Claimed off Waivers: [SEA] Kraken claim Austin Czarnik off waivers from Islanders

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
For those interested, this cost Seattle $15,000, paid to New York and not counted against the cap.

Since you always post these in the claim threads, I figure you might know... Does Seattle literally pay the Islanders that money like through a check or transfer or something is that just some terminology? And if do, why would they have to pay them anything instead of just paying out the rest of the player's contract to the player himself?

Also, if you know what might determine the amount paid to the team

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Since you always post these in the claim threads, I figure you might know... Does Seattle literally pay the Islanders that money like through a check or transfer or something is that just some terminology? And if do, why would they have to pay them anything instead of just paying out the rest of the player's contract to the player himself?

Also, if you know what might determine the amount paid to the team
I believe the League has it's own financial system in place, so it's probably just as easy a simply automated transfer through Central Registry, but truly I'm not sure about that.

You can think of them sort of as like a transfer fee in soccer, though more involuntary. It is compensation to the original owning club, for losing the player.
The amount is measured based on the players position (goalies typically cost more than skaters), and years of service - the idea being if you lose a young, inexperienced player on waivers, you would likely have put in development time on that player, but would not have had the chance to reap the benefits, so you get more compensation.
And older player claimed on waivers has likely either played and contributed to the team or has amounted to a (for very much a lack of a better term) lesser player who requires lesser compensation

The compensation amounts are laid out in the CBA, and there's been no updates to that table since the 2012 CBA in the MOU or ratified extensions (at least not that I've ever seen; that would genuinely be hilarious if all of these posts I make are with wrong numbers :laugh:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD and jd22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad