GDT: Senators' Final Preseason Weekend | Wings 'n' Habs | Friday and Saturday, 7PM

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gaudette has earned a spot to start. It’s nice to be able to send the Big O down to start. Depth is so much better.
I think Ostapchuk is better served development wise by getting more AHL time, but he does add an element we otherwise lack.

Gaudette had a great camp, but I'm not sure he fits in on the 4th line, so keeping him up would be as that 13th fwd, which isn't all bad.

Reactions: Icelevel

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Never say never & it ain't over until it's over. Great come back by the Sens tonight from mostly an AHL team.

Seven Young Guys who have impressed me during the preseason:
Yakemchuk - has showed an impressive skillset & IQ & seems to have a knack of collecting pts. Still needs to return to junior IMO, but he definitely has earned a few NHL games.

Ostapchuk - will likely start the season in Belleville, but has clearly shown his speed, his rugged play, good defensively & hard to play against, hits & we know can drop the gloves, he's almost ready.

Boucher - is faster than expected, seems to be regaining his confidence, has an NHL wrist shot, seems to handle the puck well & can make plays, is another wide body who can wear down opposition players.

Halliday - another guy who is close & really just need a few more reps, a little more experience in the AHL & put on a little more muscle.

Kleven - both Kleven & JBD are not flashy, just steady & solid, both have been very good defensively.

Greig - he's been great during these preseason games getting under the other team's skin & he looks poised to have a good yr on the PK & hopefully an addition of pts.
Ostapchuk needs more development; he is not yet tough and physical enough to play at the NHL level. Hopefully they can coach that into him in the AHL.

Halliday has moments but not enough of them; he needs more time too and I am not certain that he will do it.

Boucher needs more time; hopefully he does not get injured again.

Kleven needs to up his physical game and use his big body to punish opposing Fs.

JBD stepped up to knock Debrincat down; he did do that sort of thing once or twice last season. He has to do it more often to keep his job. Yak has taken his spot.

JBD has been quite good. I’m interested to hear what you don’t like
He is not physical in front of the net. He does not carry the puck well. He does not hit much. He is very replaceable. In fact our young Yak has outplayed him. JBD just is not good enough.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Ostapchuk needs more development; he is not yet tough and physical enough to play at the NHL level. Hopefully they can coach that into him in the AHL.

Halliday has moments but not enough of them; he needs more time too and I am not certain that he will do it.

Kleven needs to up his physical game and use his big body to punish opposing Fs.

JBD stepped up to knock Debrincat down; he did do that sort of thing once or twice last season. He has to do it more often to keep his job. Yak has taken his spot.

JBD dropped Kane with a crosscheck as well. He has added a bit of bite to his game. I'm sure he has been told he needs to in order to stick as a bottom pairing guy.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

He is not physical in front of the net. He does not carry the puck well. He does not hit much. He is very replaceable. In fact our young Yak has outplayed him. JBD just is not good enough.
Yak is better but keeping Yak past 9 games is a terrible idea. I want Yak to be develop into a top pair D not just wind up a a decent D.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Id go with Phaneuf coming into the NHL as a decent comparable...though Phaneuf was more known for mega monster hits....

Or maybe Bryan McCabe...or Brent burns...or Sheldon souray when he was good...but yak has better hands. Or a Darnell Nurse but with more offense..

Basically, a big body who can play physical, has a good shot and good offensive instincts and skills...also good defensively, though not excellent.
I want to see Yak develop his physical play; he has the size. Imagine if he would step up to hit the Fs entering the D Zone like Scott Stevens used to do. Then imagine Kleven doing the same. That would be a solid physical defense that other teams would fear to play against. I hope the coaching staff sees the possibilities and coaches those two to play that sort of game.

Yes, I saw him do that behind the play. I did not see it clearly but thought it might have been a penalty. I don't think it was called. Don';t know the reason why. If JBD would play a more physical style of game I could warm up to him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I want to see Yak develop his physical play; he has the size. Imagine if he would step up to hit the Fs entering the D Zone like Scott Stevens used to do. Then imagine Kleven doing the same. That would be a solid physical defense that other teams would fear to play against. I hope the coaching staff sees the possibilities and coaches those two to play that sort of game.

Yes, I saw him do that behind the play. I did not see it clearly but thought it might have been a penalty. I don't think it was called. Don';t know the reason why. If JBD would play a more physical style of game I could warm up to him.
lol, if anyone hits like Scott Stevens they will be suspended for at least 10 games.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I hope we dress our opening night lineup tonight and run up the score as much as possible. Stay focused on getting in mid-season form as soon as possible. If the Habs want to goon it up instead of working on improving their play, let them sit in the box while we keep scoring on the PP like we did last time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hope we dress our opening night lineup tonight and run up the score as much as possible. Stay focused on getting in mid-season form as soon as possible. If the Habs want to goon it up instead of working on improving their play, let them sit in the box while we keep scoring on the PP like we did last time.
If anyone has anything minor they shouldn't play from an injury standpoint.

Stutzle, chabot, tkachuk, zub come to mind.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Not happening.

Honestly though it kinda sucks to do this last minute when fans probably expected a better roster against the Habs. This game of chicken both coaches have been playing this week comes at the expense of the fans paying good money.

It was obvious to me they were not gonna play Tkachuk and Stutzle with how rough the games have been against Mtl, so why pull this last minute shit?

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

Not happening.

Honestly though it kinda sucks to do this last minute when fans probably expected a better roster against the Habs. This game of chicken both coaches have been playing this week comes at the expense of the fans paying good money.

It was obvious to me they were not gonna play Tkachuk and Stutzle with how rough the games have been against Mtl, so why pull this last minute shit?

Well they play Montreal next Saturday in game 2 of the regular season.

How much are pre-season tickets tho?

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
That made me hungry for fired chicken!
Preview of tonight's game:

1000002038.gif

Reactions: Cosmix

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Green is always like this. He will rub people wrong away in no time.

The best development for D is only in NHL - if you have size, pace and D skills. Yak has it all. Now is the time to learn the league, players, how to pivot correctly with a skating coach, how to do a correct gap control, do reverse, first pass - against the best. Nothing of the sort, he will learn at junior level or in AHL. D do not play first years in the league after the draft, because they still need three essential skills, Yak has them already

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Not going to risk injuries to key players against those morons in preseason nope

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Just watch pregame does anybody else think Green is rude and condescending to the press?
Yes and I love it.

Green is always like this. He will rub people wrong away in no time.

The best development for D is only in NHL - if you have size, pace and D skills. Yak has it all. Now is the time to learn the league, players, how to pivot correctly with a skating coach, how to do a correct gap control, do reverse, first pass - against the best. Nothing of the sort, he will learn at junior level or in AHL. D do not play first years in the league after the draft, because they still need three essential skills, Yak has them already
Do you tire of being wrong.

Reactions: Icelevel

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Not happening.

It's a pre season game. Why would they risk it?...

Just watch pregame does anybody else think Green is rude and condescending to the press?
No he's doing his job. He isn't here to be a cheer leader.

We'll see if you love it quite as much if we start losing and he's still out there being a grump.
Why does this matter?

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
Just that he seems to treat all there questions like there stupid or something arrogant responses I do realize they ask odd questions but towards Hanna he is downright rude and it just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad