Value of: Scott Mayfield

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
4/5 years at 4.5 M
Agreed. If somehow there’s a $5M AAV offer out there and he goes for the money then the Isles would be hard pressed to match. They’d need to shed salary; Bailey and maybe Pageau or Palmieri. Sorokin and Dobson are currently due for big raises.

With all that being said, Lou is gonna keep him. I wouldn’t put it past him to continue to attach futures to any deal required that sheds salary.

Oh, and another thing FWIW. Mayfield has said some very complimentary things about the franchise, teammates and living in the local community.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Feel like he’d be on Washington’s radar as they try to rebuild their blue line for the remainder of the Ovechkin era.
Washington have Carlson, Jensen, TvR down the right side. TvR could slide to the left side if they brought in another RHD but I think he’s going to be too pricey for them — they need to update/upgrade their top six. If they sign Mayfield they’ll have someone making more than $4M per year on the third pair (either him or Jensen) which isn’t great for their cap structure.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He will cone hone to stl
He'll stay on LI if the Islanders can afford his FMV contract. That's the biggest question here considering the Islanders cap situation is a bit tight this summer.

“I love it here. My wife loves it here. We’ve kind of set up, we have a house now,” Mayfield told The Post ahead of Saturday’s match against the Canadiens. “We have friends outside of hockey. We love the community. We love what we’re able to do. We have season tIckets that we’re able to have military members at games. So we’ve definitely ingrained ourselves in the community.

“I love the guys in the room, I love the ownership, I love the front office, coaching staff, they coach the way I like. It’s an ideal situation. We like it there a lot.”

Reactions: The Real JT

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He'll stay on LI if the Islanders can afford his FMV contract. That's the biggest question here considering the Islanders cap situation is a bit tight this summer.

Islets project to have $6M in space and need 4 to fill out their 23 man. Thr max Isles could do would be around $3M. Sure they could move a player to open up more space.

he could earn the same amount in his career through this year in 2 seasons on the open market. He can keep his house. It won’t go anywhere. He can sign elsewhere and get money.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Islets project to have $6M in space and need 4 to fill out their 23 man. Thr max Isles could do would be around $3M. Sure they could move a player to open up more space.

he could earn the same amount in his career through this year in 2 seasons on the open market. He can keep his house. It won’t go anywhere. He can sign elsewhere and get money.
Yeah, like I said, the only issue here is the Islanders cap situation.

However, there are options if push comes to shove.

For example, a buyout of Josh Bailey saves like $2.5M in cap, or an additional $1.6M assuming the Josh Bailey replacement makes NHL minimum.

They could also do a Casey Cizikas type contract where the cap hit is lower for more years. Maybe something like 6 years, $18M.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, like I said, the only issue here is the Islanders cap situation.

However, there are options if push comes to shove.

For example, a buyout of Josh Bailey saves like $2.5M in cap, or an additional $1.6M assuming the Josh Bailey replacement makes NHL minimum.

They could also do a Casey Cizikas type contract where the cap hit is lower for more years. Maybe something like 6 years, $18M.
with someone like Bailey…what’s the better option…buying him out or trading him with retention.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
with someone like Bailey…what’s the better option…buying him out or trading him with retention.
Really depends on the deals out there and the cost-benefit in terms of trade price.

Isles can save $2.33M in cap space by buying him out that costs no trade assets.

If it costs a second round pick to trade him and the team has to retain $2M in cap, it's not really worth it to trade him.

If it costs a second round pick to trade him, but the team only has to retain $500k in cap, it might be worth it. That's an additional $2M in cap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Really depends on the deals out there and the cost-benefit in terms of trade price.

Isles can save $2.33M in cap space by buying him out that costs no trade assets.

If it costs a second round pick to trade him and the team has to retain $2M in cap, it's not really worth it to trade him.

If it costs a second round pick to trade him, but the team only has to retain $500k in cap, it might be worth it. That's an additional $2M in cap.

Trade, by a significant margin.

Buyout saves 1.6M
Trade saves 4.2M

you need to factor in replacing him on the roster with a league min/ELC to see what the true space you gain.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Mayfield is a really tricky case to project. There are so many factors up in the air or unclear.

1)Big RHD tend to get paid. Just look at the Gudbranson contract last summer. $4M x 4 for an inferior player. There are tons of teams searching for that "stabilizing" stay-at-home RHD. Question is...how do GMs generally view Mayfield? He doesn't have near the same pedigree as Gudbranson, or even a guy like Manson. Chiarot is another potential comparable, but with more "grit" and "pedigree" as well @ $4.75M.

2)He's the only guy on the market in his real "niche". None of Severson/Klingberg/Dumba really fit the same role as other RHD options. Scarcity can make goofy things happen.

3)He's going to be an old, 30 year old UFA. That makes the term even more complicated to predict. Compounded by the fact he's not what i would describe as the most stellar, effortless skater. How far into his declining mobility years are teams willing to go to land him for the short-term?

4)The salary cap as a whole is still very tight, with some ambiguity about where exactly it's headed.

5)Mayfield has played out his entire career thus far on "bargain deals". Is he going to take this opportunity to cash out and set himself and his family up for life? Or is he going to prioritize playing for a quality team and having a shot at winning? No idea where his head is at...but i could certainly understand if he wanted to chase the biggest payday possible with this contract.

My initial impression would be to expect something like $4-5M for 5 or 4 years, respectively. ~$20M ballpark. But i wouldn't really be shocked to something idiotic in excess of that if it truly turns into a "bidding war". I also wouldn't be shocked to see him re-sign with the Isles for like $3M for 6 years or something. Really could go a lot of ways.

Where the contract ends up will really impact how much interest i'd have in the Canucks pursuing him. No doubt he'd look good beside Hughes, especially compared to what we have as alternatives. But he has a really scary profile as a guy to tie yourself to for more than a few years at any sort of significant money. He's not a real "impact" player, he's on the older side, and not the most gifted skater. He's also played most of his career as a bottom-pairing, fringe Top-4D. Is that really a guy you can invest in to play on your top pair...or are you going to want to keep seeking out "better" options? Are you going to wish you'd just spent a couple million more per year on Severson or tried to find some other option entirely?

Really fascinating Free Agent though. Which means it'll probably end up in some really unremarkable re-signing with the Isles and much ado about nothing. :laugh:

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
As an Oiler fan Mayfield is perfect for what we need if Ceci can’t otherwise be upgraded on. I’d happily throw $4.5M x 5 at him and staple his butt to Darnell Nurse for every minute of that contract:

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Mayfield
Kulak/Broberg-Ceci

It’s not perfect, but I’d be comfortable rolling all three pairs over the boards at any point in a game while the big guns go and do their thing.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is pretty true for Free Agents in general. Tavares didn't offer Toronto a discount. Panarin used the Isles for leverage to get the most he could out of the Rangers, etc etc etc

When you're a free agent, the only discount you're giving is if it's July 7th and you're still not signed.

Toronto literally took less money than both the isles and sharks offered.

He was offered 13 x7 by the sharks

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
you need to factor in replacing him on the roster with a league min/ELC to see what the true space you gain.

I did that already, assuming 800k replacement

The full buyout saving is 2.6M and the full salary is 5M

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Toronto literally took less money than both the isles and sharks offered.

He was offered 13 x7 by the sharks

You keep telling yourself that. He took the original Isles offer for one less year to go to Toronto. Dubas offered him less as a starting point and it wasn't accepted. SJ and the Isles came back with bigger numbers but Tavares took the Toronto offer. I would hardly call that taking a discount

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
On the open market Mayfield will be looking around a $20mil contract. 4x5, 5x4 and so on. Defensive Dman, play physical. Solid on the PK. Not afraid to throw gloves and will chip in 20 pts on the back end. Isles simply cant afford more then say a $3mil per season deal for him. I could see Lou trying to sign him for 3x6 but he'll be 31 at the start of that contract

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You keep telling yourself that. He took the original Isles offer for one less year to go to Toronto. Dubas offered him less as a starting point and it wasn't accepted. SJ and the Isles came back with bigger numbers but Tavares took the Toronto offer. I would hardly call that taking a discount

????? Sooo he took less total money from the isles

He took less total and per year from the sharks

11 million discount from the isles
14 million discount from the sharks

That’s the only 2 we know of

I would say 11-14 million is a pretty big discount

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
NYI shouldn't pay this guy 4m+ imo. Trade Bailey, but use the cap space elsewhere. Bertuzzi if he doesn't re-sign in Boston would be a nice way to allocate Bailey's cap. The top 4 is strong enough that you can find your 3rd pairing guys in the AHL or bargain bin.

My prediction is Mayfield to Nashville to reunite with Trotz. 3.8 x 7.

Last edited:

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Shame he's a right hand shot, otherwise would be perfect for the Caps to put with Carlson or even Jensen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad