Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #1

Who is the Sens #1 Prospect at the moment?

• Roby Jarventie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mads Søgaard

• Oskar Pettersson

• Gabriel Eliasson

• Jorian Donovan

• Angus Crookshank

• Leevi Merilainen

• Maxence Guénette

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The rebuild failed. It wasn't successful. Now we get to see if it can be retooled or we sell off.
The entire core is still here. If we make the playoffs I don’t think it failed so much as it took longer than anyone would have liked.

It fails when you start selling off the core. So basically it’s on the cusp of failure should thing go south again this year.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The rebuild failed. It wasn't successful. Now we get to see if it can be retooled or we sell off.
I'm not sure I'd call it a failure yet.

The core from this rebuild is brady, norris, drake, pinto, greig, tim, sandy and chabot. Toss in zub as another core piece going forward.

That's the current rebuild core as i see it.

Last year was a step backwards, but they're still really young and rebuilds take years.

I don't think I'd call that core a failure yet. Would you?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I'm not sure I'd call it a failure yet.

The core from this rebuild is brady, norris, drake, pinto, greig, tim, sandy and chabot. Toss in zub as another core piece going forward.

That's the current rebuild core as i see it.

Last year was a step backwards, but they're still really young and rebuilds take years.

I don't think I'd call that core a failure yet. Would you?
Going into year 8. 1 player a year average. Terrible drafting outside of 1 year. After a fire sale of players, not aged out players either, pissing away picks in every way possible. The rebuild failed. It's cooked. Now the new group has to fix everything from the office to the team. People, in general, are getting pissed. It gets on track or starts over in the next 18 months. No more fcking about folks. Cross roads are coming and choices will be made.

arian487

Jul 15, 2009
Our prospect pool is horrendous but a lot of the blame also falls on the shoulders of our horrendous drafting. Over the last few years we've reached for large, slow players and they've pretty much all been misses. Yakemchuk himself was a bit of a reach and there are glaring holes in his game that could result in him being a bust.

If we get a couple hits instead of the bouchers we've been drafting then the pool looks much better despite trading top picks away. IMO it's ok to trade to keep top picks if you think you can contend.

We seem to be allergic to picking the BPA or drafting high end skill.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Our prospect pool is horrendous but a lot of the blame also falls on the shoulders of our horrendous drafting. Over the last few years we've reached for large, slow players and they've pretty much all been misses. Yakemchuk himself was a bit of a reach and there are glaring holes in his game that could result in him being a bust.

If we get a couple hits instead of the bouchers we've been drafting then the pool looks much better despite trading top picks away. IMO it's ok to trade to keep top picks if you think you can contend.

We seem to be allergic to picking the BPA or drafting high end skill.
I don’t know if this is fair.

Our 2023 draft was pretty good considering our first pick was in the 4th round. Stanley and Andonovski both have a real chance to play NHL games. I don’t know if there is anything much to complain about there.

In 2022 our first pick was 62nd overall. Odds of an NHL player in these ranges is low as it is. Halliday, Pettersson, Donovan, Wallberg and Reidler all seem like good prospects so far for where they were taken.

In the end these are all long shot picks, and probably only a couple of them make it in the end, but that’s what you expect relative to draft position.

This year is too early to get a read on. I think only 2021 was actually bad.

Sens need to be more open-minded and creative at the draft table and expand what they focus on, but I don’t think they’ve necessarily been bad either. If we had kept the 5 first and second round picks we gave up in the DeBrincat/Chychrun trades it doesn’t mean our pool would look good, but I don’t know how much more we can expect out of the 2022/2023 drafts given how late we were picking.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Going into year 8. 1 player a year average. Terrible drafting outside of 1 year. After a fire sale of players, not aged out players either, pissing away picks in every way possible. The rebuild failed. It's cooked. Now the new group has to fix everything from the office to the team. People, in general, are getting pissed. It gets on track or starts over in the next 18 months. No more fcking about folks. Cross roads are coming and choices will be made.
FIrst, adding 1 young player to your core each year would be absolutely outstanding.

2nd, almost none of this core was around 8 years ago. Our current 1C would have been like 14 years old, and by your calculation our rebuild started immediately after losing in game 7 OT of the ECF, which is pretty obviously not correct.

Like, can you be specific instead of just rambling off these indignations?

So some specific questions for you.

When did the current rebuild start and what moves kicked it off?
What has to happen for you to consider a rebuild done?
What specifically should the team do if we miss the playoffs again this year?

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn and Loach

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The entire core is still here. If we make the playoffs I don’t think it failed so much as it took longer than anyone would have liked.

It fails when you start selling off the core. So basically it’s on the cusp of failure should thing go south again this year.

Rebuild hasn’t failed at all, it’s delayed.

If we have this core to Steve Staois 3 years ago we’d be a playoff team by now. Dorion had a bad team with a bad culture led by a terrible owner

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
FIrst, adding 1 young player to your core each year would be absolutely outstanding.

2nd, almost none of this core was around 8 years ago. Our current 1C would have been like 14 years old, and by your calculation our rebuild started immediately after losing in game 7 OT of the ECF, which is pretty obviously not correct.

The rebuild started in 2018 when they started trading vets and the decision was made to go full rebuild (it took the Karlsson trade for us to know)

I understand both POVs, the current rebuild is still "alive" but is also already a failure... 7 years without playoffs (it's going to be minimum 8) is a lot when you start a rebuild with these assets :

Karlsson (27)
Stone (25)
Duchene (28)
Pageau (24)
Hoffman (27)
Brassard (30)
Dzingel (25)
Ceci (23)

Prospects :

Chabot (20)
Batherson (19)
Formenton (18)
Paul (22)
White (20)
Brown (19)
Chlapik (20)
Bowers (18)
Kelly (18)
Wolanin (22)
Jaros (21)
Englund (21)
Harpur (22)
Claesson (24)
Lajoie (19)
Daccord (21)
Hogberg (22)
Driedger (23)

I mean we probably had more wealth when the rebuild started than now :laugh:

Staios has now taken over this rebuild and has already started retooling. We'll see what will happen but I am mitigated at the moment. Hoping for the best but damn, we have wasted so many years for absolutely nothing, I mean Tkachuk is going to be the same age as when we traded Mark Stone lmao

why even do this?

Self infliction?

Seriously, it's the tradition as we have been keeping track of this for 20+ years. Always interesting to look back and also use it in current discussions

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yakemchuk .... the weiner. :handclap:
pjimage-1.jpg

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
even if I didn't want to draft Yak, I'm happy we have a blue chip prospect now. If Kleven makes the big club, the prospect pool is utterly shite.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad