Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Engels was on Tony's show and he mentioned that the Canadiens were happy with his development this year in the AHL outside of the injuries and think he'll be a NHL player.
He has the smarts and the overall skill set. You'd want him to be a bit bigger and a bit faster, but there's a spot or two for a guy like that on a lineup, with the right linemates. Ditto Joshua Roy, really.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has the smarts and the overall skill set. You'd want him to be a bit bigger and a bit faster, but there's a spot or two for a guy like that on a lineup, with the right linemates. Ditto Joshua Roy, really.

Caufield and Hutson are enough. Sorry Farrell but he has to be elite level if he is part of my future core plans. He's going to be the next Harris after Harris is traded

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Caufield and Hutson are enough. Sorry Farrell but he has to be elite level if he is part of my future core plans. He's going to be the next Harris after Harris is traded

He was a 4th round pick. Always a long shot. Just happy Roy made. One from that lot of lates is great.

I have no expectations of Farrell, Kidney, Simoneau, and Mesar. But if one makes it that would be a bonus, perhaps a good trade chip.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Engels was on Tony's show and he mentioned that the Canadiens were happy with his development this year in the AHL outside of the injuries and think he'll be a NHL player.

I kept saying in the Laval threads that he was one of the only players consistently creating offense after he returned from injury but he had almost no help. Farrell was easily one of our best players this year, no question.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I kept saying in the Laval threads that he was one of the only players consistently creating offense after he returned from injury but he had almost no help. Farrell was easily one of our best players this year, no question.
It will be interesting to see if he can improve his speed and ability to absorbe contact with gaining weight with age and weight training. And also gaining wisdom from experience. Evans was able to improve his speed drastically in his early to mid 20's.

Reactions: montreal

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Won't be surprised if him or Heineman make a case for a spot in the NHL in training camp or early in the season.

There isn't much hype for them this off-season compared to last, but it was their first full seasons in the AHL and both dealt with some injuries during the year.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

He's a very intriguing prospect. The kind of guy who might well take several years (& some luck in avoiding major injury) before he can translate it all into NHL impact... But if we can stay patient and he can stay healthy, in 2-3 years from now we might have a gem on our hands

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He's a very intriguing prospect. The kind of guy who might well take several years (& some luck in avoiding major injury) before he can translate it all into NHL impact... But if we can stay patient and he can stay healthy, in 2-3 years from now we might have a gem on our hands
This season will be make or break for him IMO.

If he can stay healthy and take the next step, he has a good chance. If he stagnates, it’s going to be problematic for him.

To put things into perspective, Desharnais was a PPG player in the AHL at the same age.

Reactions: ReHabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He always passed the eye test down there for me.

He doesn't pass the eye test for me as clearly he has a major issue with speed, but that didn't prevent him from being one of our best players.

It will be interesting to see if he can improve his speed and ability to absorbe contact with gaining weight with age and weight training. And also gaining wisdom from experience. Evans was able to improve his speed drastically in his early to mid 20's.

If he can't improve his speed he will never get out of the AHL full time.

It's all about the speed/skating now, if he doesn't improve a good bit there he will likely never be a full time NHLer but if he can then you might have something decent. Very smart player, vision, playmaking, offensive IQ, work ethic, two way game are all high end but being short, not quick or overly strong is a big problem to overcome. So do in time and of course most don't.

If he can stay healthy and take the next step, he has a good chance. If he stagnates, it’s going to be problematic for him.

To put things into perspective, Desharnais was a PPG player in the AHL at the same age.

Too early to say make or break imo. I also wouldn't compare prospects to each other, what DD did back then means nothing to what Farrell has to do.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

This is the opposite of the patience I was referring to...

It will take a few years of work for him to both improve physically and learn how to offset his speed/strength limitations.

DD, I believe, hit ppg in his 23 year old season, Farrell was 22 last season & turns 23 this year... It was also DD's 3rd pro season vs Farrell's 1st. Smallish, smart players often do need a bit of time playing against men to adjust & adapt their game. I'd be shocked if Farrell isn't considerably better this year, though I still think he's 2-3 years away from showing if he has everyday top 9 NHLer in him.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
This is the opposite of the patience I was referring to...

It will take a few years of work for him to both improve physically and learn how to offset his speed/strength limitations.

DD, I believe, hit ppg in his 23 year old season, Farrell was 22 last season & turns 23 this year... It was also DD's 3rd pro season vs Farrell's 1st. Smallish, smart players often do need a bit of time playing against men to adjust & adapt their game. I'd be shocked if Farrell isn't considerably better this year, though I still think he's 2-3 years away from showing if he has everyday top 9 NHLer in him.

If you follow the stats for smaller skilled players based on their age this is a turning point year for him. Thats not to say he can’t be an outlier. The chances of him hitting reduce if he doesn’t take a step this season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If you follow the stats for smaller skilled players based on their age this is a turning point year for him. Thats not to say he can’t be an outlier. The chances of him hitting reduce if he doesn’t take a step this season.
Care to provide a link to that stat analysis?

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Care to provide a link to that stat analysis?

AHL seasons sub 5’10 players, current NHLers:

Tyler Johnson 21yr 0.91ppg
Jonathan Marchessault 20yr 0.84ppg
Cam Atkinson 22yr 0.86ppg
Mats Zuccarello 23yr 0.81ppg (36 games, first season NA - massive SEL production prior)
Conor Sheary 22yr 0.83ppg
Yani Gourde 23yr 0.75ppg
Brad Marchand 20yr 0.75ppg
Victor Arvidsson 21yr 0.78ppg
Conor Garland 22yr 1.19ppg (only 21 games)

Farrell 0.59ppg last season @ 22yrs old.

Like I said, he needs to make a major step forward in the AHL this season or make the NHL and show he belongs there… otherwise the odds he makes it are not good.

I like the player a lot, lots of skill, smart on both sides of the puck. But he’s small and he’s not super fast, if he can get quicker and make adjustments I hope he can join that tier of players I listed that made it.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Won't be surprised if him or Heineman make a case for a spot in the NHL in training camp or early in the season.

There isn't much hype for them this off-season compared to last, but it was their first full seasons in the AHL and both dealt with some injuries during the year.
I can see both needing time in the NHL if they can handle the rigors. But if these players want any success they either find another club where they can play in the NHL or do their best to stay healthy and produce in the AHL for that call-up.

We have been building a competitive culture for a little while now and its time to put all of it into action. Excited for the next two years.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I wanna know why they gave him the A and put him on the First Line and 1st PP wave AND had him shoot first in the SO?

He should of been better those 2 games, he was really bad for a 23 years old AHLer playing vs rookies/ prospects

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I wanna know why they gave him the A and put him on the First Line and 1st PP wave AND had him shoot first in the SO?

He should of been better those 2 games, he was really bad for a 23 years old AHLer playing vs rookies/ prospects
I disagree. He was the best passer on the PP and his line with Beck and Heineman was the most consistently good line out there.

Mesar was also very good, as I am sure you are thinking about.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
He doubled his point total in his second season in the USHL then again in the NCAA. Let's see if he does the same in the AHL.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
One-way ticket to bustville.

He had a few nice passes but the way the lines are shaping up, unless he outshines Newhook and Roy, which he won't, there's no more space for a player with his profile.

Reactions: Bombshell11

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
One-way ticket to bustville.

He had a few nice passes but the way the lines are shaping up, unless he outshines Newhook and Roy, which he won't, there's no more space for a player with his profile.
Still has what 1 or 2 years to improve his game.

He has to become more explosive.

Reactions: lombrek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad