Schneider and/or Holtby in Game 2?

Schneider and/or Holtby in Game 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It's comical that the Capitals are benching propably the only player on their roster who actually steps up his game for the Playoffs.

He was mediocre last year in the playoffs. Allowed so many back breaking goals. Bonino's breakaway, Hornqvist's backhand. He makes a ton of saves but he lets in so many softies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He was mediocre last year in the playoffs. Allowed so many back breaking goals. Bonino's breakaway, Hornqvist's backhand. He makes a ton of saves but he lets in so many softies.

For what? The first time in his career?

He lets in softies from time to time, sure. In return he bails the team out of situations more than anyone else in the league come playoff time.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Haven't followed the Devils at all really, has Schneider been THAT bad this year? What happened?
He has lost his last 12 games started while allowing 3 or more goals in each of those games. It's likely a combination of age, injuries he's had to deal with this year, and a complete lack of confidence in making routine saves.

He was given a chance to redeem himself in the final game of the season, but instead allows 5 goals to the Caps. He might be done, but who really knows.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
He has lost his last 12 games started while allowing 3 or more goals in each of those games. It's likely a combination of age, injuries he's had to deal with this year, and a complete lack of confidence in making routine saves.
Oh my, that's abysmal.

Yeah I'd guess unless Kinkaid absolutely sucks it up in G2, there's no chance he plays.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Oh my, that's abysmal.

Yeah I'd guess unless Kinkaid absolutely sucks it up in G2, there's no chance he plays.
It's pretty fair to say the Devils aren't even close to being in a playoff spot if it weren't for Kinkaid. We would have been out of the race weeks ago if he didn't step up like he did. He's earned every start he gets in these playoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hell no to Schneider.

Hell f***in no, we don't wanna get swept. He's been the best player for the opponent for all of his last 5 starts. Schneider blows right now, I don't wanna see him unless it's a relief appearance.

I used to be one of the most staunchest Schneider defenders on HF Devils, but not no more. I don't think he's top 10 at anything anymore (top-10 goalies don't have two poor seasons in a row) and I have nothing nice to say about him right now.

Reactions: Palpatine

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't vote because I didn't watch the Caps' game but the Kinkaid did nothing to suggest that Schneider would be a better option yesterday. The first goal was the only one he had a chance on and even that one wasn't on him.
I didn't think he even had much of a chance on the first goal either. I thought the fourth one he might have had a chance on if Mueller and the Lightning guy didn't jump up in the air as the shot was being taken.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holtby deserves more rope than Schneider. He's had a bad season, but it's just one bad season so far. Unless he goes on to repeat it next year like Schneider has done this year, I don't hold it against him yet. Schneider's last 5 starts have rival anything that I saw from twilight era Brodeur.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Would be a big mistake for NJ to start Schneider, IMO.

Nothing Kinkaid could really do on those goals. He's gonna have to stand really tall though. I think he's got a better shot at stealing a game or two than Schneider does.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I didn't think he even had much of a chance on the first goal either. I thought the fourth one he might have had a chance on if Mueller and the Lightning guy didn't jump up in the air as the shot was being taken.

He could have given himself a better chance on the first one. Point wasn't much of a threat on the back door and the play didn't develop all that quickly, so he had the opportunity to play it a bit more aggressively. Johnson didn't get much on the shot, so he probably comes up with a big save if he's on top of the crease. It feels weird arguing that KK made a mistake on a goal you thought he had no chance on.

On the other hand, the fourth goal was a laser that Killorn fired in stride and put in a perfect spot from the high slot. Ideally, you'd want Kinkaid to get set a foot or two outside the crease with Killorn walking down main street like that. But with Gourde as a passing option and Cirelli going hard to the net, he was limited to a more conservative depth. That would have been a really tough save even without the screen. I would almost go so far as to say it was arguably the least stoppable goal of the game on either side.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad