Pre-Game Talk: Sens at Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This game is very strange to me.

First off I actually expect the Oilers to win this game by a large margin.

If they win it doesn't mean anything cause they are a weak Eastern team. If the Oilers actually lose I imagine the fire Eakins thread will get a well deserved surge.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. Until the Oil start beating Western Conference teams its all moot.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This game is very strange to me.

First off I actually expect the Oilers to win this game by a large margin.

If they win it doesn't mean anything cause they are a weak Eastern team. If the Oilers actually lose I imagine the fire Eakins thread will get a well deserved surge.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. Until the Oil start beating Western Conference teams its all moot.
The Sens are 7-4-4

How is this a slam dunk win?

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
The Sens are 7-4-4

How is this a slam dunk win?

Washington was undefeated in regulation when the Oilers played them, Tampa Bay is first in the Atlantic Division and the Oilers beat them, and the Rangers were the Eastern Conference Champions last year and the Oilers dominated them.

Not saying this game is a slam dunk, but as it has been well documented by many this team seems to have little difficulty playing well and beating Eastern Conference opponents.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
we're getting way too cocky about this whole eastern conference thing.

Blow out in favour of the sens to bring us back to earth and realize we suck against everyone not just the west.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Blow out in favour of the sens to bring us back to earth and realize we suck against everyone not just the west.

This team is definitely better than last year.

Say what you will about Scrivens, but his GAA is more than a point less than Doobie's was at this point last season. Partly due to Scrivens.

Partly due to a better D. Don't know why Niki is playing right now. Isn't Ference back yet? Eakins is getting better. I hope Klefa isn't sent back down and Aulie is, but...

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I fully expect several Oilers to blow by Bobby Ryan before scoring...big time....

Also, I expect Eberle to undress several Senators D to spite some guy I have a vendetta with-- who I don't know or remember. He had the gall to respond to some stupid thread I created a few days ago.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Schultz can't outplay Hunt.

:laugh: you even watch the game against Nashville? If he repeats with a full game performance Shultz is putting points on the board tonight.

Would be awesome if Schultz could play D at all.
Let's not try to place those two in the same category.
They aren't in the same galaxy.

Karlsson is not known for playing strong D at all. Shultz it most likely to develop into an Karlsson type player anyhow.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Came in to thread expecting to see positivity about Oilers potential to beat the Sens.
Left wondering how on earth we are debating Schultz vs Karlsson... speaking of the previous poster's comment on another galaxy, I suppose Schultz would be as effective as Karlsson in another galaxy where he stays the same age yet Erik ages :sarcasm:

Oil 4-2

Edit: oops forgot the #interstellar

Last edited:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Karlsson is not known for playing strong D at all. Shultz it most likely to develop into an Karlsson type player anyhow.

I don't think you understand how good Karlsson is offensively. This isn't a player that puts up numbers because he's a pp qb on an offensive team. This guy is one of the best offensive defensemen I've ever seen.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I see a high scoring game featuring two teams with truly abysmal defenses. Outside of Karlsson Ottawa's D is worse than ours and that's REALLY saying something.

6-4 Oilers. Pouliot, Yakx2, Eberle, Schutlz, Draisaitl.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I know i can be a broken record on this topic, but I hope we play Fasth. We can promise Ben the next start.

Im not a fan of benching a goalie for a bad period. Let him bounce back.

We can't afford to risk points by playing him when he's so inconsistent. He's going to either stand on his head or cost us another game, and I don't think that 50/50 is good enough odds to play him right now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

It's true. This team is built to play in the East. We are at least a bubble playoff team out east. It's not a slam dunk we'll win, but it'll be a disappointment if we don't

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Schultz and Karlsson are equally ****** at defense. I remember you were singing Hunt's praises before the season started-- what happened?

Your memory is a little skewed..and selective.

I was saying what MacT was saying...give him a few games at the beginning to see what he had and that was the perfect time to get it out of the way. If he didn't work out (which he didn't), send him down.

I never said he was a bonified NHL player...just needed to see what they had before letting him go. Done!

And I didn't say Schultz was as good offensively as Karlsson...Just not another galaxy different with 3 less years in the league...However, he actually played decent defence last game so...

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

You do realize they're the same age right? It's not like Karlsson is 30, and Schultz is 18. They're both 24. Schultz has a career high of 33 points. Karlsson put up 78 points before Schultz was even in the league. Karlsson is pretty overrated imo, but Schultz isn't even close to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad