Sportsnet: Seguin "disappointed" to not have an extension yet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Hey Tyler, ask to be traded to Montreal. We will extend you right away to a very lucrative deal and provide you top line duties with top minutes every night, PP time, o-zone starts your choice of wingers to play on your line and a permanent spot on the 3 top shoot-out shooters.

Just uhm... don't screw up and avoid slumps of more than 2 games at all costs!

Reactions: dukeofjive

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Completely fair

I like a cycle style that is suited more to playoff hockey. I like the way John works in and off the cycle and boards. He is less dynamic, but I find his game more suited to playoff success.

Among other things lol but that is what I really like about him.

Seguin still deserves to be paid, and paid well. I am confused as to what has been going on behind the scenes.

Somebody is lying

Yeah Tavares game doesn’t stand out quite as much but he is a very productive player. Having Matthews one could argue Tavares is a better fit.

I think Dallas tried lowballing him using the argument of tax savings and they probably haven’t spoken since that day

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Maybe the entire article with more than just a two liner should be brought to light:

Tyler Seguin 'disappointed' in lack of contract talks with Stars - Sportsnet.ca
The Dallas Stars‘ top centre said multiple times Tuesday that he feels “disappointed” that serious negotiations have not begun towards a long-term extension in Dallas.

The sides, he said, spoke informally at the draft in late June but no advancement toward a new contract has been made since.

“Nothing’s really going on,” Seguin said. “It’s been a little disappointing. I thought I’d have some exciting news to talk about at BioSteel Camp, especially this late in the summer. It’s been disappointing. But at the end of the day, I obviously have one year left here. I’m just going to focus on that.”

Seguin, 26, is about to enter a contract season. He scored a career-high 40 goals and put up 78 points in 2017-18 with the Stars and is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. His current deal carries a team-friendly $5.75-millon cap hit.

Judging by Seguin’s production, position and age, he would be in line for the type of bidding war and raise John Tavares received when the fellow Torontonian hit the open market to the tune of $77 million.

“I wasn’t really expecting this,” said Seguin, who has yet to consider whether he’ll be willing to negotiate in-season. “I’m excited to get back to Dallas and look forward to a good year.”

If Seguin remains unsigned by July, he should be the most coveted forward in 2019’s NHL free agency.[/qupte]

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
The Avalanche would love to have him as a 1B to Mack. They will have over 30 million in FA after the season with only Rantanen and Zadorov to resign that will cost anything above 4 million.

But why leave Dallas where you pay no state taxes.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There was a thread I want to say about 6 weeks ago asking if we were going to start seeing players from super teams like they do in the NBA.

I said yes and I said yes because it looked like Karlsson was going to Tampa and Tavares had already signed in Toronto, I said at the time players had 2 choices 1 join either Tampa or Toronto

2 team up to form your own super team.

If I were Seguin I'd be looking at option 2 and I'd be looking at Philly or Calgary, Imagine

Seguin Monahan Backlund down the middle with Godreau, Neal, Lindholm etc. on wing

Or Seguin and Coots down the middle with with JVR Grioux, Voracek etc. on wing

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd imagine if he leaves Dallas (I'd be shocked if he does) that just about every team will be pining for his services

He ain't a bad consolation prize for San Jose losing Tavares.
Ha.

Yeah another player that SJ can talk about and then end up not signing.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I’d take Seguin over Tavares and I am sure I am far from alone on that. He deserves to set a higher bar, 11.25M-11.5M. Dallas shouldn’t be offering anything less than the Tavares deal.

I would take tavares 10 times out of 10 before seguin. Both aren't worth 11M but it's the price to pay to win a Elite UFA i guess!

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think he'll move on as well. Maybe to the Sharks as a replacement for Thornton? Thornton's 40 next yr. and may be contemplating retirement.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hey Tyler, ask to be traded to Montreal. We will extend you right away to a very lucrative deal and provide you top line duties with top minutes every night, PP time, o-zone starts your choice of wingers to play on your line and a permanent spot on the 3 top shoot-out shooters.

Just uhm... don't screw up and avoid slumps of more than 2 games at all costs!

The Habs would probably make him play wing anyway. Montreal, where the wingers are hopeful centres and the centres are actually wingers!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Tavares also had the benefit of being the only legitimate 1C on a Isles team versus what Seguin got drafted into in Boston.

I think honestly they are very similar players.
They're similar in value, I agree. Similar age, production, position. Certainly not in how they play though. Wouldn't be surprising at all if Seguin uses Tavares as a comparable in contract negotiations. Dallas will have to offer him somewhere around the $10 million a year range if he's going to stick around.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Hey C-Bus, there's your trading partner. Panarin for Segwin straight up.

Mar 26, 2010
I’d take Seguin over Tavares and I am sure I am far from alone on that. He deserves to set a higher bar, 11.25M-11.5M. Dallas shouldn’t be offering anything less than the Tavares deal.
I take Tavares over Seguin, and I am sure I am far from alone on that. FTR, I am a big Seguin fan as well. Elite player.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If I had to guess Dallas probably offered him a fair deal(10M+) and he didn't accept

Doubt it. Seguin would be extremely lucky to get 10m+ with his playoff performance history. Kucherov just got 9.5 while getting 100 points and having two good playoff performances.

10m+ is a VERY fair offer for Seguin. He does not deserve 11m+ thats for sure.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey C-Bus, there's your trading partner. Panarin for Segwin straight up.

Kinda interesting actually.

But I don't think that makes sense for DAL. That would leave them with Faksa, Hanzal, Spezza and Shore up the middle.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Kinda interesting actually.

But I don't think that makes sense for DAL. That would leave them with Faksa, Hanzal, Spezza and Shore up the middle.

Centre depth is overrated.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to have Seguin on the Jets 1-2 combo with Mark S. But never would happen, cap issue, no contract, central division rivals, never agree on cost to get him, etc, etc.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The management is the one not wanting to negotiate.
One year ago, I remember reading something about them not being happy with Seguin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad