Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure MSL was not happy we moved him but understood the future we got. I think Monahan likes it in Montreal and also likes the players in our young core.... as well as our coach.

Yeah, bring him back for 2 years and flip Dvorak for a pick.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes I wouldn't give Monahan 5 years. 1 or 2.

Yes, I would retain on Dvo.

No, I wouldn't call Monahan a slight upgrade on Dvo.

But would he sign a 1-2 year deal again? Doubtful.

Slight upgrade on Dvo 😂😂😂
That's quite the insult to Monahan brother.

Wow. There must be some serious quantum physics at work here cuz we ain't seeing the same things me thinks.

If we want to win a cup, he's not on our top6 and he's not what we need on our bottom 6.

Signing him would be a step in the wrong direction.

Reactions: JRichard and 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If we want to win a cup, he's not on our top6 and he's not what we need on our bottom 6.

I think he might get a 3 or 4 year term from some teams but I don't think his injury concerns have completely disappeared. I think a 2 or 3 year term is what he gets. What AAV? Not sure. Something around $4M or $4.5M. It's going to come down to a team offering 3x $5M that is not a contender vs 2x $4M from a contender.

Signing him was not a step in the wrong direction when we signed him last year. The issue with Monahan in the top 6 is playing him 2nd line center like the Jets did (Looks even worse against the speedy Avs). He's more of a sound 3C or a power winger in the top 6. Habs used him in both roles and he can help this roster. He won't be blocking either of Kapanen or Beck. Why? Because they need a year or two of development time and even if they make it at 3C while we still have Monahan, he can play wing on any of the top 3 lines

A matured center who doesn't complain if he plays wing, good on faceoffs, and physically strong. Still in his prime. Yeah, this is would not be a step in the wrong direction

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think he might get a 3 or 4 year term from some teams but I don't think his injury concerns have completely disappeared. I think a 2 or 3 year term is what he gets. What AAV? Not sure. Something around $4M or $4.5M. It's going to come down to a team offering 3x $5M that is not a contender vs 2x $4M from a contender.

Signing him was not a step in the wrong direction when we signed him last year. The issue with Monahan in the top 6 is playing him 2nd line center like the Jets did (Looks even worse against the speedy Avs). He's more of a sound 3C or a power winger in the top 6. Habs used him in both roles and he can help this roster. He won't be blocking either of Kapanen or Beck. Why? Because they need a year or two of development time and even if they make it at 3C while we still have Monahan, he can play wing on any of the top 3 lines

A matured center who doesn't complain if he plays wing, good on faceoffs, and physically strong. Still in his prime. Yeah, this is would not be a step in the wrong direction

Last time, we signed him with the intention of trading him away. I believe we are past that stage. Signing him to keep him would be a mistake.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last time, we signed him with the intention of trading him away. I believe we are past that stage. Signing him to keep him would be a mistake.

I don't think that was the intention when we signed him. They wanted to move up the standings and their season got derailed with Dach going down very early. That had ripple effects.

I think MSL was not happy when we traded Monahan but he understood. Hughes also said we couldn't offer him what he was after... playoffs. So maybe he doesn't want to come back if he is chasing a cup. I think a lot of cup contending teams are going to low ball him offers. He might take it. Doesn't seem like the type to be greedy and go after max deals. I think he wants to win.

If I had to guess. Avs sign him for 2 years at $4M. Or the Bruins.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Pretty sure MSL was not happy we moved him but understood the future we got. I think Monahan likes it in Montreal and also likes the players in our young core.... as well as our coach.

Yeah, bring him back for 2 years and flip Dvorak for a pick.
Dvorak is a non-factor warm body making 4.5M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dvorak is a non-factor warm body making 4.5M.

Solid 3C for many teams in this league. Injuries has derailed things a bit with his time on the Habs. He has more value than most will admit.

Games played per season so far:
* 78 (Age 20 with Coyotes)
* 78 (Age 21 with Coyotes)
* 20 (Age 22 with Coyotes)
* 70 (Age 23 with Coyotes)
* 56 (Age 24 with Coyotes)
* 56 (Age 25 with Habs)
* 64 (Age 26 with Habs)
* 30 (Age 27 with Habs)

His 1st season with the Habs was OK. 31 pts with 17 goals in 56 games. Then the injuries piled up.

Reactions: themilosh

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

He was forced to sign a 1 year deal last summer at 2M, essentially a "prove it" deal, then proceeded to play 83 regular season games + the playoffs and had his best season since 2018.

He didn't do all that just to sign a 1 or 2 year deal. He's going to seek and get IMO, a longer term deal, it just won't be from the Habs.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore

The argument here isn't about what we need or not. It's about him being a hairline better than Devo. Devo was gone for how long? How many people noticed? Even better, how many noticed when he was back?

I disagree that he isn't what we need. Dude was quite good on the PP. and if my memory serves me right...Habs are abysmal on the PP. He also can move up and down in the lineup and isn't a massive liability.

Obviously term is the issue but I'd be happy up to 3 years. Which is exactly when we'll be entering our competitive window.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The argument here isn't about what we need or not. It's about him being a hairline better than Devo. Devo was gone for how long? How many people noticed? Even better, how many noticed when he was back?

I disagree that he isn't what we need. Dude was quite good on the PP. and if my memory serves me right...Habs are abysmal on the PP. He also can move up and down in the lineup and isn't a massive liability.

Obviously term is the issue but I'd be happy up to 3 years. Which is exactly when we'll be entering our competitive window.
Only player in the league who played 83 regular season games. He has a few decent years ahead of him. Players loved him while he was a Hab.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Are you prepared to give assets to "dump Dvorak"? Because that is what is going to happen if we trade him in July with no retention.

Monahan also does nothing for us except just being a slight upgrade on Dvorak in transition years. He would likely ask for 5+ years which would be terribly dumb to sign.

If you want to win the Cup in your lifetime, Monahan is not coming back (unless on a 1 year deal to be traded at TDL).
It would be awesome to generate a 3rd first round pick with Monahan!

Reactions: 26Mats

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I never said he was only an hairline better than Dvorak. I think you fixated a bit too much on the word slight.

I think we can find better than him, whether it's age, contract, ability or overall fit with the team.

I won't rage if he comes back, but he wouldn't be one of my target.

He's also UFA this summer and I don't really expect a spot opens up for him until TDL.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Monahan is good at face offs, open to playing different positions, and decent point production. But there will definitely be a team willing to pay more than Habs and for longer term, probably closer to contention. That said, I expect Habs to fight for playoffs starting next year and he probably sees that as well. Just very reluctant to sign him at this age for anything beyond three years and that's probably a non-starter, unless we pay a premium for those three years (8 x 3 or so).

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

For 5 years yes, but if he is willing to come and be a mentor for a couple of years I would have him in a heart beat. You can plug him in where needed for injuries or other issues. In my opinion he is a real pro and would be an awesome example of perseverance and dedication. Probably not what he is looking for but if by chance it is, jump at it. Chances are he could extend his career by taking a lesser role.

Reactions: themilosh

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Monahan is good at face offs, open to playing different positions, and decent point production. But there will definitely be a team willing to pay more than Habs and for longer term, probably closer to contention. That said, I expect Habs to fight for playoffs starting next year and he probably sees that as well. Just very reluctant to sign him at this age for anything beyond three years and that's probably a non-starter, unless we pay a premium for those three years (8 x 3 or so).
I don't believe this to be the case. If you look at the cap of these supposedly contending teams, how many of them can fit a player with the expected salary of 5m with term? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say probably nome of them. Mo will likely sign with someone like Utah if it's gonna be at that price and term.

If he wants to be part of a contender he's more likely to take the Corey Perry path.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It looks that Toffoli is closer to come back as a Hab than Monahan.

Opsec, he's coming back.

1000004609.jpg

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
He was very popular and a solid leader. He and his wife loved the city. Two consecutive 30 goal seasons.
he was at the wedding of Jack Evans last week and Arpon Basu suggested Hugues should absolutely call his agent as soon as he can
Still seems more speculation that either side would be interested. The reason the Devils traded him was because he wants a long term deal which I'm not really interested in Toffoli in more than 2 years. In just over 10 days we will have a much better idea what the plan is for the next year

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4