Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] F Chandler Stephenson signs with the Kraken (7 years, $6.25M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
As a Kraken fan looking at this contract....
giphy.webp

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Ron Francis woke up this am and drank a full pot of coffee with a few Red Bulls. Yikes, someone in the organization should have taken the check book away from him. 93.75 million tied up on two 30 year old's in Montour and Stephenson till 2031. Ouch.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ron Francis woke up this am and drank a full pot of coffee with a few Red Bulls. Yikes, someone in the organization should have taken the check book away from him. 93.75 million tied up on two 30 year old's in Montour and Stephenson till 2031. Ouch.
Nah, he woke up and drank an entire bottle of vodka. What a terrible deal.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I originally thought it was a pretty good get for Seattle, who needed a real 2C, but this takes Chandler to age 37 which is pretty yikes. Honestly though, 6.25m for a 60 point guy (if you can get that guy) is a steal...for now...

Reactions: The Marquis

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If I was a team owner I'd seriously consider taking away my GM's phone on July 1st.

It is Seattle's ownership that is pushing for the bad, win now UFA contracts though. They do not care about the long term future of the NHL team, just making the playoffs and filling their barn so they can prove to the NBA that Seattle is a great sports market and that they should get an NBA expansion franchise. The 2 Billion they spent on getting the Kraken and building Climate Pledge arena will end up being a terrible investment if they can't land that NBA prize. The hockey team was never their primary objective.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
This deal is going to look even worse when Beniers and Wright both break out and Stephenson is the declining 3C getting paid this much. Not that ownership cares, but oh boy. Feels pretty bad for Kraken fans.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
rough deal from the outside but probably a business move. They cant fall to the back this early in the franchise history. Trying to compete helps. None of these free agents will go there unless they get overpaid.

Beniers Stephenson and Wright. Then Catton in a few years. 🤷‍♂️

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
really liked Stephenson but not at that contract. thought he was a 4 or 4.5 million winger who can pt up some numbers with a quality center. Way to long and AAV is simply to high no matter what the cap does.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
What the hell is Seattle doing, using the jim Benning plan on how not to build a team? Should be sitting out today and signing guys to cheap one year deals tomorrow and then flipping at the deadline for more picks. They're nowhere near contending and they're going to be just good enough not to get top 10 picks that you build a franchise around.

Reactions: Voight and JoeMc

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
I originally thought it was a pretty good get for Seattle, who needed a real 2C, but this takes Chandler to age 37 which is pretty yikes. Honestly though, 6.25m for a 60 point guy (if you can get that guy) is a steal...for now...
Chandler Stephenson is 30?? Time flies

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

He's not putting up 60 pts without Stone. He's a 3C who will give you average D, 45 points and never shoot the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad