Player Discussion: Sean Monahan

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Every FA signing is a risk in any sport. The instant chemistry with Johnny is invaluable and having a true number 1 center is a rarity for this franchise. This is when I trust the GM.

Reactions: CBJx614

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would not be shocked if Monahan asked for a trade out of Columbus sometime in the near future. Johnny was one of the main reasons he signed and it will be painful for him to play in Columbus under these circumstances.
Or, alternatively, he considers sticking around for Johnny's sake. These things can go many different directions.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Can we hold off on the whole everyone will want out of Columbus/request a trade for a bit doom posting? There has been nothing to hint that so far and he probably knew he was coming into his last contract knowing he wasn't going to get into a playoff run probably for 1-2 years as he's there to mentor Fantilli and co. If anything he would probably want to double down on that now to honor his friend. Remember Waddell just got rid of people who didn't want to hang around for a rebuild even if it cost him picks and a retainment slot. You don't think he signed Monahan without asking him "do you want to be a Blue Jacket for the next 5 years?"

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I would not be shocked if Monahan asked for a trade out of Columbus sometime in the near future. Johnny was one of the main reasons he signed and it will be painful for him to play in Columbus under these circumstances.
The other main reason Monahan came here was that Johnny as well as the Gudbransons, thought Columbus was the perfect place to come and not just play hockey, but to raise their families. That much hasn't changed.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Can we hold off on the whole everyone will want out of Columbus/request a trade for a bit doom posting? There has been nothing to hint that so far and he probably knew he was coming into his last contract knowing he wasn't going to get into a playoff run probably for 1-2 years as he's there to mentor Fantilli and co. If anything he would probably want to double down on that now to honor his friend. Remember Waddell just got rid of people who didn't want to hang around for a rebuild even if it cost him picks and a retainment slot. You don't think he signed Monahan without asking him "do you want to be a Blue Jacket for the next 5 years?"
I can imagine at least a couple dozen different reactions (after the initial shock and grief, of course) that Sean Monahan might have given where he finds himself and why and the new reality. One of them is "I don't know if I wanna be here without Johnny." I'm not sure wondering about that is "doom posting." (And yes, that's just one of many possible things that might be knocking around Monahan's brain and heart in the next few months, and I know most of the others don't involve bailing on the CBJ, but I'd be lying if I said it hadn't occurred to me.)

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Obviously nobody knows where his head space is right now. But I do think it’s important to point out that Monahan was very quick to say he came here for more reasons other than Johnny. Obviously Johnny was a big part of the decision but it wasn’t the only decision.

Maybe he’s going to be one of the players we hear from today.

Reactions: CBJx614

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Can you hold off on telling me what not to say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad