GDT: Senators' Final Preseason Weekend | Wings 'n' Habs | Friday and Saturday, 7PM

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Only watched OT but a win is nice even though it's just pre-season. Curious to see how the team would fair in the regular season without Tkachuk, Stutzle and Chabot in the line-up for an entire game.:laugh:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Red Winhs fan checking in. I didn’t watch the game but I’m pumped to see sebrango scored for you guys.

How has he developed since moving over to Ottawa?

Has been kinda underrated this camp, and for the first time kinda see an NHL future for him.

Lowkey kinda liked him more than Klevin.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am only halfway through the game. The Senators are losing 2-0, Crooker just left the game with a non-contact injury (that poor SOB), but Noodles is bothering me more than anything.

He is talking about what a bad play Yakemchuk made after the deflected fly-ball pass got past him on PP and he made a desperation dive. I would like him to keep his feet, but it seems he knew he couldn't get to it so tried to sweep it away. Either way, he was screwed by the deflected pass.

The he is talking about DeBrincat and how he "took a while to settle in" to Detroit. The guy was on a heater to start the season and then cooled off a ton.

Rant mostly over, but this guy bugs me more and more each year.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I am only halfway through the game. The Senators are losing 2-0, Crooker just left the game with a non-contact injury (that poor SOB), but Noodles is bothering me more than anything.

He is talking about what a bad play Yakemchuk made after the deflected fly-ball pass got past him on PP and he made a desperation dive. I would like him to keep his feet, but it seems he knew he couldn't get to it so tried to sweep it away. Either way, he was screwed by the deflected pass.

The he is talking about DeBrincat and how he "took a while to settle in" to Detroit. The guy was on a heater to start the season and then cooled off a ton.

He also kept going on about us having a "tandem" that will need to split games.... naaaaa man, Ulllmark is a clear 1A goalie Forsberg is the definitation of a 2B goalie.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Man yak is the definition of a star. Not really too noticeable, then bang, back to back assists on the tying and winning goals

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Games only 2 periods done but I have been watching intently and some observations:

Yak is the real deal. What I've been most impressed is his IQ and first pass. Just tremendous weight and timing on his passes. Whoever will flank him on the PP will score a lot of goals because he fakes the shot and drops off a perfect pass sublimly. Hasn't looked out of place defensively at all.

Kleven is going to be a difference for us--in the sense that he will be a key in our identity. Looks like a veteran out there.

JBD has impressed. A step below Yak, though, no doubt.

You can see the potential in Halliday. Needs another season in AHL and I feel this time next year he'll be raising some eyebrows.

I think Jenik's has that last roster spot locked up. His line is contiously a threat with Reinhardt and Gregor. Rein is also impressing and will definitely get games. He has impressed consistently in his showings in pre-season. Jenik provides a bit of everything and has that pesty attitude that will fit very well with Gregor and Cousins. It'll be a great and dependable line for us. I see Cole possibly pushing Jenik out if his skating doesn't keep him up.

I don't see the issue with Boucher.. at all. He hasn't stood out, if you expect a top 6, but he's been very, very solid in the fundementals. His passes have been crisp, his decision making solid, and he has been as fluid as any player out there. If he continues to play like that and progresses a bit, he'll have a bottom 6 NHL career.

Not impressed with my boy Crookshank. Don't think he'll have a shot here with Janik and Ostap ahead of him and now Cole Reinhardt as well.

Defense has been the story for us this game, though, with Kleven, Yak, JBD and--towards latter half--Addison being the most notable players for us.

We are shot for depth offensively. We need to replish the cupboards.
Great points all around. I really agree with these takes. I feel as though Halliday just needs to figure out his timing at a higher pace, I definitely see potential for an effective bottom forward with good decision making and soft hands.

I also haven't seen Boucher stand out but he does alot of those little things well. He seems to float into the middle of the ice and make nice bump passes to his support players. He just needs to stay healthy but I can see him possibly being a depth forward in the future. Don't see any high end 10th OA skill but that's alright at this point.

I like Jeniks edit a fourth line role, I believe he is the one that will make it. Gaudette has been great but I'm not sure if his value as a scorer is what's needed over a forechecking pesky C who can chip in here and there.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He also kept going on about us having a "tandem" that will need to split games.... naaaaa man, Ulllmark is a clear 1A goalie Forsberg is the definitation of a 2B goalie.
YES! This bugged the sh!t out of me as well.

"They will compete for the net"

No dude, Ullmark is a special goalie in the league right now. Forsberg is a good teammate who you hope has a good season.

He is the dedicated Sens colour guy and he is clueless.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I was pleasantly surprised to see JBD getting under everyone’s skin in such a low key way. I have to keep an eye on him more to see what he does. He seems to calm all the time and yet there was Kane cursing him from the bench like jilted lover…. And that wasn’t the first time in the game….

He never had a big ceiling but I’m glad to hear he is still making the most of his career path. He was always a very likeable guy.
He stood in there and fought Reeves too when we played the leafs. Fearless kid to boot. Gotta respect that.

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Once Yakemchuk develops his skating and lower body strength, he's a lock for top 4. He reminds me of a better version of Chychrun 😉

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Once Yakemchuk develops his skating and lower body strength, he's a lock for top 4. He reminds me of a better version of Chychrun 😉
Ewww, Chychrun shied away from contact and lead with his stick in all defensive situations. Played the whole 82 though….

Honestly was very disappointed last season, I hope Yak is nothing like him.

Reactions: BigRig4

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Ewww, Chychrun shied away from contact and lead with his stick in all defensive situations. Played the whole 82 though….

Honestly was very disappointed last season, I hope Yak is nothing like him.
I meant more so his offensive game, well his shot. He actually has a better feel for his offensive instincts such as the fake to slide the puck down to the half wall.

Chychs defensive game was horrible and he never won pick battles for a guy his size which was odd. I do believe Yak is more willing to use his size so probably not the best comparison haha.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Wow Yak... I'm falling deeply in love.

I'm trying to find a good comparable for him but it's not easy because he's so unique.

Maybe some kind of mix between Bouchard/Doughty?

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Red Winhs fan checking in. I didn’t watch the game but I’m pumped to see sebrango scored for you guys.

How has he developed since moving over to Ottawa?
Sebrango's stock has increased since coming here. Last year he worked his way into the Belleville lineup and played steady enough and was as tough as advertised. He made a minor impression in the A enough to suggest he was worth keeping a bit of an eye on.

This year in preseason he has exceeded expectations with two significant goals- both heavy, labeled one timers that he has stepped into at the left side of the low point/high slot. Somewhat right place right time goals but they were bombs that make you wonder about his instincts and that maybe there's some occasional offence there.

He stepped up against Reaves after a borderline hit and didn't look great but answered the bell without a second thought. Other than that he has been somewhat physical in his games but nothing really noteworthy.

Defensively he has been passable to good. Nothing overly noticeable but in a good way. Tonight he made an awkward last ditch dive play but that was one of the first times he stood out as a negative defensively. He hasn't had many tough matchups but he has been better than neutral in the minutes he has played.

All and all he is playing with the kind of attitude you want from a young defenceman and is getting noticed for some good and almost nothing bad. Nobody would be pencilling him in for next year or anything like that but his stock as an outside chance, tough, stay at home, perhaps utility type D is rising slowly.

For some reason Brendan Witt as a comparable at absolute best is in my head.

Reactions: mysens

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wonder how many of the people who hated the pick watched even a single Calgary Hitmen game last season.
I was fine with the pick but let’s not pretend this was predicted this soon. He wasn’t very good at the World Junior camp a couple months ago.

I think all the posters who hated the pick have already said they were wrong. Let’s not get into another years long “I was right, you were wrong” issue.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

I noticed the DeBrincat thing too.

I like play by play guys that actually call the game, not have a chat about all things hockey while the game is playing. But maybe that’s just me. We get the opposite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad