Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] F Eeli Tolvanen re-signs with the Kraken (2 years, $3.475M AAV)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The glazing of this guy is insane.

40 points and 15:00 ice time per game.

Seattle fans will tell you he wasn’t particularly good last year, lots have him penciled in on the 4th line for upcoming season.

Pretty replaceable and forgettable player
While I agree for the most part it still makes Hynes look stupid that he couldn't find a single spot for him, while Glass, Sherwood, McCarron, Jankowski, and Cole Smith all had roles.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Seattle fans will tell you he wasn’t particularly good last year, lots have him penciled in on the 4th line for upcoming season.

U clearly haven’t seen him play.

Strong defensively
Sniper shot
Plays the body

NHL level player. Not everyone has to be a super star to be valued.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Umm. Seattle fans on HFBoards will not say any of this. He is a solid 2-way player and chipped in 40 points on a shitty Kraken team. I didn't follow him on the Preds but a lot of their fans mentioned that he was misused on their team and should have never been waived.

Either way, he is currently a tweener who performs really well on the 3rd line and can fill in on the 2nd as required.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
There is a lot more too it than point totals. Sherwood was basically worthless if he didn't put points up, made some stupid plays, etc which is why he isn't back. Tolvanen would fit in pretty well with the style Brunette wants to play I think, and has a two way game ( which Trotz would like ).

It was a dumb decision by Poile, one that didn't need to be made, he had other options besides waiving him. We definitely could have used him last season, I mean we were playing Jankowski in a top 6 spot.
I think you're just overrating Tolvanen because of Hynes (and probably Poile) hate. Which is understandable. He's decent defensively and he hits (not nearly as much as the aforementioned Sherwood) but he isn't bringing a ton to the table besides points either.

Maybe Tolvanen would've fit in great with Brunette, I doubt it, but It's possible. What I can tell you for 100% certain: Jankowski outscored Tolvanen at even strength on a pts/60 basis last year. And it wasn't close.

sakux

Feb 5, 2013

No glazing going on here. But obviously he's been good enough for Kraken to regret their decision to give him away for free

Reactions: mattihp

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think you're just overrating Tolvanen because of Hynes (and probably Poile) hate. Which is understandable. He's decent defensively and he hits (not nearly as much as the aforementioned Sherwood) but he isn't bringing a ton to the table besides points either.

Maybe Tolvanen would've fit in great with Brunette, I doubt it, but It's possible. What I can tell you for 100% certain: Jankowski outscored Tolvanen at even strength on a pts/60 basis last year. And it wasn't close.
Jankowski also played for a far better team as well, and probably had better linemates ( Novak/Evangelista). I also don't know what kind of system Seattle plays, but something tells me it wasn't the all out aggressive system that Jankowski was playing in.

Sherwood's hitting gets a lot more praise than it should, he wasted an insane amount of time and energy chasing hits that didn't need to be made or weren't productive. He did good to stay out of the coaches dog house, and frankly only really had a spot because everyone else they tried was worse.

I'm not overrating Tolvanen, he's just not as useless as several here want to make him to be. He's turned out to be a solid 3rd line player, and while not what everyone hoped initially, he still provides value over your standard AHL/NHL tweener.

Hynes is garbage, and Minnesota is about to find that out the hard way, just like New Jersey fans told us when we hired him. I have no hate for Poile, he just made some mistakes he shouldn't have made over his tenure, waiving Tolvanen was one of the smaller ones tbh but no less stupid.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Jankowski also played for a far better team as well, and probably had better linemates ( Novak/Evangelista). I also don't know what kind of system Seattle plays, but something tells me it wasn't the all out aggressive system that Jankowski was playing in.

Sherwood's hitting gets a lot more praise than it should, he wasted an insane amount of time and energy chasing hits that didn't need to be made or weren't productive. He did good to stay out of the coaches dog house, and frankly only really had a spot because everyone else they tried was worse.

I'm not overrating Tolvanen, he's just not as useless as several here want to make him to be. He's turned out to be a solid 3rd line player, and while not what everyone hoped initially, he still provides value over your standard AHL/NHL tweener.

Hynes is garbage, and Minnesota is about to find that out the hard way, just like New Jersey fans told us when we hired him. I have no hate for Poile, he just made some mistakes he shouldn't have made over his tenure, waiving Tolvanen was one of the smaller ones tbh but no less stupid.
There's one place where Tolvanen has a hard time finding his groove. It's the left wing. He probably has played right wing since he was a kid. Preds would not play him there no matter what. Tolvanen is odd in that way. Once he gets going it doesn't matter where he plays. When he started on the Kraken it was almost exclusively on the right wing and sure enough, his start to his Seattle career was quite good.

Reactions: Armourboy

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Same. But I wonder if he is a candidate to get traded this TDL or next. I currently have him on the 4th line, which he makes too much money for.

McCann-Stephenson-Bjorkstrand
Schwartz-Beniers-Burakovsky
Gourde-Wright-Eberle
Tolvy-Kartye-Winterton/Whoever

That being said, since either Schwartz or Burakovsky is likely to get injured, he will very likely end up somewhere in the middle 6.

Umm. Seattle fans on HFBoards will not say any of this. He is a solid 2-way player and chipped in 40 points on a shitty Kraken team. I didn't follow him on the Preds but a lot of their fans mentioned that he was misused on their team and should have never been waived.

Either way, he is currently a tweener who performs really well on the 3rd line and can fill in on the 2nd as required.

You literally posted the bolded on the Kraken board. That he might be traded and start on the 4th line...doesn't sound that coveted.

U clearly haven’t seen him play.

Strong defensively
Sniper shot
Plays the body

NHL level player. Not everyone has to be a super star to be valued.

I'm not even saying he's a bad player, just that for what he is, the comments acting like Nashville let some cornerstone player go. he's an average player in this league and likely always will be.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You literally posted the bolded on the Kraken board. That he might be traded and start on the 4th line...doesn't sound that coveted.

I'm not even saying he's a bad player, just that for what he is, the comments acting like Nashville let some cornerstone player go. he's an average player in this league and likely always will be.
You may have missed the context.

I said maybe. I would like to keep Tolvy over Eberle, Tanev and Schwartz. The maybe part is there because if push came to shove and we needed to create cap space there may be no option because of the NTC’s or other players have. That part turned redundant when we traded Dumo.

Regarding playing him on the 4th line, it will be just because Schwartz is useless on the 4th line. Tolvy you on the other hand has produced wherever we have put him in the bottom-9. There is no doubt Tolvy belongs in the middle-6.

Also, I don’t understand why you are interested in shitting on him. He is a very useful player for us since Day one and has done whatever was asked of him. He was also a waiver pickup we spent no assets on. Even if his ceiling was just a 40 point third liner, which I believe is not accurate, he has proven to be a useful player for us. Even if a team has a surplus of such players, waiving one is just poor asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad