Senators and National Capital Commission have reached an agreement for a new arena at LeBreton Flats

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
i was in ottawa for work yesterday and drove right by the site...it's a fine location.

kanata is asinine. who in their right mind thought that was a good idea?
Original owners. It was always about a larger land rezoning scheme.

The site was part of a "green belt" and the Arena was the catalyst to get a huge amount of addition land rezoned for development. Lots of money was made.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Great location! I lived in Ottawa in the 90s and went to two or three early Sens games at what was then (I think) the 'Corel Centre'. Nice arena, but in nowheresville. This new joint should be great for fans and surrounding business.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
About damn time. That land was horribly wasted for the last 10+ years. I'm happy for Sens fans that don't need to make the long trip to Kanata anymore. Driving was horrible. The bus wasn't great, but actually faster to take the bus than wait 30+ min to leave the parking lot.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
oakville and markham same old suburb whatever....shit...imagine the leafs playing in ajax!
Still floundering, and even worse lol.
That’s 49km. You’re not even trying to be accurate.
Use google maps next time or something.
Give up mate, I posted the actual comparison, using a map tool.
Up the Don Valley until it joins the 401.

What will you try next Barrie?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Still floundering, and even worse lol.
That’s 49km. You’re not even trying to be accurate.
Use google maps next time or something.
Give up mate, I posted the actual comparison, using a map tool.
Up the Don Valley until it joins the 401.

What will you try next Barrie?

you didnt even quote the whole post

....and goodbye

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
more like up to the 407 but the idea is the arena is still 27 km away from the downtown area where people can get to easily and enjoy the city.

oakville and markham same old suburb whatever....shit...imagine the leafs playing in ajax!

another point is im guessing 27km of travel takes longer than in ottawa.
Never been to downtown ottawa have you? Ottawa downtown is a nightmare to dive on the least busy of days, adding in 18k people leaving going all in different directions and it's going to be a year to get out of the area.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Quite interesting that the day after reports of NHL expansion, which is heavily tied to Atlanta building an arena in the suburbs, a current NHL team is announcing plans of a downtown arena because the current suburb arena was so much of a failure.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Quite interesting that the day after reports of NHL expansion, which is heavily tied to Atlanta building an arena in the suburbs, a current NHL team is announcing plans of a downtown arena because the current suburb arena was so much of a failure.
Not really, we’ve known for a year, that September 20th was the day for an announcement one way or the other on the Senators.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Good for Ottawa, good for the fans in Ottawa and good for hockey in Canada

Never been to downtown ottawa have you? Ottawa downtown is a nightmare to dive on the least busy of days, adding in 18k people leaving going all in different directions and it's going to be a year to get out of the area.
Same can be said for most downtown arenas

• Love
Reactions: njdevils1982

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It’s better than 17.5k people leaving all going in the same direction.

There also might actually be something to do and somewhere to go unlike the Kanata location which is surrounded by car dealerships that are closed at that time.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

There also might actually be something to do and somewhere to go unlike the Kanata location which is surrounded by car dealerships that are closed at that time.
Nothing makes me want to buy a vehicle more than watching a hockey game!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If they had the same number of parking spots, it would be worse, but they won’t have that many, probably less than 1/2 the current spots, so likely an improvement.

Yes most travel east, but also North, South and West.

Leader said he’s making some progress with province on giving direct access to 417 at CTC.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If they had the same number of parking spots, it would be worse, but they won’t have that many, probably less than 1/2 the current spots, so likely an improvement.

Yes most travel east, but also North, South and West.

Leader said he’s making some progress with province on giving direct access to 417 at CTC.

I’m two stops away by LRT or about a 25 minute walk.

Reactions: Fatass

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
So Ottawa is finally getting an arena in Ottawa? This seems like good news.
this is 20 minutes from my house in orleans. This will get me to see games now.

Great location! I lived in Ottawa in the 90s and went to two or three early Sens games at what was then (I think) the 'Corel Centre'. Nice arena, but in nowheresville. This new joint should be great for fans and surrounding business.
the arena now isn't in the middle of nowhere anymore, its probably highest population area outside of the core. however its still far and a really long bus ride away (even though they run shuttles) from anywhere east of parliament.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
this is 20 minutes from my house in orleans. This will get me to see games now.

the arena now isn't in the middle of nowhere anymore, its probably highest population area outside of the core. however its still far and a really long bus ride away (even though they run shuttles) from anywhere east of parliament.
Hugely better than Kanara though. That drive from Ottawa to Kanata, especially in the dark days of winter, is nasty.

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
IMG_0001.jpeg

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
amazing news!!!
as someone who was a kid in Ottawa when the Sens first came - wish a close-to-downtown arena was the plan 30 years ago - but better now than never!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad