GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander was drafted ten years ago. I don't know how many times he's been tried at centre over the years. He's a goal scoring winger who can skate, shoot, carry the puck and make some plays. If he was going to be an effective centre at the NHL level, wouldn't he have become one by now?
Thanks to Dubas signing JT as an $11M 2C, his buddy Keefe had nowhere to play him but wing. He's only played a couple of games at centre as an emergency fill-in and a couple in preseason.

Now that JT is not much more than a 3C and we have a good coach, he's finally getting a chance.

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
Okay seeing a lot of hot takes here, and honestly I can't blame some of you guys, we have been tortured for most of our lives being leafs fans.

Good:
- Woll, minus the one softy I think he showed his ability to keep us in it for whatever amount of time he did, still needs to improve
- Tanev, think he brought a steady presence, simple and clean game
- OEL, seeing a lot of people here say he was washed and honestly I can see him be a lot better (SCF OEL was a different beast) but out of our defence today, he was one of the few good ones and battled hard
- Grebenkin, still adjusting to the speed of the game at times, but can see his ability shine in, definitely nice he got in the ring
- Nylander, think he played right where I remember him minus some typical sluggishness, only him to score a clutch goal

Mediocre:
- Domi, that whole line stunk on the wings with willy being the only good to come of it
- Paccioretty, seemed fine for what he played, not bad for an injury prone guy and potting two, could be a lot of cleane
- Knies, could be better, rust to start nice potting one
- Matthews, that line had some good shifts and he showed great edges but overall can't say it did too much else and he was reluctant to shoot it most game
- Murray, not bad game for his first in time, but that last goal was ass lmao, shades of Samsonov
- Tavares, nice foot speed and good puck control, can honestly see him center the third fine, but my god we can't have those wingers for willy, need one good play maker and one good finisher on his line (McMann with Tavares, Grebenkin with Willy and Domi?

Bad:
- Jarnkrok, what does this guy even bring?
- McCabe, horrendous play all game, i can't remember one good play
- Rielly, you would think Tanev would make his game better, guy was drunk out there
- Marner, typical bullshit plays time and time again, guy just doesn't know how to keep it simple, when he does we score
- Cowan, drew one penalty but otherwise didn't see much come from him otherwise, hopefully more icetime will make it interesting next game
- the rest, could have done more but its game 1 lmao of the preseason

I want to see the next set of proper lines like as such:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Grebenkin-Nylander-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Pacciorety
Cowan/Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar/Lorentz

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Reactions: supermann_98

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Pleasantly surprised by Webber and his skating last night. It's far from perfect but I thought he looked pretty fluid for a big man. I was expecting something far more clumsy and laboured. Also seemed to keep himself in solid position for most of the game and limited his mistakes.

Given some AHL seasoning I think he may make a solid bottom pair/PK guy. Seems like a good get thus far.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
his last shift before pulled goalie with jt and pacioretty
So shortening the bench and stacking late to press for the tying goal.

Someone would have to be really desperate to use that as a sign that they had ended the Willy at centre experiment, especially considering that he did reasonably well there.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There’s a rule against Toronto being energetic to start a game? Game one of preseason just looks like the extension of bad culture that got the last guy fired but the excuses do flow freely. Berube had a lot of work to do.

I think too many think the complaints are based on the results. We can throw away the results, in a regular season game they would have got 1 point for about 6 minutes of effort.

Effort can/should improve.

Footspeed? Maybe the defense didn't skate over the summer? Too many husband chores taking away their time? I'm not sure that's it, some of them looked slow last year, even when that used to be a strength. And that isn't limited to Ekman-Larsson.

Goaltending, wasn't good either, but it was exacerbated by the poor defenders.

Reactions: Racer88 and rumman

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
And yet Marner was the only Leaf consistently creating chances last night.
if every Leaf haphazardly threw passes like Marner every game would be a barn burner. There is a reason Marner has the most giveaways that have led to gwg against in playoff games.

Berube thought the Leafs stars were too cute and forced passes.... he was talking directly to Marner, Nylander, Matthews and Tavares..in that order. Marners game particularly is entirely built on cute, forced passes.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Those blaming Marner for the OT goal should shake their head. You can only play man-on-man in OT, dude turned McCabe and that was it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Those blaming Marner for the OT goal should shake their head. You can only play man-on-man in OT, dude turned McCabe and that was it.
It's pretty silly no doubt. I imagine he was as surprised by the McCabe turnstile as the rest of us.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah exactly what you said.

To be clear, I’m not sitting there being Pat Burns emotional and actually all that upset over an exhibition game but it’s the principle of it and the predictable bad patterns. The games aren’t real yet but the time and money fans invest into this is. So don’t be slobs on Tuesday even if there’s no impact on the standings.
around here, if you say anything that's not 100% positive your going to take flack, that's just how sensitive the majority of Leaf Nation is..............

Reactions: capfit9

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Did you see the winning goal by Ottawa?

Rookie Dman Carter Yakemchuk lights the lamp in OT, as Marner watches with limited effort.

I'm seeing that it wasn't Marner's guy, and the moment McCabe got burnt, Marner turned to try and cover
Marner probably could've done more with his stick and body there, but that one wasn't really on him.

McCabe was caught flatfooted and didn't read Yakemchuk well

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner needs to do better here, but by godddd this is McCabe's blunder through and through.
This is why Berube separates working hard and competing hard. Nobody denies Marner works hard, he gets to the right spots but his compete is pathetic. He just chases players but never physically gets involved. Same thing in the playoffs, countless plays where he is just there skating beside the opponent. The goal by Nick Paul in game 7 loss in 2022 was no different. Marner literally skating beside Paul but never bodying him or forcefully slashing at the puck. Then Marner ends up standing in front of the net and then reaching weakly for a poke check. Meanwhile Crosby isn his prime was slashing at the puck with such force that he is severing fingers.

Here is Marner literally just filling space:

Reactions: uncleben

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think too many think the complaints are based on the results. We can throw away the results, in a regular season game they would have got 1 point for about 6 minutes of effort.

Footspeed? Maybe the defense didn't skate over the summer? Too many husband chores taking away their time? I'm not sure that's it, some of them looked slow last year, even when that used to be a strength. And that isn't limited to Ekman-Larsson.

It was an opportunity for the team to reintroduce itself and show a new side. The main cast of characters is the same but maybe there’s a new sheriff in town, a new captain and outlook, new swagger, change from within apparent.

But then you get a largely signature flat and inconsistent effort, a blast of star power and a sloppy finish. Basically the quasi half effort for any non playoff opponent on a random weeknight.

It’s like guys, come on.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

anyone else think that everyone bulking up in the off season will equate to a slower team?

Reactions: bax and uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad