Claimed off Waivers: [SEA] Dennis Cholowski claimed off waivers by the Kraken from the Capitals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
This move lets them move on Giordano at the deadline.
Cholowski gets some AHL simmer time to tune his game before coming back up to play reliever and show what he can do down the stretch.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I feel like he would have done better dling that during the draft, especially if he could pick players like Domi and Tarasenko :huh:
He can still do that but he has 5-6 pending free agents who can be moved at the deadline. Claiming some guys on waivers will fill their roster spots until some of the offseason moves can be made.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He can still do that but he has 5-6 pending free agents who can be moved at the deadline. Claiming some guys on waivers will fill their roster spots until some of the offseason moves can be made.

Seattle isn't going to be moving that many players at the deadline.

Reactions: Morrison

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
No he cant go back to the draft and pick better players. He can just deal the more inferior players he picked during the draft and get lower returns. Imagine Seattle having Tarasenko and dealing him at the deadline. They would get a higher return than what Giroux or even Miller would get. But thats Ron Francis for you.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Seattle isn't going to be moving that many players at the deadline.
They have 6 expiring contracts (10 if you count the 4 guys in Charlotte) that can be moved and they should all be traded for picks or whatever they can get. But you're right - with Francis as GM yet another opportunity will no doubt be lost.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I was hoping he would be a good young addition to the Capitals but he’s awful. I can’t remember ever seeing a young player trying to get a spot on a new team play with no urgency whatsoever. He probably doesn’t even need to shower after a game.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, any NHL team that actually gives this guy ice time is not a very good NHL team.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I feel like he would have done better dling that during the draft, especially if he could pick players like Domi and Tarasenko :huh:

Most Seattle fans are quite happy with Francis taking Dunn over Tarasenko.

When Dunn has been out of the lineup, they have really missed his puck skills on the Blueline. And no one is kinding themselves in Seattle and thinking Tarasenko would be having anywhere near the same season playing on Seattle's PP with Schwartz and Wennberg instead of in St. Louis.

Domi may have been pretty useful, but Columbus' training staff's medical reports made it clear that Domi was out until at least January, possibly longer. At his cap hit he was an easy pass. The fact that he was ready to go by October should probably have been investigated by the league, but hey, that discussion is for another thread.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Most Seattle fans are quite happy with Francis taking Dunn over Tarasenko.

When Dunn has been out of the lineup, they have really missed his puck skills on the Blueline. And no one is kinding themselves in Seattle and thinking Tarasenko would be having anywhere near the same season playing on Seattle's PP with Schwartz and Wennberg instead of in St. Louis.

Domi may have been pretty useful, but Columbus' training staff's medical reports made it clear that Domi was out until at least January, possibly longer. At his cap hit he was an easy pass. The fact that he was ready to go by October should probably have been investigated by the league, but hey, that discussion is for another thread.

Agree. Remarkable recovery by Domi based on what was being reported at the time. Even Taresenko's health was a little of a question at the time if I recall correctly.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Damn, I remember in that draft expecting the Jets to draft Stanley or Cholowski, and I wanted Cholowski instead because I thought he was the one with a shot to be an NHLer. Rough.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Back in 2016 the Coyotes took Datsyuk’s $7m retirement cap hit to swap the 16th and 20th picks with Detroit. Arizona picked Chychrun at 16 and Detroit took Cholowski at 20.

At the time I thought it was horrible value and Arizona should have gotten more for taking Datsyuk. I even drafted Cholowski in the 2nd round of the moderator mock draft that year and thought that was a steal.

In hindsight we don’t know if Detroit would have selected Chychrun, but the gap between Chychrun and Cholowski is massive.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So what's the deal with Cholowski, actually? Has his skating not really translated? Or just too much expected of a young, raw defenceman too soon? Why does he keep floating back and forth like this? It's weird.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Back in 2016 the Coyotes took Datsyuk’s $7m retirement cap hit to swap the 16th and 20th picks with Detroit. Arizona picked Chychrun at 16 and Detroit took Cholowski at 20.

At the time I thought it was horrible value and Arizona should have gotten more for taking Datsyuk. I even drafted Cholowski in the 2nd round of the moderator mock draft that year and thought that was a steal.

In hindsight we don’t know if Detroit would have selected Chychrun, but the gap between Chychrun and Cholowski is massive.

Detroit 100% would have taken Chychrun at 16. Defense was by far the biggest need. That trade had so many fans seething that they gave up on him to unload cap to waste on extending plugs. They didn’t even need the cap space they traded away.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
So what's the deal with Cholowski, actually? Has his skating not really translated? Or just too much expected of a young, raw defenceman too soon? Why does he keep floating back and forth like this? It's weird.

His skating is his biggest strength, and that's really about the only positive element he brings. Poor decision making, low hockey IQ, lack of defensive awareness, easily pressured off the puck, bad at denying zone entries etc.

He showed a lot of promise at the start of the 18-19 season with 8 points in his first 11 games, being a legitimately effective power play QB despite nonexistent 5v5 production. He was going to be put on waivers and sent down at the start of this season anyways if Seattle didn't pick him, but willing to at least give him a fresh start in a new organization made sense for them. Washington's claim made no sense for either the team or Cholowski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad