Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
And Brad Lauer will be elevated to associate coach....
take-that-back-now.jpg

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I mean he was the associate coach of a Rangers team that had a lot of playoff success and went to a finals. He was an assistant on a Caps team that made the playoffs consistently and we made the playoffs consistiently with him as associate coach.

None of those teams won because of him. The Rangers were Vigneault and King Henry's team. The Capitals was Laviolette and Ovechkin. The Jets have made the playoffs consistently since 2017. They almost had a historic collapse last season, and flamed out spectacularly in the playoffs this season. Nobody was celebrating Scott Arniel as an important cog in the machine. Has he learned something in those years? Hopefully. Otherwise he wouldn't still be coaching. I hate that this is the safe, sure, loyal bet that Mark Chipman loves.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really thought they were going to circle in Todd Nelson, especially with the reports they had been wanting to wait and speak with him.

The timing of this feels so odd, the end result not so much.

Maybe they reached out to Nelson in the last few days given his team doesn't play again until the 30th.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
None of those teams won because of him. The Rangers were Vigneault and King Henry's team. The Capitals was Laviolette and Ovechkin. The Jets have made the playoffs consistently since 2017. They almost had a historic collapse last season, and flamed out spectacularly in the playoffs this season. Nobody was celebrating Scott Arniel as an important cog in the machine. Has he learned something in those years? Hopefully. Otherwise he wouldn't still be coaching. I hate that this is the safe, sure, loyal bet that Mark Chipman loves.

I mean you could say the same about every assistant. We also really don't know how important he was to any of those teams. But yes on the face it looks like a Chipman influenced decision. I personally would have gone a different direction but I'm all for giving him a chance as well.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I imagine this is how a banana must feel.

It waits its entire life, just waiting to be picked from the tree. As it grows up, it sees all the older bananas get picked. Brother Banana, Sister Banana, and the whole Banana Brood goes before them, and the banana is hopeful to see what happens when it's finally their day to be picked.

It's only when they are picked that they realize that they're simply going to be chopped up to used in a delicious peanut butter and banana sandwich. Their disappointment must surely be immeasurable; their day is ruined.

That's a pretty solid metaphor for how I'm feeling about this coaching hire. In fact, I don't think it is humanly possible to describe it any better.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
i know people have dumped on lauer and arniel for the special teams. Could it be the players in the ice? Edmonton’s PP isn’t from the coaching. Big sak was excellent on the PK here with that size and reach. Maybe its a personnel issue

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe they reached out to Nelson in the last few days given his team doesn't play again until the 30th.

Potentially.

I do know that his season with Hersey had the chance to run right basically into the Draft.

I guess the bright spot is they can now focus on personnel decisions immediately and have input from a guy who was front and center.

Either way, meh.

Reactions: roccerfeller

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I mean you could say the same about every assistant. We also really don't know how important he was to any of those teams. But yes on the face it looks like a Chipman influenced decision. I personally would have gone a different direction but I'm all for giving him a chance as well.
I mean he was the associate coach of a Rangers team that had a lot of playoff success and went to a finals. He was an assistant on a Caps team that made the playoffs consistently and we made the playoffs consistiently with him as associate coach.

I mean him getting a promotion is no different than any other assistant getting a chance at head coach. Kings just did it, Blues did it and won a cup etc. If he didn't earn it then most of the rest didn't either.
I mean, I mean, I mean.....so you really don't know how important he is, yet list all these team as if you do.

Reactions: Board Bard

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i know people have dumped on lauer and arniel for the special teams. Could it be the players in the ice? Edmonton’s PP isn’t from the coaching. Big sak was excellent on the PK here with that size and reach. Maybe its a personnel issue

Our PK was great with Arniel last year and he ran a good one in Washington. No idea what happend this past year.

With Lauer it seems like he's been fired a couple times for running a poor one. But until our core wants to actually move their feet on the PP not much will change imo.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Bu bu but Todd Nelson! But new young coach!

Arniel was hired early when finding a new coach years ago. Was distinctly titled associate coach. This imo was always going to be the result.
This outcome was baked in the day they got Bones to put off retirement and come here for 2 years, Bones leaves and Arniel slides into the HC chair. Speaking of Bones he looked real good last night like a 2 ton boulder had been take off his shoulders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad