Confirmed with Link: Scott Ford hired, Mike Haviland promoted to assistant coaches. Boll, McCarthy retained. Recchi, Dorsett out

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Ford is another rough and tough customer … nicknamed the sheriff … seems like Evason loved him and often gave him the room to speak

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Haviland gets to coach the PP, one thing I'd like is that he's been around the org long enough to know what doesn't work.

We've had a shit PP since the second half of Werenski's rookie year. We've gone through coach after coach after coach on the PP. And when we bring in someone from outside the org, often times they come in and say "oh easy, Gaudreau here, Laine there, and Werenski there. Such great opportunity with this great cast." And we end up repeating the same stale style with the same mistakes.

In my opinion, we either need someone new at the QB position who has a better arsenal of fakes and can free up shooters on both halfwalls, or if we're going to keep Werenski at the point it has to be a PP in motion. Werenski is legit one of the best offensive D in the league if he's moving. Guys like Fantilli, Chinakhov, Marchenko, etc... are excellent when they're weaving.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I remember Ford from his year with Dayton (ECHL). He was a very solid player who was part of a team that reached the Kelly Cup finals that season.

When he played with Milwaukee they were (and are) the affiliate of Nashville. The Predators had a ton of very good defensemen in his era: Josi, Seth Jones, Ryan Ellis to name a few. The Preds organization had solid defensemen at all levels: Nashville/Milwakee/Cincinnati (ECHL). Given his leadership role on the Admirals as a defenseman, it would odd if he isn't involved with the CBJ defensive scheme.

Both Ford and Haviland are in what I'd call the "career coach" category-a welcome change from the recent CBJ history of hiring coaches and managers whose chief qualifications were that they played for the CBJ (Boll/Dorsett/Nash/Letestu).

The more I see of Waddell the less I think of Jarmo/JD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoggz22 and Jovavic

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
So to me it appears as though Haviland will run the forwards and PP, Ford gets the D and PK, and McCarthy may assist on the PK. Boll I have no idea still. Maybe assist on the PP?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
If Haviland gets to coach the PP, one thing I'd like is that he's been around the org long enough to know what doesn't work.
haviland was on the cleveland staff the last two years, where david jiricek was a huge part of the power play. i think part of vincent/recchi's reluctance to give him minutes there was because he was a kid who they didn't trust, but haviland has a ton of familiarity with him.

We've had a shit PP since the second half of Werenski's rookie year. We've gone through coach after coach after coach on the PP. And when we bring in someone from outside the org, often times they come in and say "oh easy, Gaudreau here, Laine there, and Werenski there. Such great opportunity with this great cast." And we end up repeating the same stale style with the same mistakes.
recchi actually tried a lot of different stuff, most of it didn't work at all (laine up high on the right side, going away from the 1-3-1, etc.)

to his credit, some of it did! they had a cool entry where they'd create a dangerous rush chance from the right flank. problem is, they kept drawing up that entry for… justin danforth.

In my opinion, we either need someone new at the QB position who has a better arsenal of fakes and can free up shooters on both halfwalls, or if we're going to keep Werenski at the point it has to be a PP in motion. Werenski is legit one of the best offensive D in the league if he's moving. Guys like Fantilli, Chinakhov, Marchenko, etc... are excellent when they're weaving.
agreed – long-term, i think mateychuk best fits that role, but i'd like to see them try jiricek this year simply because it opens up a chance for him to rotate into the laine spot when gaudreau is moving around.

------ 19 (net-adjacent rather than netfront)
13 - 23 - 91
–-- 55 or 5 (if he makes the team)

gaudreau can come downhill, and fantilli can find open space for a sharp-angle one-timer or tap-in on the back post. monahan is awesome in the bumper. johnson is their best right side half wall guy imo.

second unit could have the russians + boone + werenski.

Reactions: LJ7 and squashmaple

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Both Ford and Haviland are in what I'd call the "career coach" category-a welcome change from the recent CBJ history of hiring coaches and managers whose chief qualifications were that they played for the CBJ (Boll/Dorsett/Nash/Letestu).

The advantage here is that it is an outside hire. We're getting someone who is coming from another organization and has a bit more experience.

Scott Ford was a player who was hired by his team when he retired, similar story as those guys you mentioned. A guy like Letestu could keep being an assistant in Cleveland for 5-10 years and then get plucked by an NHL team to be an assistant there. If Ford fits your category of "career coach" then Letestu would be as well with a little more experience.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am just glad Evanston is able to bring in his own guy in Ford. He knows where Ford’s loyalty lies. This idea that we keep assistant coaches through coaching changes is pretty stupid. Who wants to be a head coach went he knows all of the assistants are loyal to the GM or someone else?

Reactions: NotWendell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad