SEASON in REVIEW: 1969-70

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Previous threads:
SEASON in REVIEW: 1967-68
SEASON in REVIEW: 1968-69

The 1969-70 NHL Season

The third season, post-expansion, and it wasn't entirely unlike the previous season: same 12 clubs, same divisional breakdowns, same number of games played (76), same "West" division (i..e., expansion) club in the Finals (St. Louis Blues).

The big difference, however, compared to 1968-69, was that the Montreal Canadiens missed the playoffs (gasp!), despite having a better record than every West-division club and tying the playoff-bound Rangers in points (New York had a better goal differential). This seemingly opened the door somewhat for ascendant Boston, which -- as Bobby Orr hit his absolute peak -- won its first Stanley Cup since 1941. Boston, which had tied for 1st overall with Chicago, lost only 2 playoff games (to the same Blackhawks, in round one) on the way to the Cup.

Speaking of the Chicago Blackhawks, they were quite a story this season: In 1968-69, they had crapped out, finishing at .507 and last place among the established teams, not even close to a playoff spot. But in 1969-70 they suddenly surged to tie for 1st overall. The difference for Chicago appears to have been defence, as the club shaved an amazing 76 goals-against off its totals -- that is, one goal per game less!

Winning the 1969-70 booby-prize for ineptness was the Los Angeles Kings, who bottomed-out to a horrendous 14-52-10 record, 38 points, and last overall. The Kings were last overall in offense, and last overall in defence. Their leading scorer was Ross Lonsberry with 42 points, and they didn't have a single "plus" player on their entire roster (defenceman Larry Cahan had a League-worst minus 43).

Amazingly, the 1970 Art Ross trophy was won by a defenceman... Bobby Orr, with 120 points. No defenceman had ever been scoring leader or Art Ross winner, prior. To put Orr's 120 points into perspective, the most points any Dman in history had ever scored to that point was... Bobby Orr's 64 points the year prior (and before that, Pierre Pilote's 59 points in 1965).

Phil Esposito dropped from 126 points to 99, but still finished second to Orr in scoring. Chicago's Stan Mikita was third, with Phil Goyette (Blues) and Walt Tkaczuk (Rangers) rounding out the top-5. Notably, this was the first season in 21 years that Gordie Howe (now aged 41) wasn't top-five in scoring. Howe still finished 1st in scoring on a strong Red Wings team (the last 'good' Wings club for a long time), and was still overall 9th in scoring!

In addition to his 120 points, Orr had the most assists (87) in NHL history (10 more than Esposito the year prior and 37 more than any defenceman had ever had), and led the League at +54. Needless to say, he won the Hart trophy.

Back to the playoffs: St. Louis achieved the unlikely feat of reaching the Cup Finals three seasons in a row -- due to the existence of the 'West' division and the playoff format pitting East vs. West in the Final -- and losing every single game. It would be another 49 years (!) before the Blues would be in the Stanley Cup Final again (winning, in 2019).

Bobby Orr won the Conn Smythe trophy for Boston. This meant that in one season, Orr won the Hart trophy, the Art Ross trophy, the Norris trophy, and the Conn Smythe (needless to say, he was also 1st-team All Star). No player had ever come close to winning (or winning the equivalent of) those 4 trophies in one season before... and no player has done it since.

Regular Season:
Summary: 1969-70 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

1969-70 also gave us probably the most famous photo in NHL hockey history:
Bobby_Orr_in_mid-air_%281970%29.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-05 104909.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-05 104909.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 2

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Highlights from the 1970 Cup Final:

I like how the camera was positioned higher up than it is now. No idea why they brought it down. Old school international hockey had it like that too. Nagano is the last tournament I remember with cameras so high up...

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Previous threads:
SEASON in REVIEW: 1967-68
SEASON in REVIEW: 1968-69

The 1969-70 NHL Season

The third season, post-expansion, and it wasn't entirely unlike the previous season: same 12 clubs, same divisional breakdowns, same number of games played (76), same "West" division (i..e., expansion) club in the Finals (St. Louis Blues).

The big difference, however, compared to 1968-69, was that the Montreal Canadiens missed the playoffs (gasp!), despite having a better record than every West-division club and tying the playoff-bound Rangers in points (New York had a better goal differential). This seemingly opened the door somewhat for ascendant Boston, which -- as Bobby Orr hit his absolute peak -- won its first Stanley Cup since 1941. Boston, which had tied for 1st overall with Chicago, lost only 2 playoff games (to the same Blackhawks, in round one) on the way to the Cup.

Speaking of the Chicago Blackhawks, they were quite a story this season: In 1968-69, they had crapped out, finishing at .507 and last place among the established teams, not even close to a playoff spot. But in 1969-70 they suddenly surged to tie for 1st overall. The difference for Chicago appears to have been defence, as the club shaved an amazing 76 goals-against off its totals -- that is, one goal per game less!

Winning the 1969-70 booby-prize for ineptness was the Los Angeles Kings, who bottomed-out to a horrendous 14-52-10 record, 38 points, and last overall. The Kings were last overall in offense, and last overall in defence. Their leading scorer was Ross Lonsberry with 42 points, and they didn't have a single "plus" player on their entire roster (defenceman Larry Cahan had a League-worst minus 43).

Amazingly, the 1970 Art Ross trophy was won by a defenceman... Bobby Orr, with 120 points. No defenceman had ever been scoring leader or Art Ross winner, prior. To put Orr's 120 points into perspective, the most points any Dman in history had ever scored to that point was... Bobby Orr's 64 points the year prior (and before that, Pierre Pilote's 59 points in 1965).

Phil Esposito dropped from 126 points to 99, but still finished second to Orr in scoring. Chicago's Stan Mikita was third, with Phil Goyette (Blues) and Walt Tkaczuk (Rangers) rounding out the top-5. Notably, this was the first season in 21 years that Gordie Howe (now aged 41) wasn't top-five in scoring. Howe still finished 1st in scoring on a strong Red Wings team (the last 'good' Wings club for a long time), and was still overall 9th in scoring!

In addition to his 120 points, Orr had the most assists (87) in NHL history (10 more than Esposito the year prior and 37 more than any defenceman had ever had), and led the League at +54. Needless to say, he won the Hart trophy.

Back to the playoffs: St. Louis achieved the unlikely feat of reaching the Cup Finals three seasons in a row -- due to the existence of the 'West' division and the playoff format pitting East vs. West in the Final -- and losing every single game. It would be another 49 years (!) before the Blues would be in the Stanley Cup Final again (winning, in 2019).

Bobby Orr won the Conn Smythe trophy for Boston. This meant that in one season, Orr won the Hart trophy, the Art Ross trophy, the Norris trophy, and the Conn Smythe (needless to say, he was also 1st-team All Star). No player had ever come close to winning (or winning the equivalent of) those 4 trophies in one season before... and no player has done it since.

Regular Season:
Summary: 1969-70 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

1969-70 also gave us probably the most famous photo in NHL hockey history:
Bobby_Orr_in_mid-air_%281970%29.jpg
Rangers actually won two games from the Bruins in the first round. Bruins swept Chicago in the 2nd round.

Reactions: The Panther

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Memories.... The 1969-70 season remains my favorite season decades later - precisely because the Leafs and (most especially) the Canadiens missed the playoffs. No game has entertained and delighted me more than the last game of the season between Montreal and Chicago, in the Windy City. As the third period wound down, and it became more and more likely that the Habs would not be able to score enough goals to earn Fourth Place in the East Division, I looked more and more like that Cheshire Cat. I couldn't whoop it up as much as I might have had my Canadiens-loving father not been there - listening to the French broadcast of the game with me and some other hockey fans. Adding to my delight - of course - was the fact that it was my Rangers who would earn the final playoff spot in the East Division. Their performance in the First Round - especially their willingness and ability to play the black-and-blue style of the Big, Bad Bruins - gave me some confidence that there might be some postseason in store for the Blueshirts in the next few years.

Reactions: The Panther

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5