Value of: Scott Hartnell at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think Hartnell could be had for a 2nd round pick in 2017.
Unless he regresses significantly this coming year, that is not helpful for Columbus, and so that would not be accepted.

* * *​
hartnell for desharnais

There have been proposals similar to this in the past that have been worth considering, but the concept took a mortal blow when the need to trade Hartnell went away (with the Tyutin and Boll buyouts), and the Gagner signing has put the final nail in its coffin.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For him to be traded, he'd have to waive his NMC, and the team accepting could theoretically not honor it again, I believe. But I'm certainly not a CBA guru.

One of those misconceptions that gets often repeated here on HFB.

A player that waives their NMC still has it in effect on their new team. The only time NMC/NTC's are voided is if the player is traded before the clause is scheduled to go into effect.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We all learned that in Philly last season when Umberger revealed he still had his NMC and therefore could not be sent to the AHL.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
For him to be traded, he'd have to waive his NMC, and the team accepting could theoretically not honor it again, I believe. But I'm certainly not a CBA guru.

This is false, the new team does not have a choice but to honor it, the only time they get a choice is if the player is traded before his NMC is active, for example PK Subban and the predators

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I doubt any team would really want to trade for him and be forced to protect him (unless NMC is auto-waived in any potential trade?).

He might be a decent guy to help in a playoff run, but no one wants the length of the deal.

Did you not follow the recent free agency signings? Hartnell is as productive or more productive than many of the guys getting $6m deals, and he only has two years left after the trade deadline.

Does anyone doubt that Hartnell would have gotten a $4.75m x 3 year deal in free agency? I think he'd have gotten a bigger deal than that.

I would do Hartnell for Girardi or Staal

Hartnell is an effective scorer, those two are just bad D at this point. Maybe they turn it around but they're not good right now and Hartnell is just fine.

I wonder if they would package a prospect like Sonny Milano with Hartnell only because there was a report Sonny Milano was traded at the draft so it wasn't that long ago they were willing to move him.

Maybe it's not Milano but I wonder if they package a prospect or pick with Hartnell to move that NMC

Hartnell is positive value. Maybe very little, I'm not sure, but the idea of moving Milano just to move Hartnell's NMC is nonsense. At worst the NMC / protection spot will see Las Vegas take one of Karlsson/ Calvert / Josh Anderson at the expansion draft. I'd be heartbroken to lose Anderson but he's at a similar level as a prospect as Milano. So it makes no sense to give up Milano and lose Hartnell when the worst thing that could happen is losing Anderson.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Did you not follow the recent free agency signings? Hartnell is as productive or more productive than many of the guys getting $6m deals, and he only has two years left after the trade deadline.

Does anyone doubt that Hartnell would have gotten a $4.75m x 3 year deal in free agency? I think he'd have gotten a bigger deal than that.

Jiri Hudler didn't, and he outscored Hartnell the past two seasons.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-2-nhl-seasons-forwards-stats.html

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You must be aNYR fan cause no other team wants either of those guys.

J2F is a Jackets fan with a penchant for straightfaced sarcasm.

* * *​
Jiri Hudler didn't, and he outscored Hartnell the past two seasons.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-2-nhl-seasons-forwards-stats.html

Hudler doesn't have the reputation for "toughness" that some of those other guys that have gotten contracts do, so I'm not too terribly surprised that he's getting overlooked. Disappointed, but not surprised. That wouldn't have been an issue with Hartnell, tho.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hartnell for Berglund + Rattie
We save almost nothing on cap, downgrade considerably in production, lose a useful mentor for the kids, and our bonus incentive is a guy looking like a AAAA player at age 23. But, hey, no more NMC, right?

No thanks.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

That's only if the player was traded before the NMC kicked in (ex: Subban).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That's only if the player was traded before the NMC kicked in (ex: Subban).

200_s.gif

Thanks for clarifying, everyone!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
We save almost nothing on cap, downgrade considerably in production, lose a useful mentor for the kids, and our bonus incentive is a guy looking like a AAAA player at age 23. But, hey, no more NMC, right?

No thanks.

It does cut two years off with slight savings (like 200K I thought). This is a trade I would do as an offseason because if we're out at the TDL I think Berglund would be easy to flip at the TDL. Rattie just doesn't seem to have lived up to his potential. Maybe someone like Poganski instead?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It does cut two years off with slight savings (like 200K I thought). This is a trade I would do as an offseason because if we're out at the TDL I think Berglund would be easy to flip at the TDL. Rattie just doesn't seem to have lived up to his potential. Maybe someone like Poganski instead?
Next offseason, maybe. Not this one, IMO.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
If the Habs are in playoff picture (high spot) I'm sure Hartnell will be on the target; Hudon, DD (Cap dump) and a 3rd pick 2018 could be a good starting point for Scotty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad