GDT: Senators' Final Preseason Weekend | Wings 'n' Habs | Friday and Saturday, 7PM

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Was that the best we’ve seen Boucher play?

It wasnt that special of a game but I think the first time we saw a flash of anything from him. He has missed a lot of development if he misses any more major amount of time, its best to write him off.

However if he stays healthy I think he has a good enough head and toolset to carve out a career as an effective bottom 6 player.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Glad to see Yak is playing well and ripping it up offensively, but still some elements for him to work on. He made a diving play trying to skate back on Kasper that missed which gave open breakaway and almost made it 3-0.

Hope he gets some games to start the season, but think it would be beneficial for another year down at least.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Was that the best we’ve seen Boucher play?

I think every single mistake ending up in the back of your net skewed perception

It wasnt that special of a game but I think the first time we saw a flash of anything from him. He has missed a lot of development if he misses any more major amount of time, its best to write him off.

However if he stays healthy I think he has a good enough head and toolset to carve out a career as an effective bottom 6 player.
Honestly if Boucher can be a responsible third liner with jam, I will be absolutely stoked at this point haha.

As far as chychrun goes he's a fine option to have as an offensive defenseman. He isn't great defensively, has loads of brain farts and doesn't use his size as much as you want.

He just wasn't effective on his offside, and there wasn't room for him on the team with Chabot and Sanderson. Isn't worth what dorion gave up to get him

Jensen already looks like a much better fit given thr construction of this blue line

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In fairness, most of the people in that league are not of NHL quality

I feel like that was more and more of an issue the further you go back in time. Its part of how the star players dominated so much...along with crappy stand up goalies of course.

The game is getting better and better where every decade, the difference in skill and ability between a first line player and a 4th line player is shrinking. Of course at the highest level, those tiny differences can become noticeable over the course of a full season. Less so over the course of individual games.

Heck, you could go see an AHL practice and a top scorer like Gaudette might look a lot better than a guy like hamonic at an NHL practice.

Different roles, but clearly Gaudette is way more skilled at things like skating, stick handling, passing, shooting, etc. than hamonic.

But one will probably make a million or two over his career while the other will make like 20 million over his career.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I meant more so his offensive game, well his shot. He actually has a better feel for his offensive instincts such as the fake to slide the puck down to the half wall.

Chychs defensive game was horrible and he never won pick battles for a guy his size which was odd. I do believe Yak is more willing to use his size so probably not the best comparison haha.

Id go with Phaneuf coming into the NHL as a decent comparable...though Phaneuf was more known for mega monster hits....

Or maybe Bryan McCabe...or Brent burns...or Sheldon souray when he was good...but yak has better hands. Or a Darnell Nurse but with more offense..

Basically, a big body who can play physical, has a good shot and good offensive instincts and skills...also good defensively, though not excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: StutzlingAway
Oct 10, 2010
Nice to have 4 lines that can all score Gregor, Cousins and Jenik all capable assuming that’s how it ends up going will be a very solid 4th as well!

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Yakemchuk was our best player last night
I thought Kleven was good. I'd like to see him be more of a leader, the way Yak is. Hopefully it comes with confidence.
I saw flashes of speed and physicality from Boucher but not enough.
Disappointed in Crookshank. He hasn't brought much to the preseason. I thought he'd come much more determined.
Gaudette is frustrating; he's capable of scoring crucial goals but 95% of the time, he's overmatched at the NHL level.
I can't decide if Forsberg had a good game or not. Parts of the game I thought he was rock solid. Other parts, he looked like last year's Forsberg.
Gregor was the hero of the night. Great to see him show some leadership.

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Id go with Phaneuf coming into the NHL as a decent comparable...though Phaneuf was more known for mega monster hits....

Or maybe Bryan McCabe...or Brent burns...or Sheldon souray when he was good...but yak has better hands. Or a Darnell Nurse but with more offense..

Basically, a big body who can play physical, has a good shot and good offensive instincts and skills...also good defensively, though not excellent.
I seen some clips last night where they were highlighting his defensive instincts too step up on forwards and knowing how he needs to break the puck out of the zone through various situations. Hopefully his defensive woes are more due to skating issues than ability to defend with his IQ and awareness. It's refreshing seeing someone like Sanderson who knows how to just defend consistently and chip in offensively. We've had way too many defencemen who are great offensively yet poor defensively, which is more counterproductive than people tend to realize. I would rather have a defenceman be a plus player than minus.

Mars

Mar 22, 2009
Ottawa
YES! This bugged the sh!t out of me as well.

"They will compete for the net"

No dude, Ullmark is a special goalie in the league right now. Forsberg is a good teammate who you hope has a good season.

He is the dedicated Sens colour guy and he is clueless.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think our roster to start the season will be:

Brady
Stu
Giroux
Batherson
Norris
Greig
Pinto
Perron
Amadio
Jenik
Gregor
Cousins
Gaudette

Chabot
Sanderson
Zub
Jensen
Kleven
JBD
Hamonic
Yak

Ullmark
Forsberg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think our roster to start the season will be:

Brady
Stu
Giroux
Batherson
Norris
Greig
Pinto
Perron
Amadio
Jenik
Gregor
Cousins
Gaudette

Chabot
Sanderson
Zub
Jensen
Kleven
JBD
Hamonic
Yak

Ullmark
Forsberg
I'd be happy with that, Ostapchuk might make sense over Gaudette because he adds some physical play and willingness to drop the gloves that Gaudette does not

With MacEwen seemingly no longer willing to play that role, Ostapchuk might be more valued.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'd be happy with that, Ostapchuk might make sense over Gaudette because he adds some physical play and willingness to drop the gloves that Gaudette does not

With MacEwen seemingly no longer willing to play that role, Ostapchuk might be more valued.
Gaudette has earned a spot to start. It’s nice to be able to send the Big O down to start. Depth is so much better.

Reactions: Dionysus and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Btw, Sens have tried Kleven-Yak together out there and they've looked really solid and towering.

Yak's decision making and passing ability make him a threat even with minimal ice-time. I could see him making it really tough for us to send him down even with Zub healthy.

Hamonic's revived play this pre-season might make it easier for us to send Yak down because Yak's clearly a step better than JBD.
JBD better step up his game because he is almost playing himself off the team back to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad