Claimed off Waivers: [SEA] Alex Barre-Boulet claimed off waivers by the Kraken from the Lightning

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He can shoot the puck. His skating has always been the question mark, and in Seattle I don't know how much he will need to create his own chances. Either way, I think he becomes a 20 goal scorer at some point. Couldn't really cash in on his chances in TB, and small, scoring wingers are the last thing we need right now. Even so, I think he will be a good player and I wish him all the best.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
It helps for Seattle that they don't have years of development tied up in other players. They can just pickup whomever they want without having the whole sunk costs fallacy worry

Reactions: Marshall and abo9

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I wouldn't say there's zero risk, he's signed for this season and then 2 more seasons at a one way (minors) salary. If he doesn't show he's an NHL player this year that's dead weight. Of course if he does become an NHLer and puts up a non-trivial number points that a major positive valued deal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wouldn't say there's zero risk, he's signed for this season and then 2 more seasons at a one way (minors) salary. If he doesn't show he's an NHL player this year that's dead weight. Of course if he does become an NHLer and puts up a non-trivial number points that a major positive valued deal.
Seattle has no obligation to keep him on the roster though. Cap is not an issue for us this season and we could just waive him again if we need to.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Seattle has no obligation to keep him on the roster though. Cap is not an issue for us this season and we could just waive him again if we need to.

He might not have a taker for free after 3 months of uninspiring NHL play. I don't want to overstate my point, but basically Seattle just committed to betting 1.7 million+ dollars over the next 3 years that he's an NHL player. It's not nothing and it's presumably because if he does take off it's a major win.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You can do worse than picking up young Lightning organization cast-offs who have shown offensive upside at the AHL level.

idk if that is still true. Tampa benefitted from cheap, strong up and coming young players for a bit but had to let go of Gourde/Johnson/Coleman/Goodrow this past off season. The door was wide open for more young up and comers to make the team.

ABB did not make enough of an impression for Tampa to orefer him over the likes of Bellemare a d Raddysh. I wish him success but doubt he becomes anything significant at the NHL level

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Doesn’t Seattle have too priority? Could be 20 teams put in a claim. Including Buffalo. We’ll never know.

Seattle was 3rd in the claim order so if buffalo or anahiem wanted a claim on him Seattle wouldn't have gotten him. It goes by order of which the teams finished last season with Seattle being 3rd.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Seattle was 3rd in the claim order so if buffalo or anahiem wanted a claim on him Seattle wouldn't have gotten him. It goes by order of which the teams finished last season with Seattle being 3rd.
Really? That’s surprising. But I guess that’s what they did for the draft lottery two, so at least it matches. I found that a little odd, too, honestly.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

I thought once you make a waiver claim you move down the list? Buffalo claimed Jonsson-Fjallby earlier, do they not move down the priority list?

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Well looks like Barre-Boulet will be starting tomorrow if at all possible. If not who knows what Seattle will do with 5 players out.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I thought once you make a waiver claim you move down the list? Buffalo claimed Jonsson-Fjallby earlier, do they not move down the priority list?
No. Buffalo is 1st waiver claim at least until November 1st. Then it goes by current season standings.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Why would Buffalo not claim him?
I believe that either Buffalo didn't think ABB was worth the risk, or Coach Granato was just being loyal to the guys he had in camp.

Some Sabres fans would argue that our owners are being cheap.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The thing I liked about ABB in limited NHL appearances is he seemed to get chances. They were usually set up by someone else (Point, a lot), but still. A guy who scored the way he did in the AHL shouldn't have a problem finishing IF he can get himself in position to score, and ABB was doing that. So I think he will be a good pick-up for Seattle, especially if they have somebody who can find him when he's open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad