Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
So you think that Alfie could have a shot at being directly involved with ownership but would pass up on it if Melnyk was also in the picture?

That seems very unlikely to me: if you can get in, you get in, don't be picky. Some of you people project like drive-in theatres :laugh:

I agree, I could see Alfredsson joining an ownership & management team that involved Eugene. I doubt he has a vendetta against they guy. Terms of a new partnership could include a dedication to a new business model.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
It's definetly not them, they are wealthy, but when you are looking at an investment to buy a sizeable piece of the franchise, you need to have waaaaay more than what they have. Would have been cute though. But it's not them.

so far you've kiboshed all the guesses except Gilles Desjardins (brigil) and the mattamy guy Peter Gilgan. And haven't replied to a suggestion that you work in construction and the prospective partner might be a builder. Just giving you a second chance to rule these out too :)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I understand your point about workplace harmony. The thing is, this workplace of NHL hockey is unlike 99% of the other business models, from a sales standpoint, a business standpoint, and a workplace standpoint. Hockey players just play hockey and Melnyk signs the cheques. All these players care about is their contracts and what is stipulated in them, whether it be per diems, rest days, etc...and their relationship with the coach and GM. To think Melnyk is in the dressing room everyday, or roaming the hallways (not that you are saying this, but there is a perception that he is a meddling owner), when he usually is in Barbados, kind of brings to a head the toxicity of the fan landscape. It just isn't the way it has been.

I have been clear that part of the problem with this franchise is not enough ownership presence. he shouldn't be in Barbados as much as he is, then storms in wanting answers from the people who are running the franchise. That is on him to devote more time to this business. I think he is now, and is in Ottawa probably more than he has ever been. For many, that will give them diarrhea, but I think if he is more aware of the business landscape, then he will be better informed and aware of how to make it better.

I am all for retooling. I just don't put as much weight in solid ownership as I do in areas of actual hockey decisions. The fan in me is more concerned about the GM and coach and players. I understand many want to focus on other things...
With our four best players all set to head in to their UFA season, in precedented fashion for a pro sports team, wouldn't that be a sign that ownership/finances is directly dictating Dorion's ability to do his job though? No gm would ever do this to themselves voluntarily, so he obviously has other factors preventing him from being able to move on any of them.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Why not the Thomson family

816281.gif

Reactions: Brethers

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So you think that Alfie could have a shot at being directly involved with ownership but would pass up on it if Melnyk was also in the picture?

That seems very unlikely to me: if you can get in, you get in, don't be picky. Some of you people project like drive-in theatres :laugh:

I believe that it goes both ways, and especially after his "we hope for a new owner" comments, I dont see EM and Alfie sitting down at a table together as partners anytime soon. EM seems like a pretty spiteful dude..

And just for the record, you are saying that my version of reality is skewed? I feel like EM and Alfie being partners seems much more like high fantasy to me..

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And just for the record, you are saying that my version of reality is skewed? I feel like EM and Alfie being partners seems much more like high fantasy to me..

I was probably harsher than I meant to be trying to make a play on words with "projecting" :laugh:

I just think that if Alfie wants to be part of ownership he'll take any opportunity he gets. Would he prefer, in this 100% hypothetical scenario, Melnyk not be around? That seems reasonable to me. But categorically saying no to working with Melnyk seems like a stretch. It isn't easy to own or own part of an NHL team, I think the play would have to be sign on with Melnyk and see where it goes, hope that Melnyk bails in the near future.

Saying no to seeing it play out would strike me as rather petty and very short-sighted. Not good qualities to have in ownership, we know first-hand what thats like ;)

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I was probably harsher than I meant to be trying to make a play on words with "projecting" :laugh:

I just think that if Alfie wants to be part of ownership he'll take any opportunity he gets. Would he prefer, in this 100% hypothetical scenario, Melnyk not be around? That seems reasonable to me. But categorically saying no to working with Melnyk seems like a stretch. It isn't easy to own or own part of an NHL team, I think the play would have to be sign on with Melnyk and see where it goes, hope that Melnyk bails in the near future.

Saying no to seeing it play out would strike me as rather petty and very short-sighted. Not good qualities to have in ownership, we know first-hand what thats like ;)

Oh great... now you got me thinking, in a jokingly way... Alfie comes around, everyone’s happy and over the moon. Then he leaves for a third time!!! LOL

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sounds like he wasn't there, but is assuming that things went to shit because we're a young team that isn't steeped in tradition and surrounded by folks to keep players in line.

Dick move to go public with that, but the reality is that we are a young team with a paper thin front office and a brand new GM.

Once we add Phillips, Neil, Alfie, and some new ownership we can flesh out the front office and start steeping our tradition!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Do we really want to keep doing that?

I like Alfredsson as much as the next person, but what management skills does he have? Tossing any long-term Sen or local guy into management is how we got into this mess to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad