GDT: Season opener: Ducks vs Coyotes - Thu 7 PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Read a couple previews now where the switch from Bernier to Miller is cited like it's some huge upgrade. It's not. Bernier was good in the regular season, Miller at best will match that. Bernier-to-Miller really only matters if Gibson is hurt yet again during the playoffs.

True, but that scenario is more likely than we'd like to believe.

How in the world does Boll get that spot

EDIT: I guess RC wanted to keep that 4th line together, but why not Grant

Because Boll has a scheduled fight he can't miss.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If a guy like Kosilla couldn't make the team under these circumstances, you have wonder if he'll ever get a chance here. It was basically on a silver platter for him

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If a guy like Kosilla couldn't make the team under these circumstances, you have wonder if he'll ever get a chance here. It was basically on a silver platter for him
He looked good enough to me. So did Fiore. So did Sabourin, frankly, if an enforcer was needed. But, we get Boll, Grant and Shaw. Honestly, what the hell is our 4th line supposed to be good at?

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He looked good enough to me. So did Fiore. So did Sabourin, frankly, if an enforcer was needed. But, we get Boll, Grant and Shaw. Honestly, what the hell is our 4th line supposed to be good at?
Oh I totally agree those guys were good enough to earn a tryout. It just doesn't bode well for Kossila that BM/RC went with a nothing player like Grant over him. Kossila is 24 now so it should have been sink or swim time for him, especially given the circumstances

Reactions: Boogernaut

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
My guess is "safe minutes." IE they don't really care if they score they just need to be good enough defensively to not give up chances. Or at the very least limited chances against.

Oct 18, 2011
My god, those lines are awful. We really couldn't keep Jones for a few games, or keep Kossila ot Fiore up? This is our worst bottom six since Randy's first stint

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Fiore-Vermette-Kase -line could have been something interesting. Oh well, I guess they need Boll against Arizona or something...

I have a bad feeling about this season, starting it with so many injuries on important players is not good and the game has gotten faster and the Ducks are one of the slowest teams. Sure, speed isn't everything but core is getting older and older, and even slower, it's bound to have some impact on the performance.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Ugh... Let's grind out them wins, eh? With that bottom 6 there's a lot of pressure for the top lines to produce. Boll on 3rd especially sticks out like a sore thumb and I can't wait to see this. I wish there was a bit more emphasis on skill with RC but that's not his thing.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
How about we see Grant in a few regular season games before we rip on him too much.

I may be in the minority, but I think skilled players who aren't going to produce are equally useless (if not worse) than grinders who don't produce. If you are gonna play guys like Fiore and Kossila you gotta put them in positions where they can be effective. Now, if Fiore was playing with Getzlaf and Perry, and if Kossila was slotted between Ritchie and Kase on the 3rd line, that could work.

But for whatever reason they prefer Ritchie on the top line atm. And I don't see a 4th line of Fiore-Kossila-Wagner doing anything at all.

Being the last guys sent down usually means a good chance of being recalled soon. Their chances will come.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Last year Domi fought Kesler so now we will revenge with... Boll

God damn it! I really didn`t saw any preseason games but from all the reports here and elsewhere we really have some guys deserving to being up over Boll.
But ok, once we lose I am sure we will call some guys up so I believe there will be chances given. But just seeing Boll on the 3d line is... crazy
Is this Randy 1.0?

EDIT: That being said Elvs also makes some good arguments. We`ll see

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I have no problems with Shaw and Grant playing, especially not if RC uses them smart. Like Tiny Biggs said, there's gonna be a lot of pressure on this top six to produce with Kesler and Eaves out.

Therefore, hopefully RC keeps guys like Getzlaf's, Perry's and Rakell's minutes on the PK to a minimum. Especially since Getzlaf isn't 100%. Save their energy for offensive situations and let guys like Grant, Shaw and Wagner help relief Silf, Cogs and Vermette on the PK.

Edit:

Boll on the third line is much more concerning. That means he'll see more icetime than usual, while also playing his off wing. As if his puck control wasn't already lacking, now his stick will be directed towards center ice.

I'd expect some line juggeling though.

Last edited:

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I would be very surprised if Boll actually got 3rd line minutes. I think he will spend 5 minutes on the ice, another 5 minutes in the box and the rest of the game on the bench. That being said, I don't see any reasons not to play Sabourin over Boll other than Boll's veteran status.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
hmm.. not sure if this is accurate or a mistake, but Corey Pronman is quoting someone that is saying Fiore will make his NHL debut tonight..

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Ritchie - Getz - Perry
Cogs - Rakell - Silf
Fiore - Vermette - Kase
Grant - Rasmussen - Wagner
Boll, Shaw (?)

Fowler - Manson
Beauch - Montour
Megna - Bieksa
Holzer

Gibson - Berra

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
So... With half the team injured, what lineup are we going with tonight?

Quite sad to see so many defensive/grinding forwards. Give skill a chance, Randy!

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Highly doubtful RC sits Boll and Shaw. If Fiore is in, I think you'll see Grant as the healthy scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad