Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Looking at the Hockeyviz coaching impact charts, and Davis Payne was a strong head coach, and he was also a very bad head coach the next season. Illustrates how difficult it is to fully evaluate a coach's impact when teams are in flux and not very talented...

View attachment 884053View attachment 884054
lol, this is from like 15 years ago. how meaningful is this or have any sort of bearing in 2024 when he is an Assistant.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The Calder Cup Final was in 2008....how many NHLers are still in the league form 2008? Lol

He's got a losing record as a head coach in the NHL. His assistant coach accolades don't take away from the fact he has been an awful head coach.

There is a reason CBJ fans are laughing at us.
He got locked out of a room in Columbus. That's impressive for only a season and a half!

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So far I like what I've seen from Arniel, even though it's extremely early to say so. The solid defensive play looks to have been maintained and the things that needed improving (THE POWER PLAY) have improved so far.

I'm optimistic, but again it's too early to say anything otherwise.
Yup, took all the best parts of the bones tenure and improved everywhere else so far. I have some crow to eat, I was wanting Mr Outside hire

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yup it's a long season and this team has shown a propensity to fade as the season gets tougher.

Of course the only season that really matters is the playoffs. I'll reserve judgement after the cup is awarded
The one big change I've noticed that Arniel has made from Bone's system is that they're backing off into a 1-2-2 in the neutral zone when they turn the puck over in the offensive zone instead of working like madmen trying to get the puck back

I'm hoping that will preserve some energy and they won't fade as hard as the season rolls on as they did the couple of years under Bones

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The one big change I've noticed that Arniel has made from Bone's system is that they're backing off into a 1-2-2 in the neutral zone when they turn the puck over in the offensive zone instead of working like madmen trying to get the puck back

I'm hoping that will preserve some energy and they won't fade as hard as the season rolls on as they did the couple of years under Bones

Good observation. I had just noticed there was a lot more 1-2-2 last night.

Reactions: Buffdog

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I remember when Maurice left some Jets analytics heros on Twitter were saying they shouldn't hire Arniel and they should hire Pascal Vincent. Same guys were saying to blow it up.

Reactions: tarozi

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Yup it's a long season and this team has shown a propensity to fade as the season gets tougher.

Of course the only season that really matters is the playoffs. I'll reserve judgement after the cup is awarded
I feel your statement, but in his defense at what point is it not the coaches but the players that are the problem... Too easy to lay the blame at the feet of coaches sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad