Scoring pace ("matnor" method)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I wanted to revisit an idea that @matnor presented about a decade ago. (He was a great poster and, unfortunately, no longer appears to be active). matnor was trying to find a way to measure the number of games that each player played at a scoring pace that was high to lead the league (or give them a 5th place finish - or any other rank).

It's always been tough to deal with players who scored at a high rate in partial seasons. For example, it feels unfair to give Peter Forsberg credit for leading the league in scoring in 2004. He was by far the league's leader in points per game, but he only played in 39 games. It doesn't feel right to give him credit for an Art Ross trophy (taking it away from Martin St. Louis, who wasn't quite as good, but who played in all 82 games). On the other hand, it also feels misleading to treat Forsberg as finishing tied for 47th in scoring, as if he were no different than Shawn McEachern, Nils Ekman, or Tyler Arnason.

matnor's method (link) says, essentially - let's recognize that Forsberg scored at the highest rate in 2004. But he'll only get credit for doing so for 39 games. (The purpose of the method isn't to crown a new scoring champion each season - it's to look at how many games a player played at a certain pace during the entire career).

There are two important modifications that I've made to the method. The first one is simple - all seasons are adjusted in length to 82 games. Jean Beliveau gets credit for leading the league in PPG for 82 games in 1956 (because it's not his fault the schedule was only 70 games back then). Then in 1959, he gets credit for 64/70*82 = approximately 75 games at this pace. (I treated the 2020 season as being exactly 70 games in length, even though the actual length varied from 68 to 71 games - thanks to COVID).

The second modification is I didn't have any minimum thresholds for games played. If a player played at least half the games, PPG is calculated normally. If a player played in less than half the games, I take his actual point total, and add enough scoreless games to get him to the 50% threshold. (Otherwise, in 2004 as an example, Peter Forsberg wouldn't get credit for anything whatsoever with his 39 games, but Marc Savard's 45 games would qualify - it didn't feel right to disqualify Forsberg entirely when there's only a difference of six games). So Forsberg's adjusted PPG is 55 (actual points) / 41 (39 actual games + 2 scoreless games) = 1.34 PPG. In this case, it's still enough to lead the league (and Forsberg only gets credited for the 39 actual games he played). Sometimes, the order changes. For example, in 1952, Dickie Moore played in 33 of the 70 games, and scored more PPG than Ted Lindsay. However, after adding two scoreless games to get Moore up to the 35 game mark (half the schedule), he fell behind Terrible Ted. So Moore was 2nd in PPG in real life, but he gets knocked down to 3rd in this method (but at least he gets some credit, rather than having the season disqualified outright).

All data has been compiled in good faith. There's a lot of numbers here (more than 1 million cells of data), so let me know if anything jumps out as being inaccurate.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Games played at top-1 PPG pace (1927-2022)

Player1st
Wayne Gretzky872
Gordie Howe567
Mario Lemieux452
Phil Esposito406
Sidney Crosby339
Connor McDavid326
Stan Mikita324
Bill Cowley274
Guy Lafleur234
Alex Ovechkin233
Jean Beliveau227
Jaromir Jagr221
Elmer Lach164
Sweeney Schriner164
Bill Cook164
Max Bentley159
Bobby Hull158
Howie Morenz153
Charlie Conacher152
Ted Lindsay149
Peter Forsberg114

This table shows the 21 players in NHL history (1927 to 2022) who have scored at a league-leading PPG pace for more than one full season.

I was surprised to see Howe finish ahead of Lemieux. In addition to leading the league in PPG during each of the six years he won the Art Ross (playing every single game on the schedule), he also very narrowly led the league in PPG in 1958 (where he gets credit for another 75 adjusted games). However, Lemieux lost out on 225 games thanks to Gretzky. If we give him credit for that, he'd be up to 676 games, which would move him ahead of Howe.

Sidney Crosby looks really good based on this metric (5th place). Note that, after making the adjustments I mentioned above, his 2012 season doesn't qualify.

Connor McDavid looks even better. As of today, it looks virtually certain that McDavid will lead the league in PPG this year (2023). If he plays every game this season, he'll end up with 408 games, which would put him in 4th place. He's still only 26.

Notable players who didn't make this list - Bobby Orr, Maurice Richard, Bobby Clarke, Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy, Eric Lindros, Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Andy Bathgate, Marcel Dionne, Evgeni Malkin, Patrick Kane, etc.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Games played at top-3 PPG pace (1927-2022)

Player3rd
Wayne Gretzky1,103
Gordie Howe950
Mario Lemieux743
Stan Mikita703
Jean Beliveau693
Jaromir Jagr680
Phil Esposito649
Maurice Richard555
Sidney Crosby544
Connor McDavid524
Guy Lafleur474
Bobby Orr470
Bobby Hull469
Evgeni Malkin439
Ted Lindsay395
Charlie Conacher371
Bernie Geoffrion358
Marcel Dionne328
Andy Bathgate322
Busher Jackson301
Doug Bentley294
Sweeney Schriner289
Syl Apps Sr278
Bill Cowley274
Dickie Moore269
Eric Lindros267
Martin St. Louis246
Joe Thornton240
Max Bentley236
Alex Ovechkin233
Howie Morenz231
Joe Sakic215

This table shows the 32 players in NHL history (1927 to 2022) who have scored at a top-three PPG pace for more than 200 games.

Jaromir Jagr looks much better based on this metric. In addition to finishing 2nd to Lemieux twice (1996 and 2001), he also finished 2nd to Lindros (1995), 2nd to Thornton (2006), and 3rd to Lemieux and Lindros (1997). Taking league dynamics into account (ie a 3rd place finish in a 20-30 team league is more impressive than a 3rd place finish in a six-team league), his result is more impressive than Mikita and Beliveau's.

By the time this season's over, McDavid will be in 8th place on this list (passing Richard and Crosby).

Notable players who didn't make this list - Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, Peter Forsberg, Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy, Teemu Selanne, Patrick Kane, etc.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Games played at top-5 PPG pace (1927-2022)

Player5th
Gordie Howe1,587
Wayne Gretzky1,103
Maurice Richard849
Sidney Crosby784
Stan Mikita783
Bobby Hull775
Mario Lemieux743
Jean Beliveau693
Jaromir Jagr680
Phil Esposito649
Syl Apps Sr607
Andy Bathgate569
Connor McDavid524
Evgeni Malkin496
Marcel Dionne492
Ted Lindsay477
Bernie Geoffrion477
Guy Lafleur474
Bobby Orr470
Doug Bentley455
Bill Cowley437
Elmer Lach399
Alex Ovechkin396
Howie Morenz395
Mike Bossy392
Patrick Kane386
Busher Jackson379
Joe Sakic377
Charlie Conacher371
Eric Lindros338
Peter Forsberg337
Marty Barry326
Max Bentley315
Steve Yzerman311
Bryan Trottier309
Jari Kurri301

This table shows the 36 players in NHL history (1927 to 2022) who have scored at a top-five PPG pace for more than 300 games.

As mentioned before, this doesn't take into account the size of the league. Still, after making any reasonable adjustments, Howe playing nearly 1,600 games at a top-five PPG pace is absurd. In all of NHL history, only 12 other players have played that many games.

Syl Apps wasn't on either of the past two tables, but he rises to 11th here. Same disclaimer - it was a smaller league back then, and 5th place then might be more like 10th place today. But 600 games at that pace is still really impressive.

Notable players who didn't make this list - Mark Messier, Bobby Clarke, Joe Thornton, Teem Selanne, Milt Schmidt, etc.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Games played at top-10 PPG pace (1927-2022)

Player10th
Gordie Howe1,669
Wayne Gretzky1,267
Jean Beliveau1,088
Maurice Richard1,013
Bobby Hull933
Sidney Crosby865
Mario Lemieux818
Stan Mikita783
Ted Lindsay774
Andy Bathgate733
Phil Esposito729
Marcel Dionne722
Nels Stewart700
Evgeni Malkin696
Joe Sakic693
Mark Messier692
Syl Apps Sr681
Jaromir Jagr680
Bill Cowley645
Elmer Lach634
Alex Ovechkin634
Mike Bossy629
Alex Delvecchio621
Bernie Geoffrion603
Frank Boucher570
John Bucyk551
Patrick Kane550
Peter Forsberg544
Teemu Selanne539
Doug Bentley530
Steve Yzerman530
Henri Richard529
Eric Lindros528
Paul Coffey528
Guy Lafleur526
Connor McDavid524
Denis Savard519

This table shows the 37 players in NHL history (1927 to 2022) who have scored at a top-ten PPG pace for more than 500 games. (This will be the last table for now).

League dynamics become more prominent here. It probably isn't a coincidence that four of the top five players peaked during the Original Six era (though Howe's margin over everyone else is comical).

Under this method, it's better to have lots of pretty good seasons, rather than an all-time great peak. Thus Alex Delvecchio and Johnny Bucyk rank ahead of Guy Lafleur.

Several people have noted that Pierre Turgeon had the misfortune of being injured in many of his best seasons (so he was only a top ten scorer twice). He looks pretty good by this metric (with 342 games). Other notable players in the 300-400 game range (from expansion onwards) include Jari Kurri, Brett Hull, Gilbert Perreault, Jarome Iginla, Steven Stamkos, Michel Goulet, Ryan Getzlaf, Ilya Kovalchuk, and Dany Heatley.

Notable players who didn't make this list - Bobby Clarke (close call), Howie Morenz (keep in mind his pre-1927 career is ignored), Bobby Orr, Bryan Trottier, Milt Schmidt, Ted Kennedy, etc.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
League dynamics become more prominent here. It probably isn't a coincidence that four of the top five players peaked during the Original Six era (though Howe's margin over everyone else is comical).
This, with an era or about only forward will make the Top 10 and some season from only 3 teams of players on the same line, 10 would be getting almost all the forward of best power play first unit of the league and if you are good enough to stay on it when you have that chance, you will stay on that top 10.

Part of Sakic prime was under arguably significantly lower talent level than Yzerman offensive prime, but still he look good under that versus his most natural nemesis and seem to go into the mode that we can easily overdo the if only Gretzky-Lemieux was not that good but just Jagr good what his career would have looked like.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Very interesting method in general. For being created to give context to Forsberg, he doesn't look great.

Howe comes across very very strongly here.

Suprised how strongly Richard looks in the top 3 top 5 lists.

Jagr looks good in top 3, but nothing else.

Hull looks surprisingly poor.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The how well understood H. Richards historically story continue to me.

Would it not be of BraveCanadian here, I would be completely underestimating him, that ranking is with little power play production.

During his "prime" of 58 to 70 H.Richard was 4th in even strengh points scoring at the same rate than Hull-Howe, only 20th in ppp.

Has for Forsberg maybe if our brain adjust for the era, because Forsberg > Yzerman offensive peak wise, more longevity prime has well, once you consider all around game matchin his offensive peak and what he did in the playoff at the same time

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Very interesting method in general. For being created to give context to Forsberg, he doesn't look great.

Howe comes across very very strongly here.

Suprised how strongly Richard looks in the top 3 top 5 lists.

Hull looks surprisingly poor.
Jagr also looks really good looking at top 2 pace:

Player2nd
Wayne Gretzky1,103
Mario Lemieux743
Gordie Howe704
Jaromir Jagr548
Jean Beliveau531
Phil Esposito488
Connor McDavid479
Sidney Crosby467
Stan Mikita400
Bobby Hull397

McDavid, incredibly, could end up in 4th place by the end of the season.

For Forsberg - the most favourable way to show his results would be to look at 6th place finishes (since he had one year where he finished 5th in PPG, and two more where he finished 6th). He ranks 19th all-time under that approach - below Malkin, Bossy and Sakic, but above Lafleur(!) and Lindros. Of course, there lots of players where we could play around with the parameters to find their optimal presentation.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Feel like I do not have the good name here ;)

I wanted to say the older poster that passed away a couple of years ago that had seen live play those older guys a lot.

Oh that was Canadiens1958 I think.. but yes Henri did not get as much powerplay time and that certainly impacts his numbers.. however if I recall correctly there is also some indication that maybe he wasn't as good in a set format on the PP in comparison to free-wheeling it a bit off the rush.

Or maybe he was just so good at ES and Montreal had the depth they could specialize him. Tough to say for sure!

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019

Depends on expectations I think? I noticed that he had the same amount of games at top 3, top 5 and top 10 pace. That’s 8.5 full seasons of top 3 finishes. Sure, I suppose it also means he dropped considerably by his ninth season, whereas Messier, Sakic, Malkin, Esposito, Dionne added more games at specifically top 10/not top 5 pace, among players with significant parts of their careers in the expansion era.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I wanted to revisit an idea that @matnor presented about a decade ago. (He was a great poster and, unfortunately, no longer appears to be active). matnor was trying to find a way to measure the number of games that each player played at a scoring pace that was high to lead the league (or give them a 5th place finish - or any other rank).

It's always been tough to deal with players who scored at a high rate in partial seasons. For example, it feels unfair to give Peter Forsberg credit for leading the league in scoring in 2004. He was by far the league's leader in points per game, but he only played in 39 games. It doesn't feel right to give him credit for an Art Ross trophy (taking it away from Martin St. Louis, who wasn't quite as good, but who played in all 82 games). On the other hand, it also feels misleading to treat Forsberg as finishing tied for 47th in scoring, as if he were no different than Shawn McEachern, Nils Ekman, or Tyler Arnason.

matnor's method (link) says, essentially - let's recognize that Forsberg scored at the highest rate in 2004. But he'll only get credit for doing so for 39 games. (The purpose of the method isn't to crown a new scoring champion each season - it's to look at how many games a player played at a certain pace during the entire career).

There are two important modifications that I've made to the method. The first one is simple - all seasons are adjusted in length to 82 games. Jean Beliveau gets credit for leading the league in PPG for 82 games in 1956 (because it's not his fault the schedule was only 70 games back then). Then in 1959, he gets credit for 64/70*82 = approximately 75 games at this pace. (I treated the 2020 season as being exactly 70 games in length, even though the actual length varied from 68 to 71 games - thanks to COVID).

The second modification is I didn't have any minimum thresholds for games played. If a player played at least half the games, PPG is calculated normally. If a player played in less than half the games, I take his actual point total, and add enough scoreless games to get him to the 50% threshold. (Otherwise, in 2004 as an example, Peter Forsberg wouldn't get credit for anything whatsoever with his 39 games, but Marc Savard's 45 games would qualify - it didn't feel right to disqualify Forsberg entirely when there's only a difference of six games). So Forsberg's adjusted PPG is 55 (actual points) / 41 (39 actual games + 2 scoreless games) = 1.34 PPG. In this case, it's still enough to lead the league (and Forsberg only gets credited for the 39 actual games he played). Sometimes, the order changes. For example, in 1952, Dickie Moore played in 33 of the 70 games, and scored more PPG than Ted Lindsay. However, after adding two scoreless games to get Moore up to the 35 game mark (half the schedule), he fell behind Terrible Ted. So Moore was 2nd in PPG in real life, but he gets knocked down to 3rd in this method (but at least he gets some credit, rather than having the season disqualified outright).

All data has been compiled in good faith. There's a lot of numbers here (more than 1 million cells of data), so let me know if anything jumps out as being inaccurate.

Fantastic work, as usual, HO.

I think this is an important lens through which to view scoring. No single method will ever provide a holistic picture, so we need as many rational ways of framing the question as possible.

This is like a strange mirror of VsX in that it focuses solely on scoring pace rather than season totals. Hopefully this gets picked up and used by the forum as a whole because I think it's really valuable.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
These types of lists are always problematic because it's a very simplistic view of hockey history that treats every season/every era as equal. Given the huge differences in the quantity of quality hockey players over different eras, the result is an extremely inaccurate picture of the best scorers over time.

The issue isn't the number of teams; rather its the depth of quality players.

The Original 6 stars, for example, are vastly overrated on some of these lists, in comparison to players from parts of the '80s and '90s when the NHL talent pool was far bigger, and there were substantially more elite players, and therefore a lot more competition among the best scorers.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Everything I've said is accurate, which is why you're not challenging it. You just don't like that I'm telling the truth.
Yes but will be true at every list of every statistics ever, no ?

Not a single stats (would it points, art ross, stanley cup, Top 10 in points, etc..) will not be highly dependant of the era and the strength of teammate-competition players will be.

It is a description of the very challenge-nature of comparing Athlete over different time.

Reactions: wetcoast

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Yes but will be true at every list of every statistics ever, no ?

Not a single stats (would it points, art ross, stanley cup, Top 10 in points, etc..) will not be highly dependant of the era and the strength of teammate-competition players will be.

It is a description of the very challenge-nature of comparing Athlete over different time.
Yes, there are huge differences in player quality in different eras, and it's not reflected, at all, in this kind of data.

It's like if you compared the yearly 5-best 17-year-old hockey players from each of Ontario, Manitoba, and PEI, and just assumed the competition is equal for each.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
and it's not reflected, at all, in this kind of data.
In what data take into account player quality in different eras ?

Not goals scored, not points, not scoring finish, not winning, and even less so the eye test has it will be vastly relative to how much you look good versus what the best hockey player can and usually do.

Not a single one, right ? And we can be confident that everyone reading this thread will known that, or do you feel it is more true for this kind of data than any others ?

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
In what data take into account player quality in different eras ?

Not goals scored, not points, not scoring finish, not winning, and even less so the eye test has it will be vastly relative to how much you look good versus what the best hockey player can and usually do.

Not a single one, right ? And we can be confident that everyone reading this thread will known that, or do you feel it is more true for this kind of data than any others ?
I don't understand what your point is. It sounds like whataboutism.

You agree with what I'm saying, but you don't want me to say it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
You agree with what I'm saying, but you don't want me to say it.
What you said was already mentionned in thread, I even myself responding to someone that was making it said a couple of message above:
This, with an era or about only forward will make the Top 10 and some season from only 3 teams of players on the same line, 10 would be getting almost all the forward of best power play first unit of the league and if you are good enough to stay on it when you have that chance, you will stay on that top 10.

The way you said it, made it sound has if anyone was thinking that being in the top 10 in ppg in 1922 was the same than 1992 or made it sound like if this was more true of this stats than say how many goal a player scored or winning the art ross or the stanley cup in any way that feel a bit like your insulting people intelligence.

Maybe you mean that metric is more biased for the era they played in than how many goals they scored, if so, how so ?

Reactions: seventieslord

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
What you said was already mentionned in thread, I even myself responding to someone that was making it said a couple of message above:

The way you said it, made it sound has if anyone was thinking that being in the top 10 in ppg in 1922 was the same than 1992 or made it sound like if this was more true of this stats than say how many goal a player scored or winning the art ross or the stanley cup in any way that feel a bit like your insulting people intelligence.

Maybe you mean that metric is more biased for the era they played in than how many goals they scored, if so, how so ?
No, it's nothing to do with points-per-game (ppg). Goals, assists, points, ppg, they're all the same issue. They would all be the same problem if presented this way.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
No, it's nothing to do with points-per-game (ppg). Goals, assists, points, ppg, they're all the same issue. They would all be the same problem if presented this way.
Or presented in any way, right ? Or what would you propose has a way to present any stats that would take account quality of the league ?

Again you make it sound has if this current post was special in any way in this regard, when it come with any possible presentation of any possible thing.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
How could you possibly collect data in any league that would allow you to compare between eras or age groups or leagues? That makes no sense.

Obviously you have to make your own determinations on what is a reasonable way to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad