Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
all 4 local news stations and NFL network will show it.

ESPN 3 is airing it.

Edit

500k is expected to be at the parade.

Last edited:

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Choice tweet on today's events from Seattle media friend of hockey Ian Furness:

Ian Furness ‏@IanKJR 5h
I wonder if Nick Licata and the other local anti-sports politicians will notice there is a sports related "event" in our city today?

It is estimated that 700,000+ are downtown as I write this at the parade. By the way, the parade route goes right past Seattle City Hall, so Licata is seeing this outside his office window.....

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
q13 news is saying this has never happen before with crowds amount this high

They're right, GS. As I noted earlier, it will be interesting to see how NBA/NHL execs react to this large number of folks down there. And that may just be on the streets themselves. Add in the 60-70,000 at the two stadiums and perhaps a couple of million more watching this thing on TV or the web right now, and this is just simply amazing.

BTW, GS, did you see the story on SR regarding what David Aldridge said about NBA to Seattle??

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They're right, GS. As I noted earlier, it will be interesting to see how NBA/NHL execs react to this large number of folks down there. And that may just be on the streets themselves. Add in the 60-70,000 at the two stadiums and perhaps a couple of million more watching this thing on TV or the web right now, and this is just simply amazing.

BTW, GS, did you see the story on SR regarding what David Aldridge said about NBA to Seattle??

Yea saw it. The has to be more than a 700k perhaps a million in seattle

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
KING 5 News ‏@KING5Seattle 1m
Paul Allen at #Celebrate48 rally says he was told more than one MILLION people turned out for today's parade! #SEABestFans

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Talk of NBA and NHL owners watching the parade made me wonder if baseball owners also took notice and would like to put an MLB team back in Seattle one day? :sarcasm:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
That would be nice. I forgot what a real baseball team feels like.

I'm a Red Sox fan, but the Mariners are my second team, as tacky as that may be. The past few Red Sox series I've been to have maybe had 33-35k in attendance. Think the last sell out vs Boston I've went to was in 2009.

Would be nice to see the Mariners compete for a wild card spot, but I won't hold my breath.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10442963/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-talks-expansion

Might I dare say the NBA just gave its answer to the TV discussions question that would otherwise have triggered a Seattle expansion?

Now, will the NHL be the impetus for the arena? I seriously have my doubts.

Well if no NBA team (if it has to be a NBA team) comes guess what no arena and essentially it'll be a long long time before a NHL team ever plays in Seattle due to lack of arena.

At this point its NHL or bust for the arena until things change over at the NBA. And i believe NHL will grant seattle an expansion and be the one that builds the arena.

No way NHL will miss out in the essentially only chance for the near future at getting a team here.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't see how Milwaukee gets a NHL team if the bucks move due to lack of arena.

Even if no NHL team, is losing the Bucks really a loss though? Is the team that popular in the city? I don't follow the NBA, but it really seems like a market that doesn't belong at a pro level.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Even if no NHL team, is losing the Bucks really a loss though? Is the team that popular in the city? I don't follow the NBA, but it really seems like a market that doesn't belong at a pro level.

Used to have some of the loudest fans in the league and was once a model franchise in the league. Then Herb Kohl bought the team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

well if Kohl has anything to do with it he isn't selling the team to someone that will move the team.

Only way the bucks move if NBA forces it.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
well if Kohl has anything to do with it he isn't selling the team to someone that will move the team.

Only way the bucks move if NBA forces it.

The NBA is forcing it. New Commish Adam Silver has said the Bradley Center is unfit for NBA basketball. The Bucks lease to play there ends after the 2016-2017 season, and the NBA won't let them play there after that. If Milwaukee doesn't agree to build a new arena soon, the Bucks will be relocated for the 2017-2018 season, likely to Seattle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The NBA is forcing it. New Commish Adam Silver has said the Bradley Center is unfit for NBA basketball. The Bucks lease to play there ends after the 2016-2017 season, and the NBA won't let them play there after that. If Milwaukee doesn't agree to build a new arena soon, the Bucks will be relocated for the 2017-2018 season, likely to Seattle.

If ownership changes hand to someone that wants to keep team there and progress changes to where a new arena happen i don't think the team is moving at least right away. I see NBA allowing new ownership(one that wants to keep team there) a chance to get arena deal done. Only way bucks move if NBA forces the owner to sell to Hansen.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
No surprise by Silver's remarks at all. A classic 'not at this time' type of position so nothing changing from the Stern era at this time.

A couple of dominos to fall before we see Soncis return. New TV/media deal post 2016 and a resolution of the Bucks arena-wise. Both should still fall before the MOU expires so, I think the NHL to Seattle train will still pull into the station OK.

Dec 15, 2002
At this point its NHL or bust for the arena until things change over at the NBA. And i believe NHL will grant seattle an expansion and be the one that builds the arena.
Not a chance the NHL foots the bill for a new arena for any team. As soon as the NHL does it for one team, every city across North America who gets approached by an owner to put up public funds for a playing facility is going to point to the NHL shelling out $ and say, "if you want it, go ask the league to build it for you."

Used to have some of the loudest fans in the league and was once a model franchise in the league. Then Herb Kohl bought the team.
Largely this. To be fair, Kohl has owned the Bucks for almost 30 years and they haven't been terrible the entire time (2 trips to the conference finals - 1986, 2001) but his basic premise when running the team has been "don't make me have to spend a ton of money on it." Bucks fans expect before the start of the year to see the team go something like 34-48; maybe they'll get lucky and be more like 40-42 and get the 8-seed and get waxed in the 1st round - but they've seen that for most of Kohl's tenure. If he doesn't care, why should they?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Not a chance the NHL foots the bill for a new arena for any team. As soon as the NHL does it for one team, every city across North America who gets approached by an owner to put up public funds for a playing facility is going to point to the NHL shelling out $ and say, "if you want it, go ask the league to build it for you."

By NHL i mean the NHL group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad