GDT: Senators' Final Preseason Weekend | Wings 'n' Habs | Friday and Saturday, 7PM

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The last guy we’ve had who actually won fights is Brian McGrattan.

All that matters is someone going off the ice that we don’t miss.
Usually that means the policeman should be a 4th liner and probably the 13th F who plays when needed against teams that have predators on them.

Yeah Carkner.

He was underrated as a fighter.

Konopka always fought in the first five minutes so hard to know.
Carkner knew his role and could also play 3LD.
McGrattan knew his role too.
MacEwen apparently does not and is not effective at it anyway.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
.928 for forsberg now ?

Not bad

So has Jenik

Gregor-Gaudette-Jenik??
I don't see Cousins being benched but whichever one they pick, I would think the other one would be the one of the first call-ups in the event of injury or illness. But what do I know? lol

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I remember so many people complaining when he was picked 7th overall. Guess Staois and Co. knew what they were doing 😉
I don't think anybody thought he's a bust of Tyler Boucher proportions, it's just that he carried out some risk. He was a 1st rounder even in the eyes of people who didn't like him. The other defensemen drafted after him (Buium, Parekh, Silayev, Dickinson) may also work out just as well as he is. And of course it is too early to draw any conclusion about anyone.

Personally, I didn't know much about most of these prospects. I just liked Parekh based on whatever I read or videos I watched.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
He also kept going on about us having a "tandem" that will need to split games.... naaaaa man, Ulllmark is a clear 1A goalie Forsberg is the definitation of a 2B goalie.
Possibly 2C if he keeps letting in softies 🤣. Guess Noodles didn't hear the interview after the trade where Ullmark said he wanted to be a starter. And Sens need a true starter for a change. So looking forward to this season with him in net.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Reminds me a bit of torterelli I guess he gets tired of being asked same question 5 different way lol
If he could be a commentary like Torts, that'd be awesome. He's the only coach of another team that I like to hear from. Honest, rude when he has to be, especially when asked dumb questions.

I know people like her because she's pretty, but I don't find her a particularly good reporter or interviewer.

Add to her gotcha tweet on Batherson last season asking about the WJC sexual assault trying to imply he was one of the guys, I'm not sure she's deserving of any extra respect, especially when she asks a dumb question.
I preferred Brent Wallace to be honest.

Reactions: Cosmix

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Story underneath a story type thing.

The Matlock reboot already showed it's hand and it seems like an interesting twist.
If we're talking about new shows, I really liked Brilliant Minds. Made me think of The Good Doctor meets House.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Nice interview with Nick Jensen. I like how he has played tonight. Looks faster than I was led to believe by the Washington fans. Plays D very well.
Some Washington fans said when he was paired with a good D, he was great. But when he was paired with a D who struggled. he wasn't any good. Maybe he's one of those players who tries to do too much in those situations? I've liked him so far, big improvement over Chychrun IMO.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I'm not enamored with our breakout.

It's better than DJ's just bomb the zone and hope, but it still feels like our forwards have no idea how to support the D and get into an open passing lane.
Hopefully they just need more time to break 5 years of bad habits.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pre-season is irrelevant, they were or he was showing the league that if you screw with their team he will come after you & he is one of if not the toughest & best fighters in the NHL. Whether people care to believe it or not their is intimidation in hockey when a guy that big & that good fighter makes these threats there are not many who will stand up to him & will avoid to anything that could attract his anger. We need Chara.

The refs stopped that from happening as they often do, I don't think he would have any trouble dropping the gloves with Brady, he has fought lots of NHL tough guys. It's not in Ottawa's interest to lose Brady fighting a guy like that especially in preseason which is why Ott needs someone else to do that which IMO they still lack. That is suppose to be MacEwan's job, but he has proven he's not that good at it & he would likely take a beating fighting Xhekaj.
I get what you’re saying, but most guys on our team aren’t intimidated by him at all.

Even pinto was fine making a big hit with seconds to go, with Xhekaj just feet away, because it’s just not intimidating.

Same thing goes with Reeves. You never have to fight him, so he’s not a factor. What is a factor are big bruising hits to hurt, and he can do that sometimes.

I agree that he wasn’t afraid of Brady, but he also knew that he was vulnerable and Brady was pissed and in a mood to hurt him, so covering up made sense.

The biggest thing is that he has to be able to play a real shift, and be a hitting threat, not a threat to take a 5 and a game.

I would love a guy like Neil, like we all would, but I’m happy with a guy like Ostapchuk who will fight anyone, and Kleven who has recently shown he’s step up. Throw Brady in the mix who will fight when it suits him no matter what we want, and I think we have heavy fighting covered.

What we need are guys who love to hit, and mix it up, who will go when things get hot with other mid guys. Fisher and Smith types that are fine to match up, or back up hits.

I don’t think we’re as soft as some think we are, but I think we played a bit like that last year (may come with a lack of confidence). This year Perron, Cousins, and Grieg, are going to make sure that the rest of the boys have to engage.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
The last guy we’ve had who actually won fights is Brian McGrattan.

All that matters is someone going off the ice that we don’t miss.
Not sure why you've forgotten about Matt Carkner but that's just not true. Kassian, Carkner and Neil all won more fights than they lost and they were all here after McGrattan.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kassian, Carkner and Neil all won more fights than they lost and they were all here after McGrattan.

Kassian played less than 50 games and Carkner, while memorable, only played two season’s worth.

Pretty small sample sizes here.

Fighters are so interchangeable (aside from Neil) that we rarely commit to any of them.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Pinto looked a bit lighter but also looked like he got leg upgrades. Was flying out there.

Maybe a bit better skater in some ways but fisher could fly too. He could go end to end like Crosby when he was feeling it. Just couldn’t finish. Pinto can finish. Biggest difference. Fish was also one of the strongest guys in the league and could take on just about anyone if needed. Elite physicality.
I am well aware of Fisher's skating. He was fast in a straight line. But i think that Pinto is all around a better skater and likely faster than Fisher. Pinto also has hands. Fisher is better physically, but I don't think he's as smart as Pinto. He doesn't have Pinto's hockey sense.

After the 2007 playoff run, I bought a Fisher jersey. That has to tell you a little bit about how I appreciated him as a player.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Kassian played less than 50 games and Carkner, while memorable, only played two season’s worth.

Pretty small sample sizes here.

Fighters are so interchangeable (aside from Neil) that we rarely commit to any of them.
Carkner played 3 seasons here and was a top-10 heavyweight from the time he entered the league, not sure why you're trying to diminish his efforts here. 3 seasons and 50 regular season fights isn't a small sample size at all.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Carkner played 3 seasons here and was a top-10 heavyweight from the time he entered the league, not sure why you're trying to diminish his efforts here. 3 seasons and 50 regular season fights isn't a small sample size at all.

I literally posted about Carkner in this thread after the post you quoted.

....Are you Matt Carkner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad