustable throttle reaction. Adjustable steering responsiveness. Adjustable suspension tightness. Adjustable exhaust noise. Etc. even has launch control and a button that gives an extra 10hp for 20 seconds lol.

If ever you can test drive one, go for it. They come alive. Half the price of those AMG, RS, M, cars but still do 0-60 in 5 seconds (those other companies are like 4 seconds though lol or maybe less)

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You will have fun wuth that car, congrats. Bring it to Calabogie and have a blast. The N series are well tuned for some track fun

Coming from a RWD genesis 3.8 coupe, the Kona N is faster in a straight line and on the track, but I gotta say, I have to get used to the torque steer. It fights you taking a turn while on throttle, but that being said, it still goes while you hold it and goes quick. Just a lot more forearm resistance lol

I've taken the genesis to the luskville strip. My cottage is right there. But I gotta say it will be funny beating people in a Konas. I'll make sure not to bite off more than I can chew though.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Coming from a RWD genesis 3.8 coupe, the Kona N is faster in a straight line and on the track, but I gotta say, I have to get used to the torque steer. It fights you taking a turn while on throttle, but that being said, it still goes while you hold it and goes quick. Just a lot more forearm resistance lol

I've taken the genesis to the luskville strip. My cottage is right there. But I gotta say it will be funny beating people in a Konas. I'll make sure not to bite off more than I can chew though.
Those are impressive cars. Congrats! Do you have any pics? Would be nice to see it

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Those are impressive cars. Congrats! Do you have any pics? Would be nice to see it
These are them. The genesis hasn't been washed in a month though lol. Will probably sell the genesis though as we just bought this house and could use any thousands we can to get a proper living room and dining room (as we came from a townhouse that didn't have all these extra rooms)
1000001834.jpg
1000001835.jpg

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
They're pretty cool. It's like the economy brand version of RS(Audi), M (BMW), and AMG (Mercedes-benz).

Obviously not quite as powerful or fast those cars, but has similar adjustable performance features. Adjustable throttle reaction. Adjustable steering responsiveness. Adjustable suspension tightness. Adjustable exhaust noise. Etc. even has launch control and a button that gives an extra 10hp for 20 seconds lol.

If ever you can test drive one, go for it. They come alive. Half the price of those AMG, RS, M, cars but still do 0-60 in 5 seconds (those other companies are like 4 seconds though lol or maybe less)
The N is more comparable to the type R and GTI and Corolla GR and is cheaper and a lot of fun. The N is not comparable to M or RS, I don't think they even come close to the S4, M340i or C43.

Fun as hell though and you're going to have a blast, enjoy the car man.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Every time I come in here I get car FOMO.

Time to check prices on used E63 S Wagons again.
Bro I drove a kona N all last year and I was about to pull the trigger on a g70 but it got rugged out under me. Put in a low ball offer on a SQ5, now markets crashed on Friday and I'm sweating lol but I still want to get something.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Bro I drove a kona N all last year and I was about to pull the trigger on a g70 but it got rugged out under me. Put in a low ball offer on a SQ5, now markets crashed on Friday and I'm sweating lol but I still want to get something.

Soft landing looking not so soft and Middle East situation is going from bad to worse. We’ll see what happens when markets open on Monday but I’m not confident. Hunker down.

SQ5 is a really fun car. I have an Audi bias though.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Soft landing looking not so soft and Middle East situation is going from bad to worse. We’ll see what happens when markets open on Monday but I’m not confident. Hunker down.

SQ5 is a really fun car. I have an Audi bias though.
Ya the Trump pump has died down as well. It's scary tbh and been a stressful weekend thinking about it. I sold a really small % of investments a week ago and regret not taking a bigger %. I have no fears about bitcoin in the long run but I could see us going way down with everything else.

SQ5 is a lot of fun, I was just going to get a Q5 because I have a couple great deals on them i can get. However after test driving the SQ5 there's just no way I can get a Q5 and sleep at night knowing the SQ5 is out there with some other man inside her. I just keep making low ball offers on cars till someone says f*** it and gives it to me lol. Markets crashing might even open doors to cheaper deals on cars.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The N is more comparable to the type R and GTI and Corolla GR and is cheaper and a lot of fun. The N is not comparable to M or RS, I don't think they even come close to the S4, M340i or C43.

Fun as hell though and you're going to have a blast, enjoy the car man.

I meant in terms of what you can adjust. My friend has a Mercedes C43 AMG and the options are very similar...whereas my friend has a golf GTI and has barely any of the customizable options.

In terms of performance, you're right. But I tried to make sure everyone knew I was talking about customizability...and in that way, they're actually very similar to M, AMG, and RS.

Even an Audi S5, mind you like a 2018, doesn't have nearly the custom options for performance features.

I agree GR and Rs are probably a better comparison because they have the same options and similar power levels. But they have AWD which I wish I had lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: coladin

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I meant in terms of what you can adjust. My friend has a Mercedes C43 AMG and the options are very similar...whereas my friend has a golf GTI and has barely any of the customizable options.

In terms of performance, you're right. But I tried to make sure everyone knew I was talking about customizability...and in that way, they're actually very similar to M, AMG, and RS.

Even an Audi S5, mind you like a 2018, doesn't have nearly the custom options for performance features.

I agree GR and Rs are probably a better comparison because they have the same options and similar power levels. But they have AWD which I wish I had lol.
Ya, you're right I just meant it felt disingenuous to compare to the M, AMG or RS. But you are right, the customization settings are similar. If the Kona N was AWD, it would be even more insane. Does the Kona have a limited slip deferential? I don't remember. I know the Elantra N has one, but I can't remember if the Kona has one. Regardless I love the Kona N and you made a great choice. I love what Hyundai is doing I want to get a Ioniq 5 N

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ya, you're right I just meant it felt disingenuous to compare to the M, AMG or RS. But you are right, the customization settings are similar. If the Kona N was AWD, it would be even more insane. Does the Kona have a limited slip deferential? I don't remember. I know the Elantra N has one, but I can't remember if the Kona has one. Regardless I love the Kona N and you made a great choice. I love what Hyundai is doing I want to get a Ioniq 5 N
Yeah it's got an LSD. Has launch control too. Wish it had AWD.

It's interesting, I looked at the c43 AMG specs of the same year as my Kona just this morning. It's noticeably better than the Kona, but not out of this world faster.

C43 AMG:
3.0T giving 385HP and 384 lb-ft while weighing 4,000lbs accelerating 0-60 in 4.5 seconds.

Kona N:
2.0T giving 286HP and 289 lb-ft while weighing 3,300lbs accelerating 0-60 in 5.1 seconds.

C43 AMG has 9.625 HP per 100 pounds.
Kona N has 8.666 HP per 100 pounds.

That makes the AMG c43 11% more powerful for the weight.

It's noticeable to the tune of half a second faster 0-60 and 0.8 quicker 1/4 mile (12.7 vs 13.5)

So its noticeable, but not out of this world.

Id imagine you'd notice more of a difference if you went to c 63 AMG. But wonder what the difference would be if you went to an AMG SUV.

GLA 35 AMG, the smaller SUV has a turbo 4 producing 302 HP, 295 lb-ft weighs 3,900...doing 0-60 in 4.7 and quarter mile in 13.8. (the Kona does a faster 1/4 mile than the GLA 35 AMG)

So maybe the Kona doesn't keep up with the sedans, but it can be In the ball park of the AMG SUVs for performance.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Is that the same engine as the 2010ish Sonata 2.0T? Went to test drive one years ago and was surprised that it had 270 horsies, definite sleeper.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Is that the same engine as the 2010ish Sonata 2.0T? Went to test drive one years ago and was surprised that it had 270 horsies, definite sleeper.

Yeah, but this has a bigger turbo.

I think the Sonata had the same as the Veloster N. The bigger turbo adds like 30 more torque and a few more HP.

But yeah, same engine. The theta 2.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Honestly I took it for meaning that the "N' line is a very defined group of breathed on vehicles, exactly like the M, AMG, RS, lines.

Torgue steer sucks, and the reality is the reason why it is doing that is because you are asking the fron wheel to apply power and steer. It is annoying, but on a track it shouldn't give you probems much asyou are going to be carried a lot more grip whereas on the street it is a challenge

Reactions: 2CHAINZ and jbeck5

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Honestly I took it for meaning that the "N' line is a very defined group of breathed on vehicles, exactly like the M, AMG, RS, lines.
Ya for sure. I just meant that if someone doesn't know anything about cars, it's disingenuous to compare the N to the M, AMG, or RS. That's all I meant. Saying the N is the spirited version of Hyundai like the M, AMG, and RS I 100% agree and that's what Jbeck was saying. I didn't mean to come off like some pretentious douche being like, "how dare you compare Hyundai to BMW?"

Reactions: jbeck5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya for sure. I just meant that if someone doesn't know anything about cars, it's disingenuous to compare the N to the M, AMG, or RS. That's all I meant. Saying the N is the spirited version of Hyundai like the M, AMG, and RS I 100% agree and that's what Jbeck was saying. I didn't mean to come off like some pretentious douche being like, "how dare you compare Hyundai to BMW?"
To be fair, he did say the economy version,

Reactions: DrEasy

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I saw an N version yesterday in Italy. I think it was a i20 or something model but N version. Sounded and looked really nice. It stood out even with all the European cars!

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Ya the Trump pump has died down as well. It's scary tbh and been a stressful weekend thinking about it. I sold a really small % of investments a week ago and regret not taking a bigger %. I have no fears about bitcoin in the long run but I could see us going way down with everything else.

SQ5 is a lot of fun, I was just going to get a Q5 because I have a couple great deals on them i can get. However after test driving the SQ5 there's just no way I can get a Q5 and sleep at night knowing the SQ5 is out there with some other man inside her. I just keep making low ball offers on cars till someone says f*** it and gives it to me lol. Markets crashing might even open doors to cheaper deals on cars.

Alright not as bad as it could have been. Lots of degen traders and hedge funds got wrecked by the Yen carry trade collapsing but there doesn’t appear to be significant contagion. Even crypto weathered the storm pretty well.

The regular Q5 is a really boring car man. No juice whatsoever and not great in terms of cargo space. Would definitely look elsewhere in that category. X3 smokes it on most metrics. SQ5 is great, however. Hope one of your lowballs hits here soon.

Saw a brand new Rs6 on the road yesterday… what a beautiful car.

The electric green is just a work of art. It’s unbelievable.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Alright not as bad as it could have been. Lots of degen traders and hedge funds got wrecked by the Yen carry trade collapsing but there doesn’t appear to be significant contagion. Even crypto weathered the storm pretty well.

The regular Q5 is a really boring car man. No juice whatsoever and not great in terms of cargo space. Would definitely look elsewhere in that category. X3 smokes it on most metrics. SQ5 is great, however. Hope one of your lowballs hits here soon.
I don't know; I think it might get much worse and then end up sideways for awhile again. I need to take more profits and stop being so conservative about profit-taking. I really haven't generated much income this year; poker is just dying, and I haven't been able to transition into something else yet.

You are absolutely right; the Q5 is pretty boring, but I like the look, and it is plenty spacious enough for me. I never wanted an SUV, but I borrowed my dad's X5 for a couple of weeks, and it was just nice riding around higher up with a nice sound system, so it got me thinking and looking at SUVs. I also put a low-ball offer on an XC-40 T5 from Volvo but never heard back. They are trying to give away Q5s right now. I made two low ball offers, and they were like, "Okay, we can do it.". Them accepting my lowball offers on Q5's is what got me looking at the SQ5 see if I can snag one for cheap. This all started I made a low-ball offer on a 2021 G70 with 28k kms on it, After a couple weeks and back and forth, we settled on a price which I felt heavily favored me. The car ended up getting sold before I could get it done, which was probably my fault for taking my sweet ass time. I am looking for a car but with income uncertainty, it's tough for me to say f*** it and get something crazy. I have a hard time wasting money on a depreciating asset when I am experiencing income uncertainty (I know, crazy, right?).

Honestly, I am open to anything and don't have my heart set on anything, just hoping something lands in my lap that I can't pass up. I am out test driving anything and everything. I test drove a 2023 Jetta GLI this morning and quite liked it. I think you can snag a GLI for less than a civic, and it makes me confused why I see so many civics and so few GLI's.

We would like blood, please.
Well my net worth has taken a huge hit since my comments on here caused the financial meltdown so hopefully that is bloody enough. If not, I will head to Ottawa and donate a pint of my blood to the Ottawa gods in a desperate plea for forgiveness.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00