Proposal: Seattle Wins The 50m Hertl Race: SEA + S.J.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's not a trade deadline deal...

It being a TDL deal is the only way this happens. Seattle isn't going to trade for Hertl unless they're thinking they can compete. They're not going to have that clear picture until close to the TDL. Then, they'd trade for a rental Hertl if he really doesn't want to play in San Jose.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'm more willing to keep him and get him to re-sign over renting him out if they're out of it.

Why? Look at the roster and cap space tied up in Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic and Couture... isn't it pretty clear the Sharks aren't going to be competitive while those veterans are on the roster?

What does re-signing Hertl do exactly for the organization besides tie up more long term cap space on a player heading towards the downside of his prime?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They've built their team... they have a lot of veterans signed to long term deals... including a 29 year old goalie they just signed to a 6 year deal

Their goal is clearly to contend this season, and the Hertl acquisition gets them closer to that goal
They have 5 guys signed for more than 3 years. Andn3 of those will be UFAs in year 4.

Half their current team will likely be gone within 2 years.

They really do not have a legitimate top line or a legitimate top pairing on D.

They only have a couple of prospects on their farm.

Hertl does not make this team a contender, and honestly, why would Hertl waive for Seattle and then sign for 7 years below market value before ever playing a game for them? That is a total fantasy.

Reactions: Groo

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
They have 5 guys signed for more than 3 years. Andn3 of those will be UFAs in year 4.

Half their current team will likely be gone within 2 years.

They really do not have a legitimate top line or a legitimate top pairing on D.

They only have a couple of prospects on their farm.

Hertl does not make this team a contender, and honestly, why would Hertl waive for Seattle and then sign for 7 years below market value before ever playing a game for them? That is a total fantasy.

I guess we'll see what that ends up being...

7.14 million per season would be more than Landeskog's AAV in his new extension

Couturier just signed for 7.75 million per season, and Zibanejad for 8.5 million per... do you think Hertl deserves to be making as much as either of them?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Couturier just signed for 7.75 million per season, and Zibanejad for 8.5 million per... do you think Hertl deserves to be making as much as either of them?
As a UFA this upcoming season? Absolutely.

Malkin and Bergeron are 35 and 36, and they will also likely re-sign with their clubs. Hertl is going to be the cream of the crop this offseason. While not a top ten center in the league, I think you can definitely make a case that with his all around game that he is top 20ish. If he makes it to UFA, someone will offer him 8.5. If there is a biding war, he may end up getting something in the 9 per range. (Note - I am not saying Hertl at 9 million is a good contract, but it's a lot better than Skinner at 9 mil, and someone is likely going to give it out.)

Edit* He may take a discount for a chance at a title, and sign in the 7 range with a team like Colorado, as he already proved that he was willing to take a discount on his last deal to help Wilson build a contender in SJ, but he sure as hell isn't signing that deal with the Kraken.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Seattle, for whatever reason, built their team in the hopes of contending right away, so they may as well commit to that plan and bring in a significant upgrade at C

Nothing about Seattle's roster speaks to me as saying it's built to contend right away.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Nothing about Seattle's roster speaks to me as saying it's built to contend right away.

I didn't say Seattle's management team did a good job of it, only their intention was to contend immediately...

Hence the contracts to Grubauer, Larsson, Wennberg, Oleksiak...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why? Look at the roster and cap space tied up in Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic and Couture... isn't it pretty clear the Sharks aren't going to be competitive while those veterans are on the roster?

What does re-signing Hertl do exactly for the organization besides tie up more long term cap space on a player heading towards the downside of his prime?

It isn't clear since the Sharks are trying to be competitive for a playoff spot and Hertl helps them there clearly. Keeping a popular player that helps you compete is what he does and I think they and the fans would be fine with that. The answer for the Sharks as a business isn't to let good players go if they can prevent it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

It's not what Hertl deserves, it's what he can get. If he goes to free agency, he's going to get a bundle. Why settle for a lower offer from a brand new team?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
cant see hertl wanting to close out his career in an expansion team that probably wont sniff a cup for nearly a decade. Dudes been on a team that hasnt been relevant almost his entire career, hes going to a contender.

Reactions: 24 others

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
What a croc of shit

they havent won their division in ten years, and have won nothing his entire tenure there. Hes going to want to chase a cup, not be on a team thats nowhere close. Ya, theyve made playoffs while hes been there (in a crap division most years) and lost the cup once, but lets not fool ourselves and think hes going to want to go somewhere in the prime of his career thats a lateral move teamwise.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
they havent won their division in ten years, and have won nothing his entire tenure there. Hes going to want to chase a cup, not be on a team thats nowhere close. Ya, theyve made playoffs while hes been there (in a crap division most years) and lost the cup once, but lets not fool ourselves and think hes going to want to go somewhere in the prime of his career thats a lateral move teamwise.
Not relevant in his entire career?
So no to Minnesota then?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Yeah a Western Conference Championship is winning nothing. By your standard, there's only the Bolts, Blues, Caps, Pens, Blackhawks, and Kings that he'd go to that would be going somewhere that's not a lateral move team-wise. Good luck finding a spot for Hertl on any of those teams at his going rate.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Not relevant in his entire career?
So no to Minnesota then?

minnesota isnt relevant either. Nor do i think hell come here. I guess i should explain my "relevant" comment. Im talking considered "cup contender" Not saying San jose has been a terrible team, because they havent. Theyve just been in a similar position as the wild where vets are making too much to afford to build a true cup winning team. And havent been bad enough to get prospects to put them over the top. Just middling teams. Its not his fault san jose hamstrung themselves with the burns and karlsson contracts and havent been able to add the significant pieces they needed to win. They have gotten a little lucky being that their division has been fairly soft the past few years.

I think hell go to a true contender as a #2c TBH

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
minnesota isnt relevant either. Nor do i think hell come here. I guess i should explain my "relevant" comment. Im talking considered "cup contender" Not saying San jose has been a terrible team, because they havent. Theyve just been in a similar position as the wild where vets are making too much to afford to build a true cup winning team. And havent been bad enough to get prospects to put them over the top. Just middling teams. Its not his fault san jose hamstrung themselves with the burns and karlsson contracts and havent been able to add the significant pieces they needed to win. They have gotten a little lucky being that their division has been fairly soft the past few years.

I think hell go to a true contender as a #2c TBH

Again, your true contenders don't have room for Hertl.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Only way I would make a deal like this from a Kraken POV is if we are already in playoff contention around the TDL or just a few points out. But if that is the case, I am not sure why the Sharks would be interested in moving Hertl for a mid-to-late 1st round pick.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I've already seen better offers for Hertl and there's no way he'll accept 7Mx7 for any team other than the Sharks.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Can I just ask the OP what motivated you to suddenly make a dozen plus proposal threads with pun titles? Seems like you just started at the end of September and it’s been more or less non-stop since then.

Hope it’s not going to become a Perennial thing.

@Perennial

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I've already seen better offers for Hertl and there's no way he'll accept 7Mx7 for any team other than the Sharks.

He could go somewhere without state income tax and that 7Mx7 would hold more value. Could be potentially cheaper than living in San Jose as well.

My expectation is that he re-signs with SJ anyway but stranger things have happened.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
To Seattle: Hertl (extended for 50m over 7 years)

To San Jose: 2022 1st (top 1 protected), 2022 2nd, WPG's 2023 2nd

Seattle, for whatever reason, built their team in the hopes of contending right away, so they may as well commit to that plan and bring in a significant upgrade at C

San Jose get a 1st and a couple of 2nd rd picks for a player who is in the final year of his contract and isn't likely to re-sign. By not taking back any salary, the Sharks create additional cap space which can be used to take on a cap dump or retain salary in order to help facilitate a trade for other teams
I disagree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad