SEASON in REVIEW: 1968-69

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Previous thread:
SEASON in REVIEW: 1967-68

The 1968-69 NHL Season

Here we go with the second season post-expansion. In many ways, this season was akin to a replay of the previous season: same 12 clubs, same divisional breakdowns, same two teams in Cup Finals, same result (Montreal wins its 2nd straight). It was the Canadiens' 15th Stanley Cup championship. (One difference is that NHL teams now played 76 games, instead of 74.)

The Canadiens were the best team all year. They improved from the previous year's mark up to a .678 winning record, and then won the Cup with a 12-2 record in the playoffs. They swept the Rangers in the first round and St. Louis (not surprisingly) in the Finals. (St. Louis had swept the L.A. Kings to reach the Finals.) Of note, however, is that the Habs needed six games to get rid of Boston, which had just enjoyed its best season since 1941. The Bobby Orr Bruins in fact finished 2nd overall, just three points behind Montreal, scoring a League-high 303 goals.

1968-69 was the first post-expansion season when scoring started to go up. This applied only to the established 6 clubs, however -- every one of them scored more than 3.0 goals per game (Boston about 4 per game), and none of the new clubs did.

Regular Season:
Summary: 1968-69 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com
Summary of team stats: NHL Stats
Summary of skaters' stats: NHL Stats
Summary of goalies' stats: NHL Stats

Playoffs:
Summary of teams: NHL Stats
Summary of skaters: NHL Stats

s-l400.jpg

Interestingly, the Conn Smythe trophy went to Serge Savard, in what was only his 2nd full season.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
As can be seen in the links above, the scoring leaders in 1968-69 were:

1. Phil Esposito • BOS 126
2. Bobby Hull • CBH 107
3. Gordie Howe • DET 103
4. Stan Mikita • CBH 97
5. Ken Hodge • BOS 90
6. Yvan Cournoyer • MTL 87
7. Alex Delvecchio • DET 83
8. Jean Beliveau • MTL 82
Red Berenson • STL 82
10. Jean Ratelle • NYR 78
Frank Mahovlich • DET 78

Never before had an NHL player scored 100 points in a season, and in 1968-69 three players did. Esposito's 126 points and +55 rating might in some ways suggest this year as his most impressive season (Orr scored 64 points). Perhaps more notable was Gordie Howe achieving 100+ points for the first and last time in his NHL career, at the age of 40.

(The top-5 points-per-game leaders were identical to the scoring leaders.)

Here are month-by-month scoring leaders:
October 1968
16 - Mikita
16 - Nevin
14 - B. Hull
13 - Pappin
November 1968
24 - B. Hull
21 - Berenson
20 - Beliveau
19 - Howe
December 1968
23 - Dennis Hull
20 - Howe
19 - Ullman
18 - Esposito
18 - Hicke
January 1969
31 - Esposito (14 GP)
22 - Hodge
19 - B. Hull
18 - Henderson
18 - Mikita
February 1969
22 - Cournoyer
21 - B. Hull
21 - Beliveau
20 - Esposito
20 - Mikita
March 1969
29 - Esposito
24 - Hodge
23 - Ratelle
22 - Howe
22 - Gilbert

Phil Esposito's 31 points scored in January 1969 were surely the most points scored in a calendar month by any player ever (or at least since the 'rover' era). Esposito took 71 shots on goal in that month alone, went +20, and had 12 power-play points (nobody else with more than 7). Incidentally, Bobby Orr scored 14 points in 14 games this same month, and went +23 in fourteen games! Ken Hodge scored 14 goals in 14 games that month.

This season really shows Espo and the Bruins heating up as it went along. In the first three months of the season, the leading scorers were:
50 - Howe (35 GP)
49 - B. Hull (32 GP)
46 - Esposito
42 - Pappin
42 - Mikita (32 GP)

Then, from January to the end of the season, the leading scorers were:
80 - Esposito (40 GP)
59 - Hodge (41 GP)
58 - B. Hull
55 - Mikita
54 - Cournoyer (41 GP)
53 - Howe

Gordie Howe cooled off a bit in the back-half (as an almost 41-year-old might), but was still great. However, Esposito in the final 40 games was scoring at roughly 1981 or 1991-Gretzky level, with two points per game (and a +40 in forty games). He also had double the amount of assists than goals.

In their first half of the season, Boston was 22-8-8 (first overall) and was scoring 3.71 goals per game (slightly less than Chicago). But in the second half of the season, Boston, with a 20-10-8 record (second overall to Montreal), scored 4.26 goals per game, far and away more than any other team. And it was still two years before their big offensive explosion!

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
I recall reading in Beliveau's autobiography that the Semi vs the Bruins was one of the most difficult series he ever played in. The Habs knew by this point the Bruins were a more talented team, but clawed their way to victory heavily leaning on their experience.

The series stats show this as well. Despite losing in 6 games, the Bruins outscored Montreal 16-15, with 3 of the Habs wins coming in OT. Beliveau and Richard were a -3 & -2 respectivley, and Henri didn't even have a single point.

My assumption is Savard won the Conn Smythe largely on the back of his 7 points in that series (outscoring Orr 7-4). Though he was also a -3 in the series. Plus, no one else on the Habs really stood out (Beliveau lead them with 15P in 14GP).

This could have been seen as a last hurah type series, similar to the Isles/Oilers in 83...except the Habs started Dryden the next time they met, and we all know the rest.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I recall reading in Beliveau's autobiography that the Semi vs the Bruins was one of the most difficult series he ever played in. The Habs knew by this point the Bruins were a more talented team, but clawed their way to victory heavily leaning on their experience.

The series stats show this as well. Despite losing in 6 games, the Bruins outscored Montreal 16-15, with 3 of the Habs wins coming in OT. Beliveau and Richard were a -3 & -2 respectivley, and Henri didn't even have a single point.

My assumption is Savard won the Conn Smythe largely on the back of his 7 points in that series (outscoring Orr 7-4). Though he was also a -3 in the series. Plus, no one else on the Habs really stood out (Beliveau lead them with 15P in 14GP).

This could have been seen as a last hurah type series, similar to the Isles/Oilers in 83...except the Habs started Dryden the next time they met, and we all know the rest.
Great post! (I'm hoping to get more responses here, so I can justify continuing this 'series'.)

I was wondering about the very thing you mentioned in the Boston-Montreal series, because the stats show that Boston was +17 in the series and Montreal -18, yet the Canadiens won. Montreal scored 6 power play goals to Boston's 3, so I guess that was the difference.

Another tidbit about this unique NHL season of 1968-69 -- note, above, that Red Berenson of St. Louis is the surprise NHL leading 2nd leading scorer in November 1968. That's because he scored 6 goals and 1 assist in a game at the Philly Spectrum on November 7th, with St. Louis winning 8-0. (Scotty Bowman was his coach that night, with Al Arbour and Doug Harvey -- aged almost 44 years old -- his teammates.)

Finally, it's interesting how Dennis Hull led the whole League in scoring in December 1968.

Reactions: Davenport

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
A largely forgotten playoff series was Montreal vs. Boston. Basically this is the Stanley Cup because the Blues got swept by the Habs. Game 6 had double overtime and was settled by Jean Beliveau, which was his only playoff overtime goal of his career.

Here is a good question, who is considered the best player in the NHL that year? Is it Esposito? Or Hull? Or Orr? It may have been a bit of a surprise season for Esposito, however he finished 2nd in 1968 so it isn't as if this was that much of a shock.

CHIMO

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
Mar 7, 2018
Calgary
This is a great thread series, Panther. Really hope it continues. Thank you to everyone who is sharing! Very cool about the Bruins-Habs series being an epic and possibly forgotten series.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Sunshine Coast, Australia
A largely forgotten playoff series was Montreal vs. Boston. Basically this is the Stanley Cup because the Blues got swept by the Habs. Game 6 had double overtime and was settled by Jean Beliveau, which was his only playoff overtime goal of his career.

Here is a good question, who is considered the best player in the NHL that year? Is it Esposito? Or Hull? Or Orr? It may have been a bit of a surprise season for Esposito, however he finished 2nd in 1968 so it isn't as if this was that much of a shock.
Not exactly what youre asking, but theres an old Bruins-centric book I inherited from my Dad that would have been published ~1971 or so, and I was always struck how strong the perception was that Chicago was going to be the biggest obstacle for Boston in the coming years.

ContrarianGoaltender

Feb 28, 2007
tcghockey.com
Looking in more depth at that Boston-Montreal series from 1969, I really didn't realize that how close Boston came to winning it. The Bruins held third period leads in five out of the six games, but blew the lead three times at the Forum (twice in the last 70 seconds of regulation), and all three times the Habs went on to win in OT.

There's no question Savard won his Conn Smythe in that series, as he must have a very strong case for one of the most clutch series in hockey history. In the three games that Boston blew a late lead (2-0 in game 1, 3-2 in game 2, 1-0 in game 6), Montreal scored 7 goals and allowed 0 in the third period/OT. Savard scored 2 of those goals and assisted on 4 others. I'd be very surprised if a defenceman has ever had a series where their offence had more of an impact on their team's win probability than Savard in 1969.

But at least the de facto Stanley Cup Finals ended up being a dramatic series, because 1969 would have been easily the most boring playoffs of all time otherwise. Five of the other six series were sweeps, and to be honest it could have easily been 6 out of 7 if Boston's third period defence was only a little bit stronger in games 1 and 2.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Looking in more depth at that Boston-Montreal series from 1969, I really didn't realize that how close Boston came to winning it. The Bruins held third period leads in five out of the six games, but blew the lead three times at the Forum (twice in the last 70 seconds of regulation), and all three times the Habs went on to win in OT.

There's no question Savard won his Conn Smythe in that series, as he must have a very strong case for one of the most clutch series in hockey history. In the three games that Boston blew a late lead (2-0 in game 1, 3-2 in game 2, 1-0 in game 6), Montreal scored 7 goals and allowed 0 in the third period/OT. Savard scored 2 of those goals and assisted on 4 others. I'd be very surprised if a defenceman has ever had a series where their offence had more of an impact on their team's win probability than Savard in 1969.

But at least the de facto Stanley Cup Finals ended up being a dramatic series, because 1969 would have been easily the most boring playoffs of all time otherwise. Five of the other six series were sweeps, and to be honest it could have easily been 6 out of 7 if Boston's third period defence was only a little bit stronger in games 1 and 2.

Orr was +6 in that series, Savard -3.

But it was pretty common for Montreal to win late (especially in the Forum) in those days.

This was also Orr's biggest penalty minute season, 133 in 67 games (9th in the league)

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I think most people still felt Hull was the best player in the game.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not exactly what youre asking, but theres an old Bruins-centric book I inherited from my Dad that would have been published ~1971 or so, and I was always struck how strong the perception was that Chicago was going to be the biggest obstacle for Boston in the coming years.

Yeah, not quite, haha. But it makes sense, the Hawks were very strong at that time.

I think most people still felt Hull was the best player in the game.

That could be.

Wow, that's closer than I thought too. I hadn't looked into the game by game scenario. But yeah, props to Savard, my guess is this was one instance where he won his Smythe prior to the finals. Ironically the two Cups the Bruins won at that time they never played the Habs. 1970 the Habs missed the playoffs and 1972 they lost to the Rangers first round. Since Boston was in the middle of a 45 year drought of beating the Habs in the playoffs I have to wonder what happens if they play each other in any of those years. It just seemed psychological.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The Hockey Guy on YouTube has been posting season in review episodes for each past season over the summer. He just did the 68-69 season earlier this week:

Reactions: MadLuke

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
In 1967-68 - according to Hockey Reference - the East Division (Original Six) teams played each other ten times, and played each of the West Division teams four times. Apparently, at the request of the new teams - who had their best attendance when O6 teams were visiting - the schedule for 1968-69 was changed so that each of the East Division teams played each of the West Division teams six times, while teams played their division opponents eight times each. Did those 12 extra "soft" games account for the inflated statistics?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In 1967-68 - according to Hockey Reference - the East Division (Original Six) teams played each other ten times, and played each of the West Division teams four times. Apparently, at the request of the new teams - who had their best attendance when O6 teams were visiting - the schedule for 1968-69 was changed so that each of the East Division teams played each of the West Division teams six times, while teams played their division opponents eight times each. Did those 12 extra "soft" games account for the inflated statistics?
Okay, I didn't know that. That's really interesting. I have often wondered why overall scoring did not increase at all in the first year of expansion (actually slightly went down, I think) but then ballooned in the second year.

While this point you raise doesn't seem enough to account for it entirely, it surely was a contributing factor...?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00