GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Effort level in games like this have plagued the Leafs for years.

It was smart for Bérubé to run his core guys in this game, they showed him their colours.

I liked the setup they were using behind the net. Finally some different looks on the PP and in puck movement. Even if it’s not used all the time, some diversity will help open up lanes

Yeah, Berube iced a fairly conventional and intact Leafs lineup and they showed him who they are.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Yep they’ve had two practices with an entirely new coaching staff. I think a few fans have their expectations for this game a little out of whack.
You're right! Part of being a happy Leaf fan is keeping expectations low. Don't expect much the first game of preseason, don't expect much at end of preseason, don't expect much during regular season and expect more of the same playoff success. Should be a sticky on how to keep a Leaf fan happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BallardEra

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Effort level in games like this have plagued the Leafs for years.

It was smart for Bérubé to run his core guys in this game, they showed him their colours.

I liked the setup they were using behind the net. Finally some different looks on the PP and in puck movement. Even if it’s not used all the time, some diversity will help open up lanes

Pre-season is a bit of a mirage with bubble players playing with a ton of tenacity and adrenaline. Leafs B squad in pre-season last season played a lot better as well. Timmins looked like primed Karlsson. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. If by the end of November the effort and crap games happen a lot, I'll worry.

Woll seemed poised. That 3rd goal was not great but he kept the team in when it was bad.

Pacioretty scored twice so he'll stand out. As advertised, a strong but average speed skater with a lot of tools offensively. A cheap replacement for Bertuzzi. He'll be a strong vet to bolster the LW.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Yep they’ve had two practices with an entirely new coaching staff. I think a few fans have their expectations for this game a little out of whack.
Anyone watching a pre-season for results needs to take a break. This is all about implementing systems, evaluating certain players and giving others the chance to settle in on a new team.

I thought some of the young guys looked good. I thought some of the vets didn't. Pretty standard for pre-season game 1 I'd say.

Guys that stood out to me were Pacioretty as a plus. Grebenkin was playing hard. Matthews looked good with the C. Our goalies were terrible, but so were theirs!

No one injured? Then I'd say that is a good start to the pre-season. Me thinks Berube has pages of notes, lol.

+Edit: I liked what I saw of Knies as well. Moving well for a big man. He's going to be an impact player, and I am excited for it!

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Pre-season is a bit of a mirage with bubble players playing with a ton of tenacity and adrenaline. Leafs B squad in pre-season last season played a lot better as well. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. If by the end of November the effort and crap games happen a lot, I'll worry.

Woll seemed poised. That 3rd goal was not great but he kept the team in when it was bad.

Pacioretty scored twice so he'll stand out. As advertised, a strong but average speed skater with a lot of tools offensively. A very similar game to Tavares. He'll be a strong vet to bolster the LW.
Exactly what you said

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Oh please. There's nothing in their sloppy game that we don't see on a regular basis vs Ottawa Senators the past few years. And that's probably the point from a coaching POV. To expose and correct.

Let's rewind to last September where we basically watched the exact same exhibition game unfold:

Reactions: Gilmour1996

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You're right! Part of being a happy Leaf fan is keeping expectations low. Don't expect much first game preseason, don't expect much at end of preseason, don't expect much during regular season and expect more of the same playoff success. Should be a sticky on how to keep a Leaf fan happy.
Sure you can do that if you like. I was just referring to tonight.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Berube was never going to switch the entire team mentality around in 1 preseason game.

I trust that he's the right kind of coach who actually desires to change how the team plays. The thing I'm hoping really doesn't happen is the team struggles and another coach gets thrown under the bus to safeguard the core from criticism.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It was right about the time the OT winner went in when Berube was overheard muttering to himself "Ok, so now I get it."

Seriously folks, I'm not reading anything into the first pre-season game (for which I missed the entire 1st period as I didn't even know they were playing).

When the young 'uns look good, noted. They should be trying. Just about everyone else has a spot locked up so please don't go ballistic when they look less than 100% engaged, even with a new coach they're trying to impress.

The game I care about is opening night. And every game after that.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What's this fascination by our GM for players that either arrived banged up, on their last legs, have chronic ailments or soon to be LTIR candidates? Can't be scouting players in your head sitting on a deck at the cottage over a few beer, reminiscing how effective players were 5-10 years ago before picking up the phone. Where's that pic of Brad anyway when you need it?
They need a time machine. Back to the future.

I did like the look of Pacioretty. He plays hard to the net, and I was pleasantly surprised. Based on tonight, I would play him over Cowan.

OEL made me shudder. Four years? Really?

Tanev, I just don't know. Six years is a long time. Come to think of it, this season could be a long one too.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Anyone watching a pre-season for results needs to take a break. This is all about implementing systems, evaluating certain players and giving others the chance to settle in on a new team.

I thought some of the young guys looked good. I thought some of the vets didn't. Pretty standard for pre-season game 1 I'd say.

Guys that stood out to me were Pacioretty as a plus. Grebenkin was playing hard. Matthews looked good with the C. Our goalies were terrible, but so were theirs!

No one injured? Then I'd say that is a good start to the pre-season. Me thinks Berube has pages of notes, lol.

+Edit: I liked what I saw of Knies as well. Moving well for a big man. He's going to be an impact player, and I am excited for it!
At the end of the season, the Leafs will have 110 points and the Senators will be out of the playoffs.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Couldn't watch the game - how did Cowan, Grebenkin, Chadwick, and Webber look?

Grebenkin stood out in his debut. Fought Gaudette in a good tilt and got the crowd fired up. He wasn't amazing but had some good moments.

Cowan was much quieter but had some good plays here and there. Ice time seemed limited and played with Reaves. I hope he plays on the "B squad" so that he can get more icetime to shine.

Chadwick did not play. Webber was fine to meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: IceColdBear

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Berube post game presser is a little refreshing to hear he's not a fan of the cute stuff in the o-zone, too much forcing the cute play and passing up on shots. Would rather they just give it to the open man at the point and take a simple shot.

Reactions: Antropovsky

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

When I saw Reaves take reps on the PK, I knew we'd be in for a night of meaningless hockey.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Berube post game presser is a little refreshing to hear he's not a fan of the cute stuff in the o-zone, too much forcing the cute play and passing up on shots. Would rather they just give it to the open man at the point and take a simple shot.
Marner is the worst offender of this... its gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. Marner wants to be perimeter cute passer, while Berube wants north south safe hockey.

Matthews and Nylander included. However... noone relies on cute plays more than Marner. Id argue Tavares prefers north south hockey. Matthews is good at it too, when he has linemates who play it too.

Reactions: TMLAM34

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Marner is the worst offender of this... its gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. Marner wants to be perimeter cute passer, while Berube wants north south safe hockey.

Matthews and Nylander included. However... noone relies on cute plays more than Marner. Id argue Tavares prefers north south hockey. Matthews is good at it too, when he has linemates who play it too.
Patrick Kane makes cute plays, won three stanley cups doing it. Datsyuk won two cups making all kinds of cute plays.

We need to allow our best players to make plays only the best players can make - but they need to be smart about where and when to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad