Senators and National Capital Commission have reached an agreement for a new arena at LeBreton Flats

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You think the existing infrastructure will be what is used for access when all is done?
Unless they start tearing down brand new apartment complexs and lrt stops, then no the infrastructure around lebreton will not be changing enough to loosen up the traffic congestion around the area.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unless they start tearing down brand new apartment complexs and lrt stops, then no the infrastructure around lebreton will not be changing enough to loosen up the traffic congestion around the area.
So having the club play in Kanata, logistically, is better?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So having the club play in Kanata, logistically, is better?
Traffic wise it will be the same, but like others have said it is closer to existing entertainment outside of the game itself and if the plans haven't changed much from previous talks about a new arena this one will also be built around and with it like the new td place complex was done.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
I know a lot of people like to dunk on the LRT and the hate was deserved but for the better part of the last year and a half or so, the reliability is much improved. they fixed a huge issue that was main cause of the many shutdowns. The main issue atm is the busses that don't show up or are constantly late but that's a whole other issue. It's not close to perfect by any means, still very slow but I would take the current system as is without the upcoming extension to get to the new arena than have to drive to the CTC. With the extension, it will be amazing to park a Trim or place d'orleans and then hop on the train to the arena. Cant wait

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Was already reachable.

To transit to the current arena, I transfer three times. At the future arena I transfer once.

Line 1 and 2 both have stops at LeBreton, putting most of the city one transfer away from the arena. This should result in a reduction of total car traffic. Additionally, people will be leaving games in all four directions rather than mostly east. This will reduce congestion.

Last edited:

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
The LRT has been able to handle the bluesfest crowds for the last couple years. And for the arena, line 2 will handle those coming from the south, line 1 from west to Bayview and line 1 from east to Pimisi. 3 platforms to deal wth each direction.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The LRT has been able to handle the bluesfest crowds for the last couple years. And for the arena, line 2 will handle those coming from the south, line 1 from west to Bayview and line 1 from east to Pimisi. 3 platforms to deal wth each direction.
Hopefully the stations are not closed like Bluesfest.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If you think the problem is distance alone, you'd be wrong. The problem with the CTC is mostly it being in what feels like the middle of nowhere, and not the actual distance travelled.

The thought for many people near the end of a game is "let's get our of here before we're stuck in traffic". Having it downtown enables the "let's continue the night elsewhere" option. Even if someone goes home, just having what feels like an option to walk somewhere to extend the night, will make the entire experience more enjoyable.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
And even then they handled the crowds fine. The city knows that the LRT is key for this, they will make sure that its reliable, like the OC busses for Redblacks games. It's about the only positive i can give the bus service as a whole, its super easy and convenient for Redblacks games.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I think it's Canada Day that the station closes.

Last summer after the Foo Fighters at Blues Fest, I left and got on the LRT at Pimisi. It was open, and it didn't take too long to be on the train, on my way. There were 35,000 people, double the size of a hockey crowd. Of course, it was summer, so some people were biking and walking.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
Bwaaaaaahhhhhh..... It's been five long years and it's still a joke. The only thing the city can make sure of is their developer friends getting what they want.
I know its fun to dunk on it but the actual train is miles better than what it was at launch. Its nowhere near perfect (still really slow) but the reliability of the train isn't really an issue anymore... Busses on the other hand...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hope the shovels hit the dirt quickly. I was legitimately shocked the first time I found out just far away their arena is from the center of their fanbase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad