OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1720003683362.png

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My girlfriend is pregnant with our daughter so I might need to sell my car and buy something a bit more practical, but I still want something fun or sporty, but on a budget price. We just bought our house so money is a bit tight so no BMW M, Mercedes AMG, or Audi RS suggestions haha. I wish though. She just got a Nissan rogue so at least we have one car for the kid already.

Looking for:
-4 doors
-250-300hp
-preferably AWD but it's not a must
-preferably sedan as I don't like hatchbacks on cars.
-preferably a DCT automatic
- 1-4 years old
-25k-35k on the used market with low mileage

My options so far:

Subaru WRX:
Pros: it has the power, the AWD, the 4 doors, and they start at 34k new, so could easily find a used one In the 20s.
Cons: I would go for the manual but my gf doesn't want manual, so I'd be stuck with CVT. I really wanted to own a DCT car once in my life before everything is electric or something.

Hyundai Elantra/Kona N : I'd go Elantra because I prefer sedan over crossover/hatchback/compact SUV.
Pros: has the power and all the cool performance features like adjustable steering stiffness, suspension stiffness, exhaust noise, etc. fast posted times. Has DCT.
Cons: is FWD

I've been recommended civic SI but it doesn't have the power I'd want.

I've been recommended golf GTI but it's more expensive than the Elantra N, while having less performance features than the N, and posting slower lap times.

Anything I'm missing? Another sedan with 250-300hp and performance features for a good price?

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I got nothin man, except maybe the meth users in jail part. No, obviously not, as we've got drug users out there in abundance. I work next to the salvation army and have see people clearly using like every day. Whether it's meth or some other hard narcotic, I could not say, but they are clearly f***ed up. A young girl I worked with for a while that really went sideways was hanging out there and trying to get in my face a lot until she was killed about a year ago and the changes in her from a young hot woman to a wreck were hard to comprehend.

I went out for the Oilers game Saturday and had 6 beers. I felt awful for a good 24 hours after.

Weed may have stigma that follows it around, and needs moderation like everything, but its effects really are on the light side my friend.

I think what ppl need to remember is that there can be side effects though (just like anything else).

I have recently been reading a good chunk of research on cannabis and it's effect on the heart because we've had an odd influx of patients post pot smoking. And it also can have a fairly significant effect on young brains (preteens and teens). Obviously this is still pretty rare and we just need to do things in moderation.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Just had to move for the first time since moving away from Ottawa. It sucks every time and I swear to god I'm hiring professional movers.

Now time to find the best sportsbars to watch hockey at
Oh man, every time I've moved I say, next time I'll hire movers. Then we move and gather our friends and pizza and beer and present we are in college again!

The last time we moved was with a baby, and we did it ourselves. The next time though....

• Haha
Reactions: bicboi64

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
My girlfriend is pregnant with our daughter so I might need to sell my car and buy something a bit more practical, but I still want something fun or sporty, but on a budget price. We just bought our house so money is a bit tight so no BMW M, Mercedes AMG, or Audi RS suggestions haha. I wish though. She just got a Nissan rogue so at least we have one car for the kid already.

Looking for:
-4 doors
-250-300hp
- 1-4 years old

My options so far:

Subaru WRX:
Pros: it has the power, the AWD, the 4 doors, and they start at 34k new, so could easily find a used one In the 20s.
Cons: I would go for the manual but my gf doesn't want manual, so I'd be stuck with CVT. I really wanted to own a DCT car once in my life before everything is electric or something.

Hyundai Elantra/Kona N : I'd go Elantra because I prefer sedan over crossover/hatchback/compact SUV.
Pros: has the power and all the cool performance features like adjustable steering stiffness, suspension stiffness, exhaust noise, etc. fast posted times. Has DCT.

I've been recommended golf GTI but it's more expensive than the Elantra N, while having less performance features than the N, and posting slower lap times.

Anything I'm missing? Another sedan with 250-300hp and performance features for a good price?
I've had the WRX (2017 and a 2023) and traded the 23 in for GTI. It was worth it.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I
Imagine going to gas stations to fill up your car and finding that two out of ten times, the pumps aren’t working.

That’s what electric vehicle owners are facing, according to a studyby the Harvard Business School and the Georgia Institute of Technology.

The study, which was based on an analysis of 1 million EV charging stations consumer reviews, also found that EV drivers are plagued with opaque pricing models, making it difficult to know the bill before charging.

The distribution of stations is also creating dissatisfaction among drivers. Most of them are located in large population centers and wealthy communities, but much more scarce in rural areas and smaller cities. Commercial drivers, according to the study, can’t find enough public EV charging stations to reliably charge their vehicles.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think what ppl need to remember is that there can be side effects though (just like anything else).

I have recently been reading a good chunk of research on cannabis and it's effect on the heart because we've had an odd influx of patients post pot smoking. And it also can have a fairly significant effect on young brains (preteens and teens). Obviously this is still pretty rare and we just need to do things in moderation.
Like most things in life, moderation is key. I think the concerns are still incredibly small in comparison to many things we partake in as a society, but everyone has their threshold of what they'll expose themselves to. Lots of things to concern ourselves with really. I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to things like alcohol, driving, travel, std's, pharmaceuticals, etc., so I guess I'm just picking my poison I am willing to accept the bad of, and I just try to live a balanced life of eating well, getting lots of exercise, good sleep, vitamins/supplements, 5 liters of water a day, etc.

Regular prescriptions are a pretty big part of many peoples lives, and I don't see this as all that different. I use it mostly for sleep, but also to be able to just generally settle instead of putzing and needing to move 24/7, and I've had multiple doctors and therapists agree that if it is effective, why not? It is just the same as if they were to prescribe me something to try to counteract those things, and comes with less side effects, or at least side effects I'd prefer.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Oh man, every time I've moved I say, next time I'll hire movers. Then we move and gather our friends and pizza and beer and present we are in college again!

The last time we moved was with a baby, and we did it ourselves. The next time though....
We ordered friends pizza on the weekend, but now that we've finished unpacking, we realized there's so much more we've missed or need to go shopping/thrifting for.

The worst part, the gf is not a fan of my Sens hand towels, posters, or cushions

• Wow
Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If anyone is looking for Sens merch, SVP sports is having a sale

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If anyone is looking for Sens merch, SVP sports is having a sale

Damn, I'll never pay $250 for another jersey, but for that price I was ready.

Stutzle white in my size sold out while I was trying to check out lol. Guess I'll keep rocking the Corvo #7 white.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Looking for:
-4 doors
-250-300hp
- 1-4 years old

My options so far:

Subaru WRX:

1720032540299.png

Sunroof, power windows, CD player, and castration are optional.

Reactions: jbeck5

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

Looking for:
-4 doors
-250-300hp
- 1-4 years old

My options so far:

Subaru WRX:

Ecoboost stang?

Nvm.. 4 doors

Acura TLX maybe?

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I've had the WRX (2017 and a 2023) and traded the 23 in for GTI. It was worth it.

Why so? I think the GTI is a bit quicker but a bit more expensive and you lose the AWD which must make a difference in snow or rain?

Curious to know more details of your thoughts if you have the time.

View attachment 891919

Sunroof, power windows, CD player, and castration are optional.

I would go with my parents sienna if I wanted a minivan lol

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Why so? I think the GTI is a bit quicker but a bit more expensive and you lose the AWD which must make a difference in snow or rain?

Curious to know more details of your thoughts if you have the time.

I would go with my parents sienna if I wanted a minivan lol
Honestly a guy on my street had an Mk8 GTI and I would admire it every time I walked the dog past. Couldn't get it out of my head. I was always like f*** I should have gotten that instead of the WRX at the time, but there was never any stock. I was always a VW guy at heart though. It also came down to the DSG in the GTI. I am a sucker for dual clutch and a refined interior, the GTI fit the bill in those 2 respects. If the WRX had a dual clutch I would still have it no doubt. Performance wise they are quite similar I think the WRX might have been a touch quicker but hard to say. The snappiness of the dual clutch with the exhaust burbles makes up for that. Also for a front wheel drive car it has a great LSD so I found driving it in snow pretty darn good. The first week I got it I took it up the side of a snow mountain in Tremblant in February with no issues. Also the GTI came with all the shit that I like as well, automatic wipers, digital dash, adaptive cruise, heated steering wheel (which I was amazed and still am that Subaru doesn't offer that!). I also got sick of shifting in traffic and I could not bring myself to drive a CVT Subaru so DSG it was. I also got a sick end of year sale on a 2023 when the 2024s were coming out, about 6k off MSRP.

WRX traction from a stop in the snow was pretty good but that was about it. It was obviously very capable in bad conditions. I do miss the WRX sometimes but for the other 300 days of the year where the weather is fine I can live without the AWD. We also have an AWD CX-5 that I can take to the office if things get too hairy. If I were you I would look at the Audi A3 and Mercedes A250

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Hmmm TLX...is that the one that's similar to the integra? I'm guessing out of my price range but I'll have a look. Haven't heard that recommendation before. Thanks!
Integra is closer to a Honda Civic in size, the TLX is basically the luxury/sport version of the Honda Accord (which are pretty nice - but no AWD and less horsies). Can't go wrong with Honda/Acura reliability, should be able to find one with relatively low mileage in that price range.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Honestly a guy on my street had an Mk8 GTI and I would admire it every time I walked the dog past. Couldn't get it out of my head. I was always like f*** I should have gotten that instead of the WRX at the time, but there was never any stock. I was always a VW guy at heart though. It also came down to the DSG in the GTI. I am a sucker for dual clutch and a refined interior, the GTI fit the bill in those 2 respects. If the WRX had a dual clutch I would still have it no doubt. Performance wise they are quite similar I think the WRX might have been a touch quicker but hard to say. The snappiness of the dual clutch with the exhaust burbles makes up for that. Also for a front wheel drive car it has a great LSD so I found driving it in snow pretty darn good. The first week I got it I took it up the side of a snow mountain in Tremblant in February with no issues. Also the GTI came with all the shit that I like as well, automatic wipers, digital dash, adaptive cruise, heated steering wheel (which I was amazed and still am that Subaru doesn't offer that!). I also got sick of shifting in traffic and I could not bring myself to drive a CVT Subaru so DSG it was. I also got a sick end of year sale on a 2023 when the 2024s were coming out, about 6k off MSRP.

WRX traction from a stop in the snow was pretty good but that was about it. It was obviously very capable in bad conditions. I do miss the WRX sometimes but for the other 300 days of the year where the weather is fine I can live without the AWD. We also have an AWD CX-5 that I can take to the office if things get too hairy. If I were you I would look at the Audi A3 and Mercedes A250

When you say the exhaust burble...did you get an aftermarket exhaust, or does stock GTI come with the ability to turn up or down the exhaust noise?

I love a nice sound. I have a nice cat back on my genesis coupe.

My gf finds it embarrassing (for her to drive, not for me to drive or her be a passenger) so I like the idea of being able to quiet it down for her or for my neighbours, and then open it up on main roads or rurally or on the track.

Are you familiar with the Hyundai Ns? Lots of performance options like changing the stiffness of the suspension and steering and exhaust.

Does the GTI basically do this too?

Must say that's playing a big factor. Not having to spend like 1-2k on an aftermarket exhaust.

As for the A3, it's much too slow. I'm looking more for a 5.0 second 0-60 car. Im not recklessly doing street races, but I do track races, and do enjoy having the ability to get ahead of someone if need be. Same with the A250. The base versions are fairly slow, and the higher trims are fast, but out of my budget.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
When you say the exhaust burble...did you get an aftermarket exhaust, or does stock GTI come with the ability to turn up or down the exhaust noise?

I love a nice sound. I have a nice cat back on my genesis coupe.

My gf finds it embarrassing (for her to drive, not for me to drive or her be a passenger) so I like the idea of being able to quiet it down for her or for my neighbours, and then open it up on main roads or rurally or on the track.

Are you familiar with the Hyundai Ns? Lots of performance options like changing the stiffness of the suspension and steering and exhaust.

Does the GTI basically do this too?

Must say that's playing a big factor. Not having to spend like 1-2k on an aftermarket exhaust.

As for the A3, it's much too slow. I'm looking more for a 5.0 second 0-60 car. Im not recklessly doing street races, but I do track races, and do enjoy having the ability to get ahead of someone if need be. Same with the A250. The base versions are fairly slow, and the higher trims are fast, but out of my budget.

The GTI comes from the factory with an exhaust that allows it to fart and burble. The N is probably up one performance tier from the GTI. A more equal comparison for the N would probably be there Golf R. GTI is probably more balanced where it has enough power to put a smile on your face and make a commute interesting, whereas the N line is billed as a track ready car pretty much. If you get the top trim GTI you can adjust the suspension settings but as far as I know the exhaust note for the GTI and even the Golf R stays the same. The GTI does have a few different modes for steering and ride quality as well. The N's are sweet but I just worry about the longevity of the car, who knows what those engines will do after 100km. But I definitely do like them

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The GTI comes from the factory with an exhaust that allows it to fart and burble. The N is probably up one performance tier from the GTI. A more equal comparison for the N would probably be there Golf R. GTI is probably more balanced where it has enough power to put a smile on your face and make a commute interesting, whereas the N line is billed as a track ready car pretty much. If you get the top trim GTI you can adjust the suspension settings but as far as I know the exhaust note for the GTI and even the Golf R stays the same. The GTI does have a few different modes for steering and ride quality as well. The N's are sweet but I just worry about the longevity of the car, who knows what those engines will do after 100km. But I definitely do like them

I often hear people making fun of Hyundai's reliability, but more often than not, I see just as many old Hyundai's on the road as Toyota and Honda, and their stats on consumer reports are good. The amount of 10-15 year old Hyundai Santa fes, and Hyundai Elantras and sonatas, and accents. Plenty of them all over the place. And my gf is always pointing out other genesis coupes, and they haven't been produced in almost a decade.(8 years)

When I got my 2010 Hyundai in 2018, people would make jokes like "good luck getting to the 10 year mark" yet 6 years later and at 14 years old, I'm still getting people come up to me and say nice car almost weekly.no issues with the car. It's mint. Debating just buying a third card instead of selling it...and my parents 2009 Chrysler 300 and 2011 Toyota Sienna have way cheaper interior and way more rust and things are falling apart...while my Hyundai looks mint.

Wondering why people worry about the longevity of Hyundai's. I'm pretty sure they're ranked like 5-6 in reliability out of 20-25 brands listed. (Edit, look below)

They're #11 out of 30 in this article:

Not top of the pile, but we'll into the top half of reliability.

Like, look where VW,Mercedes, and even Audi are on that list, but you recommended them without wondering about their longevity or cost of repairs over the lifespan.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I often hear people making fun of Hyundai's reliability, but more often than not, I see just as many old Hyundai's on the road as Toyota and Honda, and their stats on consumer reports are good. The amount of 10-15 year old Hyundai Santa fes, and Hyundai Elantras and sonatas, and accents. Plenty of them all over the place. And my gf is always pointing out other genesis coupes, and they haven't been produced in almost a decade.(8 years)

When I got my 2010 Hyundai in 2018, people would make jokes like "good luck getting to the 10 year mark" yet 6 years later and at 14 years old, I'm still getting people come up to me and say nice car almost weekly.no issues with the car. It's mint. Debating just buying a third card instead of selling it...and my parents 2009 Chrysler 300 and 2011 Toyota Sienna have way cheaper interior and way more rust and things are falling apart...while my Hyundai looks mint.

Wondering why people worry about the longevity of Hyundai's. I'm pretty sure they're ranked like 5-6 in reliability out of 20-25 brands listed. (Edit, look below)

They're #11 out of 30 in this article:

Not top of the pile, but we'll into the top half of reliability.

Like, look where VW,Mercedes, and even Audi are on that list, but you recommended them without wondering about their longevity or cost of repairs over the lifespan.
I didn’t mean it that way I’m just referring to the platform they built with the N with these high sprung motors, lots of compression and stuff to go boom. I had a Veloster turbo a few years ago and loved it

Reactions: jbeck5

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
We ordered friends pizza on the weekend, but now that we've finished unpacking, we realized there's so much more we've missed or need to go shopping/thrifting for.

The worst part, the gf is not a fan of my Sens hand towels, posters, or cushions
Haha, yeah combining lives is hard! And unpacking is awful!

I'm not a huge fan of all my husbands stuff, but he has a place for them. We also have lots of space, so that makes it easier. But we are very different in how we keep things. He tends to hold onto everything, while I keep nothing.

But once it's done, it's worth it! Getting there sucks though. I hope I never have to move again. Which is unrealistic, but moving will be a royal pain next time because we've added a mother in law and two kids.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Like most things in life, moderation is key. I think the concerns are still incredibly small in comparison to many things we partake in as a society, but everyone has their threshold of what they'll expose themselves to. Lots of things to concern ourselves with really. I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to things like alcohol, driving, travel, std's, pharmaceuticals, etc., so I guess I'm just picking my poison I am willing to accept the bad of, and I just try to live a balanced life of eating well, getting lots of exercise, good sleep, vitamins/supplements, 5 liters of water a day, etc.

Regular prescriptions are a pretty big part of many peoples lives, and I don't see this as all that different. I use it mostly for sleep, but also to be able to just generally settle instead of putzing and needing to move 24/7, and I've had multiple doctors and therapists agree that if it is effective, why not? It is just the same as if they were to prescribe me something to try to counteract those things, and comes with less side effects, or at least side effects I'd prefer.
Agreed that moderation is key, and I actually agree that cannabis has some really positive side effects. We use it in hospital, especially with cancer patients. Just the idea that there are no side effects, is untrue. Pot has higher incidence of cardiac side effects than the COVID vaccine. But ppl went crazy about the cardiac side effects for COVID vaccines.

But it is still an incredibly small risk.

I'm personally not someone who drinks very much, doesn't take medications unless needed and doesn't smoke anything. But I don't exercise or eat like I should all the time. Which also has side effects. But I do work in healthcare and give a whack load of medication, and know that they have side effects, but also not giving has side effects as well.

I just wish when it came to more naturopathic side of health, ppl spoke about side effects of drug interactions, because they all have an affect on our bodies and we need to be cognizant of that. Just like we would be with taking a medication.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad