GDT: Senators @ Avalanche | Nov. 25th - 7:30 PM MT | Home Sweet Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Roy definitely the most critical of Varly that I've ever seen him. He knows there's other problems with this team, but the difference is he knows the D as it is, is only capable of playing so well. Varly on the other hand is capable of playing as one of the best goalies in the entire league. That's why he's pressuring him right now.

He's had a history of being tough on his goalies in junior, and it's getting to that point right now. He's been critical of Berra lately too so it's not just Varly. IMO it's warranted. It's a position that can make a difference more than any other in hockey, especially for a team with a weak defense like the Avs, and Roy knows it.

There's other problems with this Avalanche team, but goaltending should not be one of them. Let's jut hope Varly responds well. Then Roy can go back to praising him for stepping up.

[NHL]885230[/NHL]

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A lot of people never got to hear it before commenting on it. :popcorn:

Not everyone has access to internet 24/7.

This was last week whenever Roy made that comment. That's why it makes no sense to bring it here only to have people infer what they want out of it and never get the actual context and then just post angry reactions about something they heard at best secondhand.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
This was last week whenever Roy made that comment. That's why it makes no sense to bring it here only to have people infer what they want out of it and never get the actual context and then just post angry reactions about something they heard at best secondhand.

Oh, I thought we were talking about the recent Roy comments. You can delete my post then. I've had a few drinks haha

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That right there is a big problem with this team. After every loss Roy keeps saying how they did good things out there and im pretty sure that's what he tells his team. He needs to start being strict and criticize more people other than his goalies, how about criticizing the defense?

He keeps making his players feel like they're all playing good they just get unlucky or something. Nothing will fix if he keeps doing that.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Iginla is a liability out there right now. So soft on the puck, and just wanders aimlessly in the defensive zone, putting in very little effort.

Cherry picker extraordinaire. The guy doesn't give 2 "swear words" about back checking. He's a complete floater out there.

Comeau at least brought it physically tonight.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not like Roy to turn on his players, but he's probably under a lot of pressure.

After 2+ years of not throwing the defense under the bus at any point it's weird to turn on Varly.

The defensive coverage was pathetic. Bad tracking and no one having sticks in the shooting lane. If the other team can't throw passes right through the slot, it's easier for the goalie.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's not like Roy to turn on his players, but he's probably under a lot of pressure.

After 2+ years of not throwing the defense under the bus at any point it's weird to turn on Varly.

The defensive coverage was pathetic. Bad tracking and no one having sticks in the shooting lane. If the other team can't throw passes right through the slot, it's easier for the goalie.

Even if they had sticks in the lane they would either lose it, break it or miss it completely. This team as a whole has some of the worse hand eye co-ordination for some reason.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Iginla is a liability out there right now. So soft on the puck, and just wanders aimlessly in the defensive zone, putting in very little effort.
He has retired from anything but shooting.

It started when he became a perimeter player back in Calgary, he just keeps clocking himself out of doing th things you need to do to win games.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That right there is a big problem with this team. After every loss Roy keeps saying how they did good things out there and im pretty sure that's what he tells his team. He needs to start being strict and criticize more people other than his goalies, how about criticizing the defense?

He keeps making his players feel like they're all playing good they just get unlucky or something. Nothing will fix if he keeps doing that.

Yeah that's exactly what he needs to do, just start calling everyone out :shakehead :help:

Big game Saturday night vs Winnipeg, you know the Jets will want revenge and given the way we finished this 3rd period I see no reason why this team can't come out like gangbusters and play pissed off.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is it that strange for a former goalie to think that goalies make a difference and have high expectations for them? The goaltending has been inconsistent.

I think it's partially that, I think he has a high standard for his goaltending, but I truly believe it's more that he knows this D is only capable of playing so well and being super critical of them isn't the right approach to motivate them, where as Varly is capable of being in the Vezina conversation. He's gone out of his way to praise Varly's efforts multiple times in the past, because of how much it impacted the team positively. This is being consistent with that expectation.

It is a dangerous game though no doubt. I think Varly's strong enough to deal with this, but we'll see. That's always been what Roy wants to get out of his goalies when being critical, even going back to junior with the young goalies that didn't take so kindly to his approach. I think they were too young to understand what he was doing.

He wants them to be mentally tough because that's the number one trait of a top goaltender in the NHL. He wants them to respond properly to that challenge, not wilt.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Did Roy and other really expect Varlamov to stay at Vezina level for several years? He is not Lundqvist. He is gonna have a years when he is .920+, but he is also gonna have years where he might be closer to .905. It's just goalie nature.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Well, at least Wagner scored his first ever goal.

Colorado Avalanche: where dreams come true. So much for Disneyland being the place of dreams.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
That was a pretty entertaining game even if the Avs sucked for a lot of it. I wonder if there's a record for number of games in which a team pulls their goalie and scores, but still doesn't make it to OT?

Also, we outshot the opposition 2 games in a row. That doesn't happen very often.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We need to show our guys more love.

Waiver Wagner should get his 1st career goal thread on the main board like everyone else

(I don't have the abilities)

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Roy rags on Varly because he doesn't know what else to do and at least has instant credibility there. The man is plainly out of ideas.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Did Roy and other really expect Varlamov to stay at Vezina level for several years? He is not Lundqvist. He is gonna have a years when he is .920+, but he is also gonna have years where he might be closer to .905. It's just goalie nature.

No it's not ok to just have .905 goaltending or to expect it. Yes goalies have ups and downs but performance like that is not normal variance. Varly seeing .905 right now would be an improvement.

It's funny y'all wanted him to cut out the partner crap and get angry but I guess when it's not calling out who you'd call out it's not ok.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Yes, keep making Varly out to be an inconsistent goaltender (so long as it fits your narrative).

Even last year when we could all see that he wasn't quite as good as 13-14, he was still a .921 SV% goalie (all while having some issues with his groin). I think Roy expects his Vezina-caliber goaltender to play like a Vezina-caliber goaltender. Varlamov is rocking a .890 SV% right now, and seems like he's letting in at least one goal in every game he plays where we all say/think "Man, I bet he'd like another crack at that one" or "Damn...that was a soft goal". You're saying that Roy isn't allowed to say that his goaltender, who is clearly better than that, needs to be better than that?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Varly doesn't have to be .920 but he needs to be better. He's cost us points with his play. I get that goaltending is hard and they arguably have the most pressure but he needs a wakeup call and needs to be more engaged.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Varly needs to be better but the timing of this by Roy is ridiculous. He's coming off an injury where he played stellar in his first game back and now after ONE bad goal in the next game he throws him under the bus.

He made some nasty saves yesterday but the defence was no where to be found. The sens passed the puck without any difficulty, it was really peewee level defence. To blame the goalie is just sad and desperate much like his goalie pull.

Due Varly and the rest of the avs a favour and quit.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly needs to be better but the timing of this by Roy is ridiculous. He's coming off an injury where he played stellar in his first game back and now after ONE bad goal in the next game he throws him under the bus.

He made some nasty saves yesterday but the defence was no where to be found. The sens passed the puck without any difficulty, it was really peewee level defence. To blame the goalie is just sad and desperate much like his goalie pull.

You really find everything to blame on Roy don't you. Varly hasn't been good all year. He wasn't stellar last game, was just good. He didn't face that much action. One game where he meets expectations is not enough. He's healthy right now, and already has one game under his belt, so that's not an excuse. He's got to make the stops he's supposed to make, and he's got to make some big stops when his team gives up a good scoring chance. That's what he's capable of and he hasn't done that all year really.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

It really can't be disputed that Varly has given up a questionable goal (or more) in nearly every game he's played in this year. Roy saying he needs to be better is the truth, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad