Value of: Sean Couturier to the Sabres

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Can’t blame you at all. Although maybe we that changes if you don’t win the lottery?

I don't see why it would. We didn't even give up a piece that good for ROR (best piece was recent mid-1st pick Nikikta Zadorov), and ROR was 5 years younger than Coots currently is when we made that trade (making him much more projectable as a real core player going forward from the rebuild). I think the only teams that would be willing to give up futures of that caliber are teams that are unlikely to have them.

Coots is an amazing player, but I don't see a fit there with Buffalo.

Reactions: Chainshot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sabres would be nuts to end the tank the season of the Bedard/Michkov draft.

Stick it out one more year then do a trade like this.

I get that you guys are sick of tanking and don't want to intentionally lose anymore, which is respectable, but it's the wrong year to want to shortcut the rebuild.

Yeah I'm aware of your guys' feelings on it and I get it. It's been a long time of losing and your management hasn't earned the trust that they can turn anything around.

Maybe tank is the wrong word since you were forced into it by the players themselves, but you just traded your best on ice players for wads of futures. It's strategically the wrong timing to trade significant futures to shortcut the rebuild.

buffalo is not tanking.

they have a strong young core and need it to develop.

circumstances played a big part of trading Eichel. If they traded a healthy Eichel they woukd have gotten more back.

I disagree in the OPs offer. I have no desire on signing/ acquiring a 29+ yr old player to a 5 + yr contract.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't see why it would. We didn't even give up a piece that good for ROR (best piece was recent mid-1st pick Nikikta Zadorov), and ROR was 5 years younger than Coots currently is when we made that trade (making him much more projectable as a real core player going forward from the rebuild). I think the only teams that would be willing to give up futures of that caliber are teams that are unlikely to have them.

Coots is an amazing player, but I don't see a fit there with Buffalo.
Couts is obviously better than ROR at that point and think now as well. Not sure how often Selke winners get traded but it would cost a lot. I wouldn’t do it if I were Buffalo, but that’s the topic for this thread.

member 334057

Makes little sense for Buffalo. He's a great player but he doesn't really fit into the core age-wise even at the upper end. The cost would be too prohibitive and likely take pieces away from the young core they are already building. Even if all the young pieces develop quickly it's still 2 - 3 years before they are going to be playing like a playoff caliber team at minimum is my guess, despite how much the fans want to turn the corner faster.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Sabres would be nuts to end the tank the season of the Bedard/Michkov draft.

Stick it out one more year then do a trade like this.

I get that you guys are sick of tanking and don't want to intentionally lose anymore, which is respectable, but it's the wrong year to want to shortcut the rebuild.

They tanked for McDavid/Eichel. That was SEVEN drafts ago. It got them nowhere. They're still a lottery team like they have been for over a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad