OT: Sens Lounge LXXXXI - Curling in the squat rack? HURRY HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I remember those days! Hell my first internet was AOL, then i went with a local company that provided 56k bitrate which was fast as balls.

Then I got ICQ, like all hte hip nerds while all the cool kids paged each ohter.

Oh I definitely ICQ'd. I got Internet when I was 12. We ended up getting 2 phone lines so no one would get interrupted or kicked off the internet/phone.

I never got to use a pager like a cool kid. Only now I get to for work... sadly 20 years too late.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Oh I definitely ICQ'd. I got Internet when I was 12. We ended up getting 2 phone lines so no one would get interrupted or kicked off the internet/phone.

I never got to use a pager like a cool kid. Only now I get to for work... sadly 20 years too late.

I still remember my number . . . 10353286. Funny how those things stick with you!

I never had a pager either, but all the guys I bought pot off of had them lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Technically it did, kind of, though it was limited mostly to ARPANET / the military.

Used to use compuserve a lot. It was a great resource for It / software related stuff back in the days when there were a lot more network operating systems and everything wasn't as plug and play.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
At one point I had a 6 digit ICQ number. That computer died a sudden death though and I lost the information for it (and the contacts... Client side contact list makes me cry)... Ended up getting a 7 digital number but still starting with a 1.

Then came university and everyone was migrating to msn messenger because AOL had bought ICQ and was deliberately killing it with bloat to try to encourage people to use AIM.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I had ICQ as well then AIM. And before HF what did I use to talk hockey in middle and high school? AOL hockey chatroom baby in section news, sports, and finance.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I had ICQ as well then AIM. And before HF what did I use to talk hockey in middle and high school? AOL hockey chatroom baby in section news, sports, and finance.

I skipped the AOL phase and went straight to MSN.

Oh those where the days!

Also anyone have a GPS watch for running/exercise? Any recommendations?

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
At one point I had a 6 digit ICQ number. That computer died a sudden death though and I lost the information for it (and the contacts... Client side contact list makes me cry)... Ended up getting a 7 digital number but still starting with a 1.

Then came university and everyone was migrating to msn messenger because AOL had bought ICQ and was deliberately killing it with bloat to try to encourage people to use AIM.

Started off with ICQ...mirabilis uh oh...don't know my digit count but was still an early breed to online messaging than most. Chat rooms/MSN/Yahoo messenger became the next thing. Now all is dead and it's simply texting from your phone.

I still use my 17 year old hotmail account. Crazy now to think I've had hotmail for more than half my life. But I created that email when Diablo and Starcraft were the games to play.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
September is when I go crazy doing projects outside on the house.

Perfect weather to work in.

Just got my vinyl window moulding in today.. so now I can finish the siding!

Seriously. Best time to set up the tricky things like Xmas lights is this month. Just leave 'em turned off for a while and no one knows they're up. I'm not using a ladder in snowbanks ever again.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Seriously. Best time to set up the tricky things like Xmas lights is this month. Just leave 'em turned off for a while and no one knows they're up. I'm not using a ladder in snowbanks ever again.

My philosophy is why even bother taking them down? You're just going to put them back next year. Turn 'em off and leave 'em up. Plus, then if you feel like having a bright exterior in July for whatever reason, you can!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just ate chicken for the first time in 21 months. Chicken good.

Yes.......which is why you should never stop eating it.

And I agree with y'all: September is pretty darn cool. Thinking about coming down to Gatineau this weekend for the hot air balloon fest.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Before ICQ and Yahoo Messenger, we used to use esoteric UNIX command-line tools like "talk", "finger", "irc" on our reliable Sparcstations running SunOS (if you were lucky or rich, maybe you had a NeXT or a Silicon Graphics). You'd use "finger" to see if the user at the given static IP address is still at his desk or not, then you'd use "talk" to exchange text messages in real-time. "irc" is still around in various forms; Slack is really a good-looking irc.

And before this newfangled "Web" thing, we used to use programs like gopher and xarchie to find files and download them.

And get off my lawn!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
People still use pagers?

Yeah for whatever reason we use pagers at work for doctors. And since I do charge nursing I get one too. Plus an iPhone. There have been times I've had to carry 3 pagers and 2 iPhones. It's why scrubs have ties!

And being a part of a artificial heart team. So if there is a patient with one I get one more pager!

Pagers are fun! Also like mentioned above... Pagers for Pageau!

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Before ICQ and Yahoo Messenger, we used to use esoteric UNIX command-line tools like "talk", "finger", "irc" on our reliable Sparcstations running SunOS (if you were lucky or rich, maybe you had a NeXT or a Silicon Graphics). You'd use "finger" to see if the user at the given static IP address is still at his desk or not, then you'd use "talk" to exchange text messages in real-time. "irc" is still around in various forms; Slack is really a good-looking irc.

And before this newfangled "Web" thing, we used to use programs like gopher and xarchie to find files and download them.

And get off my lawn!

Elm was my mail reader of choice.

And when I have to dig in and do some coding these days, I STILL use vi!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I still use my 17 year old hotmail account. Crazy now to think I've had hotmail for more than half my life. But I created that email when Diablo and Starcraft were the games to play.

Hotmail deleted my account a few years back. Still hurts. And before that they once deleted all my old emails too. ****ing hotmail. I'd had that dang account since 96, before it was even Microsoft.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah for whatever reason we use pagers at work for doctors. And since I do charge nursing I get one too. Plus an iPhone. There have been times I've had to carry 3 pagers and 2 iPhones. It's why scrubs have ties!

And being a part of a artificial heart team. So if there is a patient with one I get one more pager!

Pagers are fun! Also like mentioned above... Pagers for Pageau!

I would have thought that by now there would just be a smartphone app that has the same function. Haha.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hotmail deleted my account a few years back. Still hurts. And before that they once deleted all my old emails too. ****ing hotmail. I'd had that dang account since 96, before it was even Microsoft.

Why did they delete your account? I didn't know they could even do that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad