GDT: SENS in California (Kings), Thurs. 10:30pm on TSN

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yea but we're one of the few (the only?) that sells draft picks and better players for money.

And one of the few that routinely overpays depth players not because of their skill, but because of intangibles and character.

Well, my feelings towards our owner are well known as I really really really dislike him, so there's that.

For the second part, I think that's a pretty common issue, not sure about one of the few I'd have to dig through some rosters.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You could argue we have the most overpaid forward and defenceman in the league. Not a recipe for success.

Pretty danm close to being a fact.

Phaneuf and Ryan, then you add Burrows (you can find AHLers better than him) , Boro (overpaid because of intangibles) , Thompson(who I like) Smith (good but overpaid) Max McCormick (a f***ing one way to an AHL lifer?)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You don't think it matters that a budget team has some of the worst contracts in the league?

You don't think we'd be a better team if that money was better allocated?

Ok so we reallocate $1.5 million . Now what?
How about reallocating the $14 million for Ryan and Phaneuf? With that you can do something.
The point is that Burrows is overpaid for his role but it means precious little when a bunch of guys above him that make loads more money and have more expected from them are sucking as well.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I agree they played well in the playoffs, Ryan in particular, but we’re stuck with those two for the next 4-5 years and they are making a lot of money. In the long run, those deals are bad.

We should all be proud of how far we went last year, because I think it’s going to be a long time before we get back to the conference finals.

Well, that's why I feel like this is a team on paper that should easily be in a playoff spot, so if they aren't, then that's on the players like Ryan, Phaneuf, Duchene, Hoffman, Karlsson. They aren't playing good enough, that is 100% on them. They just aren't doing enough.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well, that's why I feel like this is a team on paper that should easily be in a playoff spot, so if they aren't, then that's on the players like Ryan, Phaneuf, Duchene, Hoffman, Karlsson. They aren't playing good enough, that is 100% on them. They just aren't doing enough.

I predicted we’d miss the playoffs before the season started. We lost a top pairing dman, a top six forward, our goalie is 36, and other teams like Tampa were bound to get better. I’m not surprised to be where we are.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I predicted we’d miss the playoffs before the season started. We lost a top pairing dman, a top six forward, our goalie is 36, and other teams like Tampa were bound to get better. I’m not surprised to be where we are.

Well it looks like your prediction is going to come true because they look terrible, haha.

I figured Mac was gone anyway, I thought Andy would be better, and that one of Chabot/Claesson/Harpur could fill the Methot role. It looks like that is not happening.

But mostly, I didn't think Karlsson would look this bad along with every. single. forward. but Stone.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When 50 people think one thing and one other person sees things a different way, maybe the one guy is the one that is not watching the games??

I was only able to watch the first last night, saw Chabot make a couple little mistakes that didn't result in goals against, but saw Harpur get walked resulting in a goal and Oduya look all kinds of awful. Just curious about ice-time, any particular reason Chabot only saw 10 minutes? Or just Boucher being Boucher again?
You admitted (two pages ago) that you did not watch the game last night, other than the first period.

Perhaps you're the one who is not watching the games?

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
please explain how.

I hate when people make posts like this. It's objectively a bad thing when a player's cap hit is higher than warranted by his contributions. For a team that can't flex much financial muscle, they need to be on the other side of those little discrepancies, and consistently so.

Asking a fan what other options there for the money being wasted, when he's clearly not privy to information like that, is ridiculous.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I saw at least 3 clear breakaways and some horrible zone coverage, so I'm not super optimistic.

Ottawa looked better, but I don't think we looked good.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Please give us three lists.

One, list the players on the Senators roster, who are being overpaid.

Two, list the players on the Senators roster, who are being underpaid.

Three, list the players on the Senators roster, who are being the proper amount.

Then, explain why any of this matters when they play a game.
No need to
Anybody with common sense know Ryan is overpaid

Just look at his P%/monthly pay and you’ll see it like everybody

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Pretty danm close to being a fact.

Phaneuf and Ryan, then you add Burrows (you can find AHLers better than him) , Boro (overpaid because of intangibles) , Thompson(who I like) Smith (good but overpaid) Max McCormick (a ****ing one way to an AHL lifer?)
Before Burrows what about Smith and Brassard?
Sign better players? Not be forced away to trade better players and picks for an inferior player to save money?

An extra $1.5 million ( at best ) does nothing!!!!!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No need to
Anybody with common sense know Ryan is overpaid

Just look at his P%/monthly pay and you’ll see it like everybody

Okay, so only Ryan is overpaid ...... and no one else.

got it.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Anyone else think this team is missing a physical presence on the backend? Since Boro's been out team is 1-6-1 in this latest stretch and teams seem to just skate by our d at will. Like what was Harpur doing on that first goal, so weak.
Agree
To be fair though Toffoli is as fast as they come and It was only Harpur 21th NHL game
The guy is learning
Maybe the hard way but hes learning
And GB starting to recognize that and gave him minutes after that gaffe
If only he could do the same with Chabz

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Agree
To be fair though Toffoli is as fast as they come and It was only Harpur 21th NHL game
The guy is learning
Maybe the hard way but hes learning
And GB starting to recognize that and gave him minutes after that gaffe
If oly he could do the same with Chabz

Plus 9 playoff games.

But he is still "learning the ropes" so to speak....... and I see him as a better option than Oduya for a partner to play with Karlsson.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I want to live in a world where everyone buries their heads in the sand and pretends Alex Burrows is still a good NHL player. It would be an apologist's utopia.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But isn't that sports? One yr a team goes on a explainable great run & everything is going right & the following yr they suck & nothing is working with no puck luck. It happens all the time & every yr to some team, this yr it's the Sens turn.

Earlier this yr Bergevin was a terrible GM on here & now that the team has turned it around, the heat is off him. Gallant wasn't good enough for Florida & now he has had a miraculous comeback with LV. Most thought Dustin Brown was finished & he has been reborn this yr. We had a great run with the Hambugler one yr & with Condon another & this yr they all suck. That's sports & at the moment the Sens suck, who knows if they will be able to recover or not this yr. When they are losing they get picked apart like road kill & when they are winning they are the best players in the world. That's sports in a nutshell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just don’t know how many strength and conditioning coaches end up as assistant GM’s. That’s why I asked.

I don't think he was disputing that he said Ryan was overpaid. What he seemed to take issue was the claim that he suggested only Ryan was overpaid.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Also on another note Duchene was bomb last night he showed his game breaking ability
How is he supposed to shake it off when he gets stapled to the bench when he makes a mistake? He is going to be petrified to make any plays going forward if the coach doesn't let him play through it. Harpur got walked like a pylon on one of the goals and gets 20 minutes last night. Oduya gravitates towards Karlssons side of the ice, loses his man and a goal against ensuesyet he sees regular ice time. Chabot (a rookie) makes a couple mistakes that leads to no goals against get's glued to the bench for an extended period of time.

He didn't get stapled to the bench when he made A mistake. He made more than 3 pretty bad mistakes that his team covered up and then he got benched.

Its part of the maturing process I really don't understand why some people are upset that a young defensemen making mistakes was held back in a very important game.

You answered your own question btw. Harpur (a rookie) got walked then responded by getting better and better and was using his body and stick work to make plays. Chabot made mistakes and continued to make dangerous plays instead of simplifying his game.

Reactions: Brethers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad