Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Context. You think second best Pp in the regular season means f*** all?

Having such a proficient regular season powerplay is a clear indicator that we should have the required talent to have a top tier playoff poweplay. I do not blame the new coaches whatsoever for wanting to coach the best players in that role and bring new ideas. I’m sure they spent all summer breaking down tape of our special teams to identify the problems. If they thought it was player personnel on the pp driving the issues and not systems/tactics maybe changing the roles a bit they’d be trying a different group.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
if they can stay healthy the only one I don't have faith in is Lilly, we'll see if he can play Berube style hockey from the get go or continues to fade when the going gets tough.........

Lily is a question mark for me as well. For all the upside and the hope people place on him he always comes across as inconsistent as a competitor and the mental focus wears down when the fatigue sets in. Boston sniffs out weakness in him too. One of the guys Berube needs to whip into shape. As a defensive graduate of the Leafs development system he's not battle hardened enough to trust.

Reactions: rumman

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
You'd rather watch a crap team all season? That makes sense. Leafs fans prefer a crap team over a good one for sure. So you won't be watching until next May for the inevitable 1st round exit?
Context. Again. Where did I say I won’t be watching? I haven’t missed a game in over 20 years. The original post I replied to said “2nd best pp over the last 3 years” - in the regular season. Where the actual f*** does that matter at all? Seriously, how does it matter at all?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You'd rather watch a crap team all season? That makes sense. Leafs fans prefer a crap team over a good one for sure. So you won't be watching until next May for the inevitable 1st round exit?

From a pure novelty POV, a bottom out season in a contending window would be extremely compelling, not to mention the possibility of adding a franchise level talent for 3x ELC years and the tectonic shifts at the big league level. It would be a disaster but it would be extremely engaging.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Context. Again. Where did I say I won’t be watching? I haven’t missed a game in over 20 years. The original post I replied to said “2nd best pp over the last 3 years” - in the regular season. Where the actual f*** does that matter at all? Seriously, how does it matter at all?

It matters in being a good team? That's good right? Yes, playoffs. We get it. But regular season matters. It always does. If you've watched for 20 years you'd understand. If it doesn't matter you wouldn't watch? I don't understand at all the concept of taking a dump on any positives from this team. If it doesn't matter, enjoy your evenings and circle May 2025 when it matters.

The original argument was that this teams PP is a joke. Someone said it was 2nd in the league... can't be that bad right? PLAYOFFS THOUGH.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Second best PP in the league over 3 years. IS THERE A TROPHY FOR THAT? Does it start with Stanley? No? Then I don’t give a f***.
There is no trophy, but it's good information to have when you're trying to work out PP combinations, and it certainly disputes the idea that the unit is a "freakin' JOKE".
If you only care about the cup, you're about 9 months early.

Reactions: Sypher04

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From a pure novelty POV, a bottom out season in a contending window would be extremely compelling, not to mention the possibility of adding a franchise level talent for 3x ELC years and the tectonic shifts at the big league level. It would be a disaster but it would be extremely engaging.

Yeah it's so much fun assembling young players and in hopes to be as good as.... the team we currently have.

2004-2016 was when we could all agree this team sucked -- inside and out. It was a peaceful time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There is no trophy, but it's good information to have when you're trying to work out PP combinations, and it certainly disputes the idea that the unit is a "freakin' JOKE".
If you only care about the cup, you're about 9 months early.

The powerplay has to work when it's called upon in critical moments.

The organizational change would imply the Leafs see a problem with it and need to make changes, which doesn't align with your business as usual messaging.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
It matters in being a good team? That's good right? Yes, playoffs. We get it. But regular season matters. It always does. If you've watched for 20 years you'd understand. If it doesn't matter you wouldn't watch? I don't understand at all the concept of taking a dump on any positives from this team. If it doesn't matter, enjoy your evenings and circle May 2025 when it matters.

The original argument was that this teams PP is a joke. Someone said it was 2nd in the league... can't be that bad right? PLAYOFFS THOUGH.
It is a joke when it matters that’s why I said context.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It is a joke when it matters that’s why I said context.

It was still factually the 2nd best PP in the league in larger sample. But yes, they have failed miserably in the playoffs in a lot more ways than one.

But regular season matters. It always does. That's it, that's all.

Reactions: Sypher04

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah it's so much fun assembling young players and in hopes to be as good as.... the team we currently have.

2004-2016 was when we could all agree this team sucked -- inside and out. It was a peaceful time.

A disaster season and the possibility of adding a James Hagens to this core would be extremely interesting to watch unfold and could have a huge positive on this franchise and extend the window of contention for a long time. No one is going to actively cheer for that but that would be an extremely entertaining scenario.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A disaster season and the possibility of adding a James Hagens to this core would be extremely interesting to watch unfold and could have a huge positive on this franchise and extend the window of contention for a long time. No one is going to actively cheer for that but that would be an extremely entertaining scenario.

I'd rather win and have a shot at the cup or get the full disappointment of the playoffs than lose for a player.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad