Scott Laughton impressing at camp

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Good points above about the kid. It's probably just a 5 game or less look see while Briere is out. No reason to keep him up for the season, we don't need his depth just yet.

But...

Would anyone trade him in a package for Yandle, or OEL? I'm sure most would; how about Laughton, Gus and a 1st for Yandle, 3rd? Any chance? (I'm not usually good with trade proposals)

Can't see any way PHX takes that. Gustafsson would be way, way down in their defensive prospect pool.

If the Coyotes deal Yandle, it will be for a similarly aged NHL forward, I think. Yandle for Krejci or something like that.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Can't see any way PHX takes that. Gustafsson would be way, way down in their defensive prospect pool.

If the Coyotes deal Yandle, it will be for a similarly aged NHL forward, I think. Yandle for Krejci or something like that.

Wow, ok. I'm with ya on Gus, couldnt think of a worthy forward on the roster that I would part with. :) I'm not aware of Phoenix cap situation, but would they take back similar salary?

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
EV
Hartnell - Giroux - BSchenn
Simmonds - Briere - Read
Talbot - Couturier - Voracek
Fedotenko - Laughton - Wellwood
Shelley

Can't Talbot play center? I'd rather see Rinaldo or Sestito up on 4th line wing then ruin Laughton. If he can prove in 5 games he can play, thats great though, a deep line up.

I don't like seeing Voracek on the 3rd line, but if he and Couturier can find some chemistry, thats a very offensively capable 3rd line, with solid defensive awareness.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Can't Talbot play center? I'd rather see Rinaldo or Sestito up on 4th line wing then ruin Laughton. If he can prove in 5 games he can play, thats great though, a deep line up.

I don't like seeing Voracek on the 3rd line, but if he and Couturier can find some chemistry, thats a very offensively capable 3rd line, with solid defensive awareness.

I based the top three lines on what they've been running in training camp. Obviously I had to add Briere.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think Laughton is making this team as our fourth line center. Blame Holmstrom's injury if you must, but the organization sees Talbot as a third line winger. We don't have any other fourth line center outside of Laughton that fits the bill.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Laughton has been impressing all years. Anyone who's watched the Gens this year knows he's going to be a good NHL player. He's very much relied on in Oshawa, along with Jenner and Biggs, to put up points and play a physical two-way game. I think he's going to be a Mike Richards type player, honestly.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
If he can be as responsible as couts was last year, that'd be great. Although you'd hate to burn a year of his development on a shortened season.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think Laughton is making this team as our fourth line center. Blame Holmstrom's injury if you must, but the organization sees Talbot as a third line winger. We don't have any other fourth line center outside of Laughton that fits the bill.

Not really, they just see him a versatile player who can move up if need be (ie when Briere is injured)

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I expect that Laughton has looked great because he has had more than half a junior season already, while most of the Flyers lack game fitness due to the lockout.

The Briere injury doesn't appear to be as bad as originally believed, so it seems likely that Laughon gets his 5 game stint and is returned to the OHL for the remainder of the season.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
I love seeing a young kid come in and produce as much as the next guy (even if it would only be for 8 minutes a night on the 4th line), but wouldn't it be considerably smarter from a cap stand point to not waste a year of his ELC on a shortened season if you didn't have to?

I say 5-game tryout to get Briere healthy and then back to the CHL no matter what (barring unforeseen further injury to the forward depth).

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I expect that Laughton has looked great because he has had more than half a junior season already, while most of the Flyers lack game fitness due to the lockout.

The Briere injury doesn't appear to be as bad as originally believed, so it seems likely that Laughon gets his 5 game stint and is returned to the OHL for the remainder of the season.

You do realize that most of the players were either in Europe playing and at least five were in the AHL. If Scott makes the team it will be because he has earned it not because he is the only one in game shape:shakehead

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
When you consider the guy he's got to beat out for the 12th spot is Zac Rinaldo, it certainly puts his chances of making the team in a new light.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I have to keep reminding myself that Laughton has an extra half a years experience in Juniors over what he would have had at training camp if it were a normal year. These last few months count for a lot.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
When you consider the guy he's got to beat out for the 12th spot is Zac Rinaldo, it certainly puts his chances of making the team in a new light.

Lavi has Rinaldo penciled in as the 11th forward. Laughton is "competing" against Wellwood/Sestito and Shelley, but really he is mostly there because Briere is banged up.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Lavi has Rinaldo penciled in as the 11th forward. Laughton is "competing" against Wellwood/Sestito and Shelley, but really he is mostly there because Briere is banged up.

1. Hartnell - 2. Giroux - 3. BSchenn
4. Simmonds - 5. Briere - 6. Read
7. Talbot - 8. Couturier - 9. Voracek
10. Fedotenko - 11. - 12.
13. Shelley

I see only 11 people guaranteed to make the opening roster out of 13 forward positions open. Rinaldo is not on that list.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
You do realize that most of the players were either in Europe playing and at least five were in the AHL. If Scott makes the team it will be because he has earned it not because he is the only one in game shape:shakehead

Anyone who makes an NHL roster has earned it; I didn't say otherwise.

The European game is a bit different and I would expect anyone playng in North America to have a game shape advantage off the hop, including those guys who dressed for the Phantoms (Couturier, Schenn, Wellwood, Rinaldo).

My point was to not read too much into an impressive start to a training camp. Laughton's a centre, so he's really competing for the 4th line spot. If Briere wasn't hurt, I don't even think he would get a shot at NHL games this year, but the Flyers may give him a chance, maybe even a top 9 chance, until Briere is back... hence the 5 game try-out before being returned to Oshawa.

AbsolutelyNot

Nov 8, 2012
PA
As the case with Couturier last year, they will not be afraid to hand this kid a roster spot if they determine that he can help them win games. I remember the chatter last year, saying Couturier should be sent back to the Q because they didnt want to burn a year. How'd that work out? Who cares if they burn a year, he'll have to be re-signed at some point anyway. Holmgren/Laviolette wouldnt be doing their job if they didnt field the best team possible, regardless of entry level contracts.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
13. Shelley

I see only 11 people guaranteed to make the opening roster out of 13 forward positions open. Rinaldo is not on that list.

Laviolette loves Rinaldo, he's in. Also, Rusty spent the KHL time playing C, why can't he centre the checking line? Wellwood has to beat out Sestito to stay on the roster. I don't see Laughton making the team, but if he earns a spot, they may give him a couple games before Briere comes back.

11.Rinaldo - 10.Fedotenko - 12. Wellwood/Sestito
13. Shelley

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Laviolette loves Rinaldo, he's in. Also, Rusty spent the KHL time playing C, why can't he centre the checking line? Wellwood has to beat out Sestito to stay on the roster. I don't see Laughton making the team, but if he earns a spot, they may give him a couple games before Briere comes back.

11.Rinaldo - 10.Fedotenko - 12. Wellwood/Sestito
13. Shelley

Every impression I got was that Lavi loves Wellwood. Yes, they all love Rinaldo, but Wellwood fits into the system better.

Seeing as how the Penguins are test number one though, Rinaldo may get the nod for obvious reasons.

That said, I've seen no evidence to suggest that the organization likes Fedotenko or Talbot as the fourth line center long-term.

Until you offer me some evidence of that, you can't argue that Laughton has no role on this team. Rinaldo and Wellwood certainly aren't playing fourth line center. Sestito or Shelley? Clearly not. Holmstrom is hurt. Read could in theory, but he's being used as a top 9 winger.

The organization has no current fourth line center other than Laughton. They have other players that COULD play the position, but the team has yet show any signs of being willing to commit to those players in that role.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
13. Shelley

Oh, wow, I'm glad you cleared up that confusion... I was basing my post on how Lavi handled his roster down the stretch and into the playoffs last season on top of what occurred in the AHL during the lockout with the players down there, but you have shown me the light with baseless opinion... how misguided of me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad