News Article: Sens big losers of draft, per TheScore

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I gotta say Maidens was a good pick in the third. It's not every day concussions ruin a junior career and he had first round potential.

It's sad really. He could have been a really good clutch player for us.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It must be nice to make lists of draft pick successes. I wonder why they're all by different organizations.

It's almost like drafting and trying to project the future of a bunch of kids isn't a science.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which part or the argument don't you like, Bonk? That there's value in third? I picked 2012 because four years is about the amount of time it takes to know what you have. But OK, 2013 - Pesce, Duclair, Andrighetto. Borkstrand.

The odds are better of a McLeod etc. panning out, and landing a guy like that in third, than they are of Brown panning out.

Whether or not the move was ballsy or stupid remains to be seen, but I'd feel safer playing the odds than trusting the Sens management to know how a teenager is going to develop.

The argument was terrible because it could be applied to pretty much every single team in the league. There are always a handful of great picks in later rounds, but no team consistently hits on them. We have examples of hits like Pageau, Hoffman, Stone.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Which part or the argument don't you like, Bonk? That there's value in third? I picked 2012 because four years is about the amount of time it takes to know what you have. But OK, 2013 - Pesce, Duclair, Andrighetto. Borkstrand.

The odds are better of a McLeod etc. panning out, and landing a guy like that in third, than they are of Brown panning out.

Whether or not the move was ballsy or stupid remains to be seen, but I'd feel safer playing the odds than trusting the Sens management to know how a teenager is going to develop.

So you're criteria for why the Sens are average drafters is that they don't get a good player out of every single pick they make?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who knows how a kid is going to pan out over the next decade, there are just so many factors involved including the team they play for & where they are in their own development by the time the kid makes it on the team if they ever do. Sometimes they are traded before they ever play a game. Making assumptions regarding winners & losers at draft time is really just media nonsense to incite hits & sell papers & express opinions which mean very little. It's always down the road a few yrs that we get to see what the hype was about or what the crap written about a player is about & whether it is true or false. These kids have a number of yrs before they get the opportunity to prove people right or wrong.

I was pissed off that they drafted a tiny little defenceman named Karlsson & he wins the Norris, twice. People were meh about Ottawa drafting Stone & Hoffman especially because they were in the later rounds & they have turned into two of the most important pieces on this team. People were all gaga to trade for Ryan or to draft Zibanejad & now they are not so sure those were good choices so who really knows, it's such a crap shoot how players are going to play for your team when they finally get here. You just wish that when a guy comes to play for this team they over perform & become great players, sometimes you win & sometimes you don't.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There's a difference between playing the odds and straight up gambling.

Frank8 seems to me like he wants to gamble and not play the odds.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Am i the only one who thinks Columbus is the biggest looser with their selection? not that i don't like PLD but its obviously a need over BPA pick.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
First time post

I was really happy with the Logan Brown pick. I didn't know a lot of the prospects in this draft, except the guys around the Sens pick, but Brown was my favourite. The third round pick has a very small chance at ever making the NHL, let alone becoming anything of relevance. The Sens probably got wind that New Jersey was eyeing Brown, or somebody was trying to trade with the Devils to select Brown. The Sens forfeited the very small chance at getting an NHL player with the 3rd pick to secure the guy they really liked. I love the move

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Am i the only one who thinks Columbus is the biggest looser with their selection? not that i don't like PLD but its obviously a need over BPA pick.

Yeah, that could really backfire for them. It's funny to see Edmonton and Calgary end up with guys I'm sure they thought would be gone.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

We wont know for years, For all we know they are geniuses and have reason to believe Puljujarvi busts or doesnt live up to expectations

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
First time post

I was really happy with the Logan Brown pick. I didn't know a lot of the prospects in this draft, except the guys around the Sens pick, but Brown was my favourite. The third round pick has a very small chance at ever making the NHL, let alone becoming anything of relevance. The Sens probably got wind that New Jersey was eyeing Brown, or somebody was trying to trade with the Devils to select Brown. The Sens forfeited the very small chance at getting an NHL player with the 3rd pick to secure the guy they really liked. I love the move

Welcome to the boards :welcome:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We wont know for years, For all we know they are geniuses and have reason to believe Puljujarvi busts or doesnt live up to expectations

I would have taken Dubois ahead of him too but still surprised the Finn GM didn't take a Finn who was rated higher. You never know I guess. I love the way Dubois plays & he has a real edge to his game that I like. It's possible Puljujarvi ends up with more pts but Dubois will be a powerforward in the NHL that could be feared with his size, speed, hitting & scoring combination. I like everything about this guy's game, he's exactly the kind of player Ottawa needs to develop.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/winners-and-losers-from-the-first-round-of-the-draft/

Says Ottawa is the losers here also.

Personally Brown was a target of mine even when he was ranked in the 20's. IMO Ottawa did what they had to do to get the player they wanted. They probably have an inside track on this kid since he spent time in Ottawa over the last few seasons working out with the club.
The Hockey News also predicted the Sens would come in last in the east the 2 first years when Maclean coached and they went to the playoffs. They seem a very Toronto centric publication.
I don't understand all the hand wringing about moving up in the draft-it happens every year when a team has identified a player they want.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
According to Dorion he said "there's a guy we really want" to Shero after MTL picked at 9. Maybe they had intel that Ottawa wanted Brown, but it doesn't sound like Dorion straight up told NJ he wanted Brown.

So either NJ knew Ottawa wanted Brown, made a good move to get a "free" pick, or NJ looked at the board after COL picked and determined that there were more than 2 prospects that they had ranked equally enough that it was worth it to pick up an extra asset to let Ottawa have the first choice.

Dorion took a calculated risk to ensure he'd get a guy who he probably had ranked much higher than those who'd be available if he was taken off the board by a different team at 11. It was worth it.

Only time will tell if it was worth it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The quote just shows how dumb whoever it was that wrote it is.
Can we get rid of this silly thread?
It doesn't look good here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
First time post

I do not love the move but I don't hate it either as a third round pick does not have a high likelihood of yielding an NHL player. The Senators could have retained the pick and drafted 12th at which point they could have taken Brown, McLeod , Chychrun's or any of the other players drafted later, which many of posters would like too. Only time will tell if this was a bright right move. I am OK with it because the cost is low. No big deal.

Now I want to see a big deal like signing Stamkos! THAT would be worth getting excited about!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't see Columbus as the biggest loser in this draft. Too early to tell.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I do not love the move but I don't hate it either as a third round pick does not have a high likelihood of yielding an NHL player. The Senators could have retained the pick and drafted 12th at which point they could have taken Brown, McLeod , Chychrun's or any of the other players drafted later, which many of posters would like too. Only time will tell if this was a bright right move. I am OK with it because the cost is low. No big deal.

Now I want to see a big deal like signing Stamkos! THAT would be worth getting excited about!

But the Sens could have had Brown ranked very high, and were happy that he had fallen this low. Guys like McLeod and Chychrun could have been a big drop off, in their eyes.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
But the Sens could have had Brown ranked very high, and were happy that he had fallen this low. Guys like McLeod and Chychrun could have been a big drop off, in their eyes.

THAT is most likely true, given what happened. But NJ had a different opinion. Virtually all of the draft picks require further development to become NHL players, so there is risk with all picks.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Im confused. How did this become a 5 page thread? Its a complete non-story.

NHL fans don't like being told they were draft losers for no good reason. Pretty simple.

As for me, the fact that we basically drafted a guy that was ranked 7th when we originally had the 12th, while giving up nothing of immense value, means we actually are big winners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad