Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Posted this in the coaching thread but it's more applicable here now:

Not all that surprising. Curious how he will lead this group on his own. Will he keep Bones schemes, modify them slightly, or will he do his own thing.

What about assistants and special teams. Will he get to choose his own assistants

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He wasn't my top choice but happy for him that he gets another opportunity. Let's see how much he's learned since his last head coaching gig. He's got a much better group to work with this time. Hopefully he makes the most of it and helps get us over the hump.

This to me also signifies they want to build on what Bones laid and not make full scale changes to systems and schemes.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I am not surprised by the decision, but I can't even be happy for him. Sure he gets another shot, but what the f*** has he even done to earn it? He had a hot month in December sure, but saying he earned it is very shortsighted. At this point you're not even shuffling the deck chairs on the cruise ship - you're bringing up a recliner from second class.

I'm going to keep an open mind about it, but I'm not going to pretend to be enthusiastic. The silver lining is we at least have to look at the special team's coaching again.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He wasn't my top choice but happy for him that he gets another opportunity. Let's see how much he's learned since his last head coaching gig. He's got a much better group to work with this time. Hopefully he makes the most of it and helps get us over the hump.

This to me also signifies they want to build on what Bones laid and not make full scale changes to systems and schemes.

Yes, but does that mean retaining Dillon and DeMelo? What about Pionk and Schmidt?

It looks like running it back but what roster will he have to work with?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
5fcaeb60-7c3c-43ac-8d5f-25d5bb5d2a22_text.gif

Reactions: Guardian17

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am not surprised by the decision, but I can't even be happy for him. Sure he gets another shot, but what the f*** has he even done to earn it? He had a hot month in December sure, but saying he earned it is very shortsighted. At this point you're not even shuffling the deck chairs on the cruise ship - you're bringing up a recliner from second class.

I'm going to keep an open mind about it, but I'm not going to pretend to be enthusiastic. The silver lining is we at least have to look at the special team's coaching again.

I mean he was the associate coach of a Rangers team that had a lot of playoff success and went to a finals. He was an assistant on a Caps team that made the playoffs consistently and we made the playoffs consistiently with him as associate coach.

I mean him getting a promotion is no different than any other assistant getting a chance at head coach. Kings just did it, Blues did it and won a cup etc. If he didn't earn it then most of the rest didn't either.

Nov 24, 2006
This is not a surprise, we all knew this was likely going to happen.

I'm not against Scott Arniel at all, I think we need to give the man a chance. I will be curious to see how the team plays under him next year, and I do hope there's some serious thought given to replacing those who are responsible for our poor PK and PP stats.

Last edited:

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Really thought they were going to circle in Todd Nelson, especially with the reports they had been wanting to wait and speak with him.

The timing of this feels so odd, the end result not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad