GDT: Senators' Final Preseason Weekend | Wings 'n' Habs | Friday and Saturday, 7PM

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I pvrd the game. Pinto looks great.

I have to say that 1st goal by Montreal was beyond bad from Batherson. That's green jacket batherson. He gets back to playing like that and all the work he put in last year is all for nothing. Horrid turnover, then stopped back checking as the last guy then went behind his net got stuck and scored on. These are habits that's cant be back in his game.

Habs gonna finish 8th IMO
Well.... obviously haha.

It is the correct opinion so therefore it is not bad.
No it's not.

The thinking that Kleven isn’t ready and Erik Brannstrom would be a better option is insane to me.
It's absurd. People must not be paying attention to the type of team Staios is very deliberately putting together.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Branny is fine until Kleven gets some more seasoning. Kleven has more upside but he could use another 30 games. It’s not a slight against Kleven but it’s the old survive vs thrive argument
Brannstrom isn't a shut down d man. There's a reason he signed for 900 k and is gonna get cut. Want nothing to do with him here in a pk and shut down role. Rather play Sebrango.

Unless you want all three of Ostapchuk, Jenik, and Gaudette, I think he's been one of our best 13 fwds.

He kills penalties too, but I don't think he's a lock to be in the starting lineup,
Absolute lock to make this team. A he's been good. B He's a pk guy. C He's on a one way and they signed him first day of free agency.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ideally he’d play a half season in Belleville but he’s good enough now, hope it doesn’t stunt his development
He looks better the more structure there is. Like all defensive d men. He was great last year when he was called up and there was more predictable play. He's not a pond hockey player. He holds the blue and he's long.

Amadio has such a great stick. Reminds me of a poor man's Mark Stone. What a smart player.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Honestly even though the team let off the gas in the third, and both teams were obviously missing their big players, these two clubs look like they're in different leagues. Sens look primed to contend for a playoff spot, Habs look primed to contend for last in the league.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Sorry dude Staios is building a team that is bigger, heavy and hard to play against from the net out. It may not be how you like it but it's going to give them a chance to win.

Contrary to what you may believe, I actually like size. Just not size for size's sake, which is often what size queens are guilty of.

I want Kleven to succeed, but he's not there yet. I'd rather have someone with more experience on the third pair(and I'm not talking about Hamonic lol).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Contrary to what you may believe, I actually like size. Just not size for size's sake, which is often what size queens are guilty of.

I want Kleven to succeed, but he's not there yet. I'd rather have someone with more experience on the third pair(and I'm not talking about Hamonic lol).
Lol ok man.... You love small players specifically ones that are slow. You don't win with those players.

By repeating 'size queen' and thinking it's proving anything without any context isn't getting you anywhere.

I don't mind having a small player if they are an amazing skater and compete for pucks or have electrifying skill. But mediocre players or even replacement level i have no time for and neither do any teams that win anything.

You didn't like the Yakemchuk pick either....

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

What about Kleven is not there yet?

He was a stud in Belleville last year, and he’s been good in camp this year.

Is he perfect? No. But it’s not because of any physical trait (he doesn’t need to get bigger or improve his skating), it’s because sometimes he doesn’t make the right read or is too tentative.

All of that can improve as he gets more games under his belt on the third pairing. Confidence, NHL coaching, learning the tendencies of his teammates… all of that matters.

It’s never a binary situation with young defenseman. You don’t play in the AHL until all of a sudden your game is perfectly polished and ready for the NHL. You develop in the NHL as well.

If Kleven is struggling 10-15 games in? I’m sure Staios will start looking at options.

But now? No reason to.

And Brannstrom, specifically, is in no way a better option.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Why are we assuming he's going to get waived?
Toews, Makar, Girard and Manson are locked in as their top-4. Sam Malinski has had a really strong camp and seems to have lokced down the third RD spot. They claimed John Ludwig on waivers today to add a more physical element to a really small and soft blueline.

They aren't going to carry 9D, so that leaves Brannstrom battling with Calvin deHaan and Oliver Kylington for 1 or maybe 2 spots. By all accounts he's had a pretty poor camp for them, so he's definitely in danger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad