Proposal: Seattle Wins The 50m Hertl Race: SEA + S.J.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To Seattle: Hertl (extended for 50m over 7 years)

To San Jose: 2022 1st (top 1 protected), 2022 2nd, WPG's 2023 2nd

Seattle, for whatever reason, built their team in the hopes of contending right away, so they may as well commit to that plan and bring in a significant upgrade at C

San Jose get a 1st and a couple of 2nd rd picks for a player who is in the final year of his contract and isn't likely to re-sign. By not taking back any salary, the Sharks create additional cap space which can be used to take on a cap dump or retain salary in order to help facilitate a trade for other teams

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't think it's likely that hertl won't resign. But, depending on the status of those negotiations at the trade deadline, I might consider this if seattle was also out of the playoffs.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I feel like you come up with the pun first and then you try to mold a trade proposal around it.

This is 100% true.

This trade is eerily reminiscent of the VGK trade for Tatar. However, in that case, Tatar was presently signed to a 4/5.3M deal at the time of the trade, not a pending UFA. It would probably make more sense for Seattle to only look at this trade if they're at the TDL and they're in the VGK spot and only deal for Hertl as a rental if he's still on the block. He'd come cheaper than this as a pure rental and then you'd have the flexibility to extend or not as you chose.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
LeBrun is speculating in that article --- he "gets the sense" that Hertl won't resign. I suppose he's somewhat credible when it comes to the sharks, but everything hertl and management have said since this article go against the thrust of it.

There's also the question of whether the Sharks should re-sign Hertl...

Given their core is signed long term and isn't likely to contend, I don't see much point in re-signing another soon-t0-be 30 year old to a long term contract

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
There's also the question of whether the Sharks should re-sign Hertl...

Given their core is signed long term and isn't likely to contend, I don't see much point in re-signing another soon-t0-be 30 year old to a long term contract

Very true. I'm on team tank for Wright. But our GM is obsessed with the idea of annual contention

Reactions: Dicdonya

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
First, players coming up on their first time UFA status never sign with teams in a trade before they've played a game for them.

This notion is a hockey's futures forum fantasy.

This is not the NBA or the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed. First time UFA decisions are looked at as a long term commitment. Players want to know there is a good fit, or wait it out to see all options available.

Second, makes no sense for Seattle, who have no farm and are just starting to build their team.

That said, value isn't terrible.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
First, players coming up on their first time UFA status never sign with teams in a trade before they've played a game for them.

This notion is a hockey's futures forum fantasy.

This is not the NBA or the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed. First time UFA decisions are looked at as a long term commitment. Players want to know there is a good fit, or wait it out to see all options available.

Second, makes no sense for Seattle, who have no farm and are just starting to build their team.

That said, value isn't terrible.

They've built their team... they have a lot of veterans signed to long term deals... including a 29 year old goalie they just signed to a 6 year deal

Their goal is clearly to contend this season, and the Hertl acquisition gets them closer to that goal

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
This is not true. Off the top of my head, Seth Jones and Jean Gabriel Pageau both did
Sorry, yeah, I was very vague, and did not clarify my point at all, was in a rush ;)

I was implying below market value contracts, which this would be, and it is what people keep implying in these threads. Also, I was implying mid season/deadline trades. The resigning in the off-season like Jones did happens frequently.

Hertl might sign with Seattle if they offered him 8 x 9.4. but he would not sign with them before playing a game there for 7 x 7.14

Once the season is underway, and a player is that close to their first UFA, they are not going to sign a bargain, long-term contract with another team before playing game unless they have already played for the team in the past.

Islanders signing Pageau was a very rare instances but they also gave him 30 million based mostly on one season where he was shooting at 18%. That was an overpay

Hertl's going to get 8 mil+ and he and his agent know it. Why would he agree to this trade and then sign for that?

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad