GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You're right! Part of being a happy Leaf fan is keeping expectations low. Don't expect much the first game of preseason, don't expect much at end of preseason, don't expect much during regular season and expect more of the same playoff success. Should be a sticky on how to keep a Leaf fan happy.

no it doesn't. I watched pretty much every game today and it was similar in all the games. it wasn't good hockey. It was a lesiure skate for most vets out there today. Pre-season hockey hasn't ever been good, especially game 1. yall need to stop getting your panties in a bunch. it's pre-season game 1. no one's going balls to the wall if theyve already made the team, they're not going to risk getting injured. All the Ottawa guys today are fighting for contracts/spots on the roster they are going to have more jump. If the core is still like this after game 6 or 7 in pre-season then I find that to be a reasonable complaint. but game 1?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The team looked like they had no coaching whatsoever tonight... they laid an egg for the first 30 minutes and I thought it was a real disservice to the work they've supposedly put in with Berube. A terrible way to make a first impression. Then they got into their usual yakkity sax rally mode, gave it up as soon as they went ahead, pushed it to OT on last minute heroics, dominated OT only to end up blowing it to a bottom feeder on a rush chance via breakdown. This exact same script happens probably 0.75x per week.

Overracting as always, but no shit they looked like they've had no coaching. Berube has coached the team for 2 days and it's been split sessions to boot. Do you honestly expect them to perfect his system in two days? They are most def going to revert back to what they have been doing before. Berube will get that out of them but it will take time. We are not going to see change immediately. It's going to take a few games

Reactions: Bejeezus

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Overracting as always, but no shit they looked like they've had no coaching. Berube has coached the team for 2 days and it's been split sessions to boot. Do you honestly expect them to perfect his system in two days? They are most def going to revert back to what they have been doing before. Berube will get that out of them but it will take time. We are not going to see change immediately. It's going to take a few games

There’s a rule against Toronto being energetic to start a game? Game one of preseason just looks like the extension of bad culture that got the last guy fired but the excuses do flow freely. Berube had a lot of work to do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This was practically their opening night starting lineup, they have nothing to prove, it's just a glorified scrimmage for them

All well and good until they look sloppy and disinterested on opening night, then that becomes a glorified scrimmage until the real games are played. It’s a long season, long decade yada yada.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
There’s a rule against Toronto being energetic to start a game? Game one of preseason just looks like the extension of bad culture that got the last guy fired but the excuses do flow freely. Berube had a lot of work to do.

No shit Sherlock, Berube has work to do!!! He has had 2 days with them. To change habits takes weeks/months, not days let alone 2 days.

Additionally the vets did what they needed to do. Scored a couple goals and did not get injured in the first pre season game.

Reactions: Bejeezus

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No shit Sherlock, Berube has work to do!!! He has had 2 days with them. To change habits takes weeks/months, not days let alone 2 days.

Additionally the vets did what they needed to do. Scored a couple goals and did not get injured in the first pre season game.

I think you’re misdirecting your frustration to other fans when it should be focused on the team.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It was a bit cloudy outside today, this is why the Leafs didn't put in the effort.

Am I doing this right? :sarcasm:

I like Grebenkin's game and Woll was decent despite the half-hearted defense in front of him.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Grebenkin should make this team. I’m hoping he gets more looks with some quality line mates to see how he performs 5on5 because he has more offensive ability to showcase. Ignore the name plate and he’s the best youngster contending for a roster spot.

Not that it’s the be all end all, but I can’t remember another rookie 21 year old skill player who’s come into camp and fought in his first game like that. Gaudette has a decent rap sheet and Greb comfortably controlled him for most of that exchange. There’s some Buchnevich in him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think you’re misdirecting your frustration to other fans when it should be focused on the team.

Lol no it’s correctly directed at fans overreacting on a meaningless game.

I didn’t have an issue with the team today. Goaltending was pretty trash. Like I said, no one got hurt. Berube acknowledged the team has work to do. We showed we can score in front of the net. They started a little slow but that’s to be expected.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
So OEL has been anointed our late years Brodie, Holl, Larry Murphy after one pre season game.
Curious what offends the armchair GMs so much about him.
His contract. His face. His hyphenated name.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lol no it’s correctly directed at fans overreacting on a meaningless game.

I didn’t have an issue with the team today. Goaltending was pretty trash. Like I said, no one got hurt. Berube acknowledged the team has work to do. We showed we can score in front of the net. They started a little slow but that’s to be expected.

Exhibition games don’t matter, but the parroting the term “meaningless game” every time they play like shit is at the heart of the entire culture problem with this franchise. You accept low standards, inconsistency, periods and nights off cause they’ll figure it out next time. Well, guess what, they don’t do too well in “meaningful games” either. It’ll be nice to see Berube give them a rough ride.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So OEL has been anointed our late years Brodie, Holl, Larry Murphy after one pre season game.
Curious what offends the armchair GMs so much about him.
His contract. His face. His hyphenated name.

OEL needs to clean up his game when defending and wake up a little to his surroundings but his mobility looked pretty good.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

The result wasn't good, the effort wasn't good, the execution wasn't good.

Defensively, they looked uninterested, or just plain slow.

Maybe Tanev looked a little quick at times, but the other defenders, including Rielly, looked like they had weighted skates. I suppose you can still be both a smooth skater and slow.

Defensemen were not good. Not one of them.

And no result isn't everything, but everything else matters.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The result wasn't good, the effort wasn't good, the execution wasn't good.

Defensively, they looked uninterested, or just plain slow.

Maybe Tanev looked a little quick at times, but the other defenders, including Rielly, looked like they had weighted skates. I suppose you can still be both a smooth skater and slow.

Defensemen were not good. Not one of them.

And no result isn't everything, but everything else matters.

Yeah, the D looked pretty bad, but I think they failed on work ethic and compete, the two arenas Berube had outlined, which is the heart of their culture problems. Then they leaned heavily on the quick strike offense to get themselves out of a jam and it almost worked. A lot to dislike. Patches, Greb and Knies were good and the core forwards were productive so those were some of the few bright spots. Woll wasn't too bad. Murray isn't standing on his head so there's less of a chance he'll get claimed.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Grebenkin should make this team. I’m hoping he gets more looks with some quality line mates to see how he performs 5on5 because he has more offensive ability to showcase. Ignore the name plate and he’s the best youngster contending for a roster spot.

Not that it’s the be all end all, but I can’t remember another rookie 21 year old skill player who’s come into camp and fought in his first game like that. Gaudette has a decent rap sheet and Greb comfortably controlled him for most of that exchange. There’s some Buchnevich in him.

With Grebenkin, Patches, and Cowan battling, that probably puts Robertson in the minors again….

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Exhibition games don’t matter, but the parroting the term “meaningless game” every time they play like shit is at the heart of the entire culture problem with this franchise. You accept low standards, inconsistency, periods and nights off cause they’ll figure it out next time. Well, guess what, they don’t do too well in “meaningful games” either. It’ll be nice to see Berube give them a rough ride.

You need a chill pill man. It ain’t that serious. The maple leafs aren’t life or death. I don’t really give af that much honestly. So I’m not “accepting” anything. I just watch the games then do something else after lmao.

I’ll say it for the 3rd time. It’s day 2/3 of Berube having these guys. Coaches are not allowed to work with players in the off season. So yes it’s only been 2 days, the habits won’t be changed immediately. Pretty sure that was whole purpose of dressing a roster like this for game one. Berube wanted to see what truly needs to be fixed and get a feel for how he needs to manage the stars in real games. Game 1, this reaction is unwarranted. Game 6 or 7 of preseason I could understand the reaction.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Robertson could also score some goals and compete...

Is he going to beat out all those guys? I’m not sure there’s even more than 1 available spot, which patches seems to already have locked up.

Dewar and Holmberg likely compete for a different spot - one that Grebenkin could also take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad