Proposal: Seattle-Minnesota at the Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I think this favors Seattle a bit too much. 5 spots to move up for Ohgren is a hefty price, let alone with a 3rd attached. Who does Minnesota even want at 8 over 13? I feel like there's a pretty good chance whoever they want could easily fall that far.

Reactions: 57special

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Probably too much value going from Minnesota but at the same time - the Kraken are loaded with young forward prospect depth. They should be looking for home runs, not depth.

In a vacuum it’s easy to say the same quality will be there at 13 that is there at 8…and certainly not a big enough difference to warrant the inclusion of another recent first who has tracked decently at the least. But you also don’t know how teams are stacking their boards or who is going where on draft day. It is likely that on draft day, for some teams, the difference between 8 and 13 will be very significant even if we can’t tell that right now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The sort of deal that really depends heavily on exactly who is available at 8 and how the Wild feel about that player. But rarely see deals like this because teams tend to like to keep prospects like Ohgren that they've already drafted and investment development time and resources into. And quite frankly...teams will typically tend to convince themselves that wherever they're picking is within a similar "tier" range. Where moving up from 13th to 8th just isn't a big enough deal to give up all that extra value when they might well be picking the same player at either spot anyway.

Reactions: keppel146

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think this favors Seattle a bit too much. 5 spots to move up for Ohgren is a hefty price, let alone with a 3rd attached. Who does Minnesota even want at 8 over 13? I feel like there's a pretty good chance whoever they want could easily fall that far.
Hoe often have you seen such a trade?

Teams arent going to fo it unless you make the deal attractive.

If all it cost was a 2nd you would have seen more of these trades

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Hoe often have you seen such a trade?

Teams arent going to fo it unless you make the deal attractive.

If all it cost was a 2nd you would have seen more of these trades
There's a big difference between a 2nd and another former 1st rounder who has only improved and could have easily been drafted above where he went. This is closer to the Geekie trade (11 for 27, 34 and 45) but it's 13, 19, and a 3rd for 8. Which I would honestly say is more valuable than what Arizona traded for 11. I agree that it needs to be attractive, but as I said I think this is a little too attractive.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Makes no sense for MN in this draft. Maybe in some others, where there is a clear drop off after 8, but 2024 is one of the most wide open drafts I can remember after the #1 pick.

I can totally see SEA doing this. I mean, Ohgren is a good forward prospect with top 6 upside. He has NHL good size, skating, and a plus shot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Abstractly it heavily favors Seattle.

Ohgren is a good prospect worth more than moving up from 13 to 8. And there's a 3rd rounder included for some reason? :laugh:

But imagine pick 8 comes around and one of your top rated players are there?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
The premise was if a higher ranked guy fell and we’d do cleanup.

I don’t value Ohgren as high as some, so he and a 3rd is manageable to lose from my viewpoint, yet Seattle still gets a solid return.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Abstractly it heavily favors Seattle.

Ohgren is a good prospect worth more than moving up from 13 to 8. And there's a 3rd rounder included for some reason? :laugh:

But imagine pick 8 comes around and one of your top rated players are there?
That was the idea. What if you really like one of Lindstrom, Silayev, Iginla, Dickinson, or Catton and one is sitting there…

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That was the idea. What if you really like one of Lindstrom, Silayev, Iginla, Dickinson, or Catton and one is sitting there…
I don't think this makes sense with those being the targets. Now if a Demidov or Levshunov falls dramatically, yeah for sure offer this package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad